New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hello all,

im thinking of getting the hyundai elantra 1.6 or 1.8. but they dont give test drives....so i cant make a good evaluation. please help me out.

what got my attention is the looks. saw one up close today. but i have more questions.

1. how is the insulation? from the outside and the road and the engine? is it quiet as the new cars like the altis? or very noisy and thin insulation like honda civic 1999?

2. ground clearance. the altis always gets scratched at the bottom. from going down driveways (ex banks, etc) to concrete parking slots. honda civic 1999 has no problem with this because it has ground clearance 245mm(front) 245mm(side) 330mm(rear). the elantra says 150mm ground clearance (so does that mean it will also scratch concrete parking slots?)

3. how is the height of the body? i dont like the altis body height. you have to adjust your seat to also become higher. how is the elantra on this?

4. how is the leg room (driver and front)? in the altis you cant open the glove box because its freakin tight.

5. i notice there is no power steering fluid in elantra. is it electronic power steering?

6. how is the suspension and the softness of the seats?

i hope to get one soon but not in a hurry. this is my 2nd car purchase and want to make better decision this time and not just think brand.

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1. how is the insulation? from the outside and the road and the engine? is it quiet as the new cars like the altis? or very noisy and thin insulation like honda civic 1999?

A bit lacking, but not bad. Middle of the road.

2. ground clearance. the altis always gets scratched at the bottom. from going down driveways (ex banks, etc) to concrete parking slots. honda civic 1999 has no problem with this because it has ground clearance 245mm(front) 245mm(side) 330mm(rear). the elantra says 150mm ground clearance (so does that mean it will also scratch concrete parking slots?)

A 99 Civic has 245mm clearance? I don't think so. That's nearly 10 inches. That's SUV clearance. The Civic's ground clearance is between 135 - 170mm, depending on variant. Didn't have many problems with the Elantra on my test drive... 6" is enough for most situations, and it's got more clearance than the ground-scraping Honda Jazz. (5+", around 130mm).

3. how is the height of the body? i dont like the altis body height. you have to adjust your seat to also become higher. how is the elantra on this?

Okay by me, but opinions differ. If you can't test drive, you might as well at least test-sit in the dealership.

4. how is the leg room (driver and front)? in the altis you cant open the glove box because its freakin tight.

Better than the Altis. Unlike the Altis or Civic, the front foot box is pretty roomy.

5. i notice there is no power steering fluid in elantra. is it electronic power steering?

Yes. It's a good EPS system. Not the best, but pretty good.

Soft, not bouncy... though it's not as well-controlled as a Focus or Cruze, it's pretty decent. Handling is pretty good. Seats are unobjectionable and give good support.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    hi nky. here's my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

A bit lacking, but not bad. Middle of the road.

so mas maganda pa ang isulation ng alits sa heat and noise??

A 99 Civic has 245mm clearance? I don't think so. That's nearly 10 inches. That's SUV clearance. The Civic's ground clearance is between 135 - 170mm, depending on variant. Didn't have many problems with the Elantra on my test drive... 6" is enough for most situations, and it's got more clearance than the ground-scraping Honda Jazz. (5+", around 130mm).

yes honda civic old models are the best. never scratch, never upi ang tambucho. pero parang lahat ng sedan ngayon sobrang baba. hindi ba nila alam baha dito sa pinas????

Okay by me, but opinions differ. If you can't test drive, you might as well at least test-sit in the dealership.

ok will go back again

Soft, not bouncy... though it's not as well-controlled as a Focus or Cruze, it's pretty decent. Handling is pretty good. Seats are unobjectionable and give good support.

like the altis ba? altis is more like a family car. soft suspension not sporty but if you go through lubak...sure na fully compressed and springs.

the seats of altis is also very soft kahit long drive ok pa pwet mo. not like civic na you need to bring pillows.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I would think a lot first before getting this car... try to read some forums or go to Elantra Club Philippines... looks can be very deceiving my friend... try to research more pa para wala ka pagsisihan... supposed to buy this car before but i've changed my mind... opinion ko lang ito pero do your research first.... siguraduhin mo na walang issues un car na kukunin mo para di sumakit ulo mo....

5. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    demand for a test drive, then decide. i think maraming dealer ang magooffer nang test drive.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmonk View Post
    I would think a lot first before getting this car... try to read some forums or go to Elantra Club Philippines... looks can be very deceiving my friend... try to research more pa para wala ka pagsisihan... supposed to buy this car before but i've changed my mind... opinion ko lang ito pero do your research first.... siguraduhin mo na walang issues un car na kukunin mo para di sumakit ulo mo....
    Ano po yung mga hindi nyo nagustuhan sa elantra?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    so mas maganda pa ang isulation ng alits sa heat and noise??
    A little bit, yes.

yes honda civic old models are the best. never scratch, never upi ang tambucho. pero parang lahat ng sedan ngayon sobrang baba. hindi ba nila alam baha dito sa pinas????
    The 0.5" to 1" height difference means nothing in terms of flood fording. And like I said, the Elantra is not as prone to bottoming out as the City/Jazz.

like the altis ba? altis is more like a family car. soft suspension not sporty but if you go through lubak...sure na fully compressed and springs.
    Sort of. The new Altis is stiffer than the previous car. The 2000+ Altis was stiff... the 2006+ one was very soft... the current one is not as soft as before but still reasonably comfy. The Elantra falls between the 2006+ and current one in terms of ride softness. The shocks are too soft for my taste, but it never bottomed out during my time with it, unlike the 2006+ model, which was way too soft.

the seats of altis is also very soft kahit long drive ok pa pwet mo. not like civic na you need to bring pillows.
    The new Civic has better (MUCH better) seats than before. No longer back-breaking.

-----

Just because you see problems for cars in forums doesn't mean those problems are there for all cars. Obviously, if you have problems, you'll report them. If you don't... you won't. If you were to believe what you read on forums when the FD Civic and GD Jazz first came out, you'd think that all FDs would burst into flames after losing brake pressure... and that all GDs would have their front suspension break in half over humps.

It takes a lot of research to figure out which problems are true and which are overblown.

One nice site that aggregates car problems is truedelta.com (a forum-mate and co-writer from the US runs it... ), which does online reliability surveys.

2011 Hyundai Elantra Problems and Repair Histories

Both TrueDelta and Consumer Reports, which take statistical samples for the car, show the Elantra as not being any more problematic than most (and better than a lot of cars... Consumer Reports gave it the coveted "Recommended") in the first few years.
    Last edited by niky; May 25th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elviar View Post
    Ano po yung mga hindi nyo nagustuhan sa elantra?
    Drive shaft issues, cv joints... poor casa service...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Funny enough, I'm browsing the Elantra club now, and not a single mention of CV Joint issues for the current car... ( not that there would be this early...)

In fact, the only reports for CV Joint issues for any Elantra online are on 10-15 year old ones... seriously, where are you getting your info from?

10. Join Date
    May 2012
    Hello Everyone,

I was planning to have a car on june. What I want is great fuel efficiency and ofcourse looks. After doing some research I've finally narrowed down my choices to Ford focus diesel 2012 and Hyundai Elantra 2012. I went to a hyundai and ford dealer yesterday and was very disappointed to have found out that their latest focus diesel wasn't available here. Late this year or early next year pdaw ang labas at malabo pang iooffer ang diesel dhl hndi daw pumasa ung cleanliness nito dito. May nabasa rin akong site na meron ng elantra and sonata diesel Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Elantra Price, Review, Mileage | CarDekho India . Any chance na may idea kayo kung kelan to marrelease satin or kung mrrelease pa kaya sya? Malaki ba ang difference ng fuel efficiency ng sonata sa elantra? Medyo bago2ng driver palang ako(2months), marunong akong magmanual. What do u guys think? Manual kaya or ung 1.8L na matic? ok lang po ba yung clutch nya? or may mas ibang mas maganda at matipid na unit pa?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
please help...elantra 1.6/1.8