New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    TOYOTA and Honda have been given the green light by Japan's transport authorities to market fuel-cell cars without limitation.

Honda's FCX and Toyota's FHCV received "type certification" which is a seal of approval by Japan's transport ministry for a certain type of vehicle.

These hybrid cars are equipped with an electric motor and a standard petrol engine which make them more economical and environment-friendly than conventional gasoline engines. The fuel cell produces electricity through a reaction between hydrogen and oxygen, which leaves water as its only by-product.

Aside from being environmentally sound, the fuel-cell battery's main feature is its durability or long life which is up to four or five times that of conventional dry-cell batteries.

Toyota claims that its FCHV cars can run up to 330 kilometers without refueling while Honda says its FCX vehicles can go the distance of 430 kilometers without refueling.

The two Japanese carmakers said they aim to lease the environment-friendly no-emission compact vehicles while stepping up efforts to lower costs for mass production in the future.

Toyota has so far leased 1 FCHV units in Japan and five in the United States while Honda has delivered 19 FCX fuel-cell cars in Japan and the U.S. since December 2002. (Auto REVIEW News Service)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    kelan kaya magkakaroon nyan dito sa pinas

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Fuel cells may be years away for this region. I would want to see Hybrids coming here REAL Soon. This country needs it: Clean Air Act, gas prices shooting to the sky... what have you.

It took long enough for the US to encourage hybrid development. I hope Philippines can take a stand as the ASEAN partner to encourage Hybrid cars here by giving some tax incentive and encouraging cleaner vehicles on the road.

With high gas prices and more diesel vehicles on the road, the level of pollution is likely to get worse. Hybrids are the practical equaliser. And for a large majority of city dwellers, the next generation Hybrid may be powered mostly by Meralco!!!.

Go Hybrid, support hybrid for a better future....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the problem with hybrids at this time is the astronomical cost of producing them. in the US (and I think Japan too), hybrids are said to sell more as status symbols (the latest and snazziest technology) than as benevolent eco-friendly vehicles or fuel-sippers (since the price premium of hybrids totally eliminates any bottom-line $$$ savings in fuel consumption).

so it'll be quite a few years until hybrid technology will be coming here.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Astronomical, not really... high priced? Yes.

If we were to have the Prius here at US prices, you'd be paying 1.5 million pesos at least for a car no bigger than a Corolla. In practical terms, a Honda Jazz or a Hyundai Getz can get you similar or better fuel economy. But the main point of the Prius is that you use less gas for the same room as most cars, and no gas when you're not moving. If they could put that kind of system (kahit yung engine-cut or cylinder deactivation lang!) on all cars for merely a 100,000 peso hike, ok na sana.

The major hurdle for hybrids and fuel cell vehicles is economy of scale. Until they become widespread, people who really need them (us) won't get them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think there are electric drive retrofit systems that can turn your FWD car into a hybrid vehicle. Basically it replaces the rear brakes with regenerative motors coupled with a power controller and a battery pack in the trunk.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    The VW Lupo (Diesel) can beat the fuel economy of the Toyota Prius without resorting to hybrid powertrains, etc...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    I think there are electric drive retrofit systems that can turn your FWD car into a hybrid vehicle. Basically it replaces the rear brakes with regenerative motors coupled with a power controller and a battery pack in the trunk.
    Easier said. Get me those parts (without ridiculous prices) and I shall retrofit my Vios to make a 4wd vehicle that runs mostly on battery. Like the Escape Hybrid (yeah, SUV as hybrid) can runs to 31mph on electric motors alone. Zero emission is certainly the way to go.

I would certainly be interested of the kit cost less than P40K to fit. The idea is to prove the point to the manufacturers who thinks of $$$ and nothing else.
    I think using the gas engine as a "secondary" proplusion system makes great deal of sense.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The Prius is not exactly designed to be the most economical car, but rather a way more eco-friendly vehicle compared to gasoline and diesel-powered ones.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    The Prius is not exactly designed to be the most economical car, but rather a way more eco-friendly vehicle compared to gasoline and diesel-powered ones.
    factor in the HIGHER energy & resources spent/needed on developing/manufacturing those high-tech batteries, drivetrain, etc and it is not as eco-friendly as you think.

Toyota, Honda get nod to market fuel-cell vehicles