New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    agree with headgasket. please have that checked. also, i would get a new radiator instead of overhauling. workmanship may not be up to oem specs. last, have you checked your waterpump?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by milesaldrich View Post
    i went to servitek yesterday and they used a testerlike gadget to test if my radiator fan switch on on the right engine temp and accordng to the mechanic, my fan works fine, so with my cooling system. he told me that the problem is in my aircon. the cause of my overheating is in the aircon he added. what do you think?
    you have two aux fans. one is controlled by the engine thermostat, and the other is controlled by your aircon.
    with the aircon off, only the engine fan can cool your engine. once this fails, engine overheats.
    with the aircon on but engine fan out, the aircon's aux fan alone may be able to cool both your aircon and your engine during shorter trips, especially in cooler weather.. but you will overheat during longer trips and in hot weather.
    if your aircon fan fails but your engine fan is ok, you will overheat during longer trips with aircon on. but with aircon off, you won't overheat
    with both fans out, you overheat easily.
    btw, slow fan rpm is also defined as fan failure, as these fans normally blow strong air .. slow fan rpm is equated with no rpm at all.
    and to make it more confusing, some models have the engine thermostast controlling both engine fan and aircon fan...
    a headgasket leak will probably result in a leak of coolant liquid.
    i seem to remember a similar thread some time ago..in that instance, it was traced to a defective sensor.. i wish i could remember more..

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    thanks for that very nice explanation sir

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    I noticed that may aircon and radiator fan kicks at the same time. is this normal? when my radiator fan kicks on, my aircon fan also kick on. so with if my radiator fan kicks off, my aircon fan also kicks off. I thougth there is something wrong here. Please help

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    for more info my car is civic vti 2002. Please help.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by milesaldrich View Post
    I noticed that may aircon and radiator fan kicks at the same time. is this normal? when my radiator fan kicks on, my aircon fan also kick on. so with if my radiator fan kicks off, my aircon fan also kicks off. I thougth there is something wrong here. Please help
    thats normal. on my 97 accord it's the same.

two things :

1) the thermostat may not be opening at the right temp, try removing it temporarily and observe. and get a high quality if not original thermostat. don't cheap out on parts like these.

2) if the above checks out ok, i think your thermoswitch isn't turning on the fans when it is supposed to. that or mahina na yung fan motors mo.

also replace your rad cap with a high quality if not original one for good measure.

did you also have your AC checked for high pressure?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    sir sleepsus thanks for your reply. i bought an oem thermoswitch and thermstat few weeks ago. I am interested with that AC check for high pressure. How was that? any reputable aircon shop here in paranaque?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    No idea of a reputable shop in paranaque as im not from there. but there are many around.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    change the sending unit..

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    i have the same problem... nag overheat honda civic 1996 ko... naubusan ng tubig ang radiator.. may idea po ba kayo kung how much papalit ng head gasket... paranng may oil kc na nasama sa tubig sa radiator... tnx...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
new overheating scenario