New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    guys, brake/clutch fluid has accumulated on my car's driver side floor carpet as a result of defective clutch master cylinder. just recently, i already had it replaced. how do i get rid of this? i tried using turtle wax carpet cleaner to no avail. medyo marami-dami kasi ang nag seep through sa carpet. i've also been placing newspapers on top of the carpet para ma-absorb nya yung fluid. but i've been doing this for about a week na, meron pa ring fluid sa carpet. pls. help me on this. tnx.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yikes.. it wont work... most carpet cleaners are made to attack organic soils like food, urine, mud, etc... petroleum soils require a petroleum cleaner. basic chemistry...

it happened to me before when my power steering had a leak, i always carried a bottle of ATF with me and sure enough, it spilled.

you have a serious problem in terms of soiling right now... your first problem is the thick foam mat underneath the carpet. No matter how you try to clean that, it won't clean up... So your only recourse is to replace it... It's not that expensive, don't worry.

Your next problem are your carpets... They'll need to be removed or at least lifted to get it cleaned. Your ONLY option is to use a petroleum degreaser. Understand that what you have is basically oil, worse part is, brake fluid's corrosive... so your paint underneath the carpet is in jeopardy of thinning out as well.

Handle the carpet first... Get a good petroleum based degreaser and spray it onto both sides of the carpet... you'll need a heck of a lotta sponges and towels to soak up everything... check for color fastess first, you wouldn't want to stain the carpet further. You can try Simple Green (True Value), Purple Muscle (almost any toolstore), Orange Glo Citrus Cleaner (True Value) or any other good citrus cleaner (Meguiar's has a good one but available only in gallons).

That will take you at least a whole day... you'll probably even need a 2nd helping if the oil has been there long enough...

There's no method other than prolonged cleaning to solve your problem...

Sorry to sound negative, but it's a real pain to clean oil from any porous surface.

Been there, done that...

how do i get rid of brake/clutch fluid from my carpet