New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sir mga tsikoteers....

just want to know your inputs kung ano ang magandang gamitin na engine oil for a ph16 engine

i have my upcoming sked for an oil change been using castrol 20w40 oils on most of my old cars and im planning to used other brand

help will be highly appreciated tnx for viewing! ! !

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaesi View Post
    sir mga tsikoteers....

just want to know your inputs kung ano ang magandang gamitin na engine oil for a ph16 engine

i have my upcoming sked for an oil change been using castrol 20w40 oils on most of my old cars and im planning to used other brand

help will be highly appreciated tnx for viewing! ! !
    20w-40 pwede kung sa pwede, mura pa. pero i wouldn't recommend it. malapot at masyado mabigat for an engine like the PH16.

i would go with 10w-40. cheapest oils of this kind that i know of are castrol magnatec and petron rallye. both are semi synthetic. under 1K a gallon. these are somewhat better because these babies purportedly offer better fuel economy.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sir salamat sa info, ill try to discuss this with my mechanic for the 10w-40 as well

for any other info

paki post na lang mga bosing looking forward to it!!!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    According to Honda Mechanics for engine model 2001 and above you can use Full Syn engine oil (that's what they say) 20D-40W is a thicker oil.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *K1LLW1LL,

So you can't use fully synthetics on the older models? How come our car is 12 years old already and it's using synthetic... yet running great after 1400 kilometers and still... going.
    iam3739.com

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    AFAIK, all the honda cars use full synthetic oils ever since. my uncle once had the 1st gen civic and it used the full synthetic oil.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    afaik, old cars can still use fully synth oil, if oil seals are still intact and not brittle. which means, the car should have used synth oils from the start. by alternating synths and minerals, would tend to have the oil seals brittle and loose.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    afaik, old cars can still use fully synth oil, if oil seals are still intact and not brittle. which means, the car should have used synth oils from the start. by alternating synths and minerals, would tend to have the oil seals brittle and loose.

Medyo OT, Ok lang ba for an old car (box type lancer SL 1988(?)) to shift from semi synthetic to full synthetic?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The PH/D-series Honda engines should have no problem with fully-synthetic oil. I ran a D15B7 myself for six years (it was a late-90s car) and it never had any problems with the stuff. The D-series engines soldiered on in Honda engine bays for a good 20 years with not much change in the basic structure.

If you do want a multigrade oil, try 15W-40 or 10W-40 for extra protection for your old PH16 engine.

need help....