New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    I've read a previous post regarding the clanking sound on Accent when shifting gears and that problem is also present on my 2013 Accent 6MT Kappa engine. It's been running close to 12k kilometers and since new, I have noticed that sound but the sound was not so disturbing.Unlike now, the sound is more noticeable and really too annoying and embarrassing when shifting gear knowing I'am driving a brand new car . I brought up this problem to the casa and they said they found nothing wrong with the transmission, clutch and transaxle. After they made some check-ups and slight adjustments on transaxle, we test drive the said car with their chief mechanic and he told me that the sound is normal. He even told me that they haven't encountered that problem before,which... I really doubt so much. I told him I have not encountered that issue before even on my old 1994 Toyota Corolla and 2000 Lancer when shifting gears and no matter how hard I drive them, no such issue is present. That sound is present on all gears when shifting and comes out right after releasing the clutch pedal and making "TAK" sound.

I mentioned the problem to one of my friend who also happen owning the same like mine and he told me that he have the same issue . He also brought that issue to the same casa we used to service our cars and he told me that they've only put some additional washers on the transaxle, unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

One day, one of my wife's friend who owns a 2015 Kia Picanto visited our house and we noticed same issue when she was backing up the car. If I'm not mistaken, Kia shares the same Kappa engine like the Hyundai is using now. I don't know if everybody here experiencing the same issue on their Accents or maybe present just on some few cars they are selling. Is it just a poor Korean quality, bad engineering or crappy design? Please comment here if you are experiencing the same issue. With this, I really regret buying a Korean Car and if I could turn back the time, I should be buying a Japanese make.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by palonmar View Post
    I've read a previous post regarding the clanking sound on Accent when shifting gears and that problem is also present on my 2013 Accent 6MT Kappa engine. It's been running close to 12k kilometers and since new, I have noticed that sound but the sound was not so disturbing.Unlike now, the sound is more noticeable and really too annoying and embarrassing when shifting gear knowing I'am driving a brand new car . I brought up this problem to the casa and they said they found nothing wrong with the transmission, clutch and transaxle. After they made some check-ups and slight adjustments on transaxle, we test drive the said car with their chief mechanic and he told me that the sound is normal. He even told me that they haven't encountered that problem before,which... I really doubt so much. I told him I have not encountered that issue before even on my old 1994 Toyota Corolla and 2000 Lancer when shifting gears and no matter how hard I drive them, no such issue is present. That sound is present on all gears when shifting and comes out right after releasing the clutch pedal and making "TAK" sound.

I mentioned the problem to one of my friend who also happen owning the same like mine and he told me that he have the same issue . He also brought that issue to the same casa we used to service our cars and he told me that they've only put some additional washers on the transaxle, unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

One day, one of my wife's friend who owns a 2015 Kia Picanto visited our house and we noticed same issue when she was backing up the car. If I'm not mistaken, Kia shares the same Kappa engine like the Hyundai is using now. I don't know if everybody here experiencing the same issue on their Accents or maybe present just on some few cars they are selling. Is it just a poor Korean quality, bad engineering or crappy design? Please comment here if you are experiencing the same issue. With this, I really regret buying a Korean Car and if I could turn back the time, I should be buying a Japanese make.
    Sir can you be more specific on the 'clanking' sound that you mentioned? Please describe how exactly it sounds. The way I understand it, manual transmissions do tend to have that sound when you shift gears. The reason for this is when the clutch disk gets in contact with the flywheel of the vehicle, the springs in the clutch disk tends to absorb the rotational difference and thus give out that clank sound after releasing the clutch pedal. If it is affecting the drivability of the vehicle (causing it to stall, difficulty in climbing inclines, difficulty accelerating, etc) then that maybe a cause for concern. Otherwise, I would not worry about it too much. I too own an accent (2015 CRDI Hatch variant) and hear a mild clanking sound when I switch gears. I am not bothered since I hear that sound on most manual cars that I drive.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Sir can you be more specific on the 'clanking' sound that you mentioned? Please describe how exactly it sounds. The way I understand it, manual transmissions do tend to have that sound when you shift gears. The reason for this is when the clutch disk gets in contact with the flywheel of the vehicle, the springs in the clutch disk tends to absorb the rotational difference and thus give out that clank sound after releasing the clutch pedal. If it is affecting the drivability of the vehicle (causing it to stall, difficulty in climbing inclines, difficulty accelerating, etc) then that maybe a cause for concern. Otherwise, I would not worry about it too much. I too own an accent (2015 CRDI Hatch variant) and hear a mild clanking sound when I switch gears. I am not bothered since I hear that sound on most manual cars that I drive.
    The sound it used to produce does not sound too metallic like when you pressed the clutch too short and engaged the gear which gives a "Tug" sound with slight jerking of the vehicle which are common on jeepneys and buses. The sound is like "Tak" when releasing the clutch pedal during the time the clutch pressure plate comes in to press the clutch pad against the flywheel. For me the sound it is producing is too unacceptable and really annoying knowing I'am driving a new car. Like what I mentioned in my post, that sound when shifting is something I have not encountered on my Japanese make cars. Even my neighbors Nissan Urban, doesn't produce such thing even when I was with him on a long drive to Antipolo. The sound it makes does not affect its drivability in general but only too uncomfortable and noticeable considering it's a new car with only 12k on the counter.

It could be the build quality of Korean car or maybe on that particular model of transmission only. I wanna know more comments here regarding that issue.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by palonmar View Post
    The sound it used to produce does not sound too metallic like when you pressed the clutch too short and engaged the gear which gives a "Tug" sound with slight jerking of the vehicle which are common on jeepneys and buses. The sound is like "Tak" when releasing the clutch pedal during the time the clutch pressure plate comes in to press the clutch pad against the flywheel. For me the sound it is producing is too unacceptable and really annoying knowing I'am driving a new car. Like what I mentioned in my post, that sound when shifting is something I have not encountered on my Japanese make cars. Even my neighbors Nissan Urban, doesn't produce such thing even when I was with him on a long drive to Antipolo. The sound it makes does not affect its drivability in general but only too uncomfortable and noticeable considering it's a new car with only 12k on the counter.

It could be the build quality of Korean car or maybe on that particular model of transmission only. I wanna know more comments here regarding that issue.
    It might be the way the transmission is designed used different materials compared to its Japanese counterparts. Now that you mentioned it, I will observe my Accent CRDI and see when the clanking sound occurs.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    It might be the way the transmission is designed used different materials compared to its Japanese counterparts. Now that you mentioned it, I will observe my Accent CRDI and see when the clanking sound occurs.
    Okay, so I observed my car over the weekend. All the 'clanking' that I heard is the normal sound of the clutch disk slamming against the flywheel when I shift a little too aggressively. I did not hear any unusual noise. All the sound I heard seems normal and I heard the same sound from all the manual cars I've driven (yes, mostly japanese brands).

Can you record the sound (safely) and post it here if possible?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Have the same ossue for Kia Picanto 2014
    Nornally when we shift gears to 1st or any we dont hear any sounds. The sound is like "TUG" but we have the same sound with our kia rio 2011

7. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Oh it has been a long time since I made this post about my complains about my 2013 Accent. Until now that sound when changing gears is still present and now the car is close to 30k. The sound it produces remains the same without any increase in intensity or whatsoever but still unacceptable for me. Again, comparing with other manual transmission cars I've driven, mine is way louder and noticeable. I could only speculate that the sound is quite noticeable due to poor sound insulation of the car itself ( typically seen on budget cars). Accent has no thick carpets and has only cheap plastic matting for the flooring and that is also why road noise is also noticeable especially on damaged asphalted roads. I'am planning to have the flooring and the doors deadened to see if that makes any difference.