New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Just wanna know kung ano mga naging common problems of this particular model and ano mga kailangan inspect aside sa usual.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Among the 2nd hand sedans ito yung pinaka sulit IMO. This 7th gen Civic was the unwanted child of Honda kaya ayun baba ng resale value in comparison to its rivals pero a good everyday car. Alam ko nagkaroon ng recall ito dati, I am not sure what the problem was though....

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    recall is about the falling gas tank, verufy mo lang sa first owner kung napaayos nyo during the recall

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i own a 03 vti-s.

fantastic car. good power. accelerates quickly. i like driving it so much i use it everyday kahit coding, hahaha

bigger cabin than a 99 civic. uses the vtec3 (vtec-e) engines except for the Lxi versions which use the old PH15.

smoother automatic, barely detectable shift shock.

one gripe i have is that when the road is uneven, that is to say, yung mga cemento hindi pantay pantay, talagang tumatalbog yung mga gulong, kaya yung mga occupants nagtalbugan din sa loob including me. i don't why, maybe due to design (the vti-s uses a diff front suspension design than that of the 99 civics). in this aspect, mas masarap sakyan yung lumang 99 civic ko. mas maganda yung play ng suspension, baga.

i always run 30-31 psi sa tyres both cars btw. so yung talbog can't be tyres.

also heard that pangit daw yung underchassis components ng vti-s compared to the previous civics... pero i'm not sure if this is true. maybe time will tell kung talagang sirain. sirain din naman yung sa ek civics eh.

yung sabing recall inadvise ako ni boss niky jan... it's the metal bands that hold the fuel tank in place. easily repaired and in all probability, free, sa casa, if hindi pa nagawa yan.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    thanks voltscastillo,
    may nakapag sabi na rin sa akin regarding sa suspension nitong model na to. in case ganun nga, may remedy pa kaya (like replacing shocks with gas type)?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    we have a 2004 Civic Vti also. Yup there was a recall about the metal bands that hold the gas tank. i can say malakas ang engine nya. 1.6 Vtec3. Its easily comparable to 2 litre cars, but its very matipid sa gas. Mga 10 kilometers of city driving everyday and aabot ng more than 1 month ang isang full tank.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo18 View Post
    thanks voltscastillo,
    may nakapag sabi na rin sa akin regarding sa suspension nitong model na to. in case ganun nga, may remedy pa kaya (like replacing shocks with gas type)?
    afaik, most hondas use liquid dampers sa front, gas sa rear. not sure though.

the 2001 (7th gen or ES type civics like the vti-s) to 2005 models have a different suspension setup to improve handling daw. kaya overall, the car feels beefier (at least to me) and heavier, but with almost the same steering input as the older EK civic (96-00). honestly, i just think nagtipid yung honda dito kasi mas maiksi yung nose ng ES kesa sa EK, so there's less room for more complicated and expensive suspension setups like the older models.

having said that, i gotta say that the ride isn't bad. one of the best pa that i've experienced. mas matagtag pa yung altis at lovelife corolla ng ibang kapamilya ko. if you change dampers sa front, and the old ones turn out to be liquid types, bka you'll only complicate matters kasi gas shocks are generally stiffer than liquid.

other than the ride quality, no other problems with the car. tipid, madali iporma, vtec (which is engaged at 2,500RPM, and oddly enough, disengaged at about 4000RPM - baligtad ng mga dating vtec), luwag sa loob, optitron instrument panel... better value IMO kesa sa altis. altis lang mukhang mas malaki kasi matangkad.

hth, and good luck sa pagbili dude.

btw... testdrive mo muna. dapat tahimik makina, at malakas ang hatak at walang kalampag. all my hondas dito ako usually napapagastos sa repair - makina at pang ilalim.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    what do you mean the vtec engages at 2500rpm? I heard that theres 3 stages daw. the first stage engages at about 2000+rpm and the 2nd engages at 3500+rpm, and the 3rd engages at 5000rpm? i dont know but thats what i heard. And what happens anyway when it engages? biglang lumalakas yung hatak?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    what do you mean the vtec engages at 2500rpm? I heard that theres 3 stages daw. the first stage engages at about 2000+rpm and the 2nd engages at 3500+rpm, and the 3rd engages at 5000rpm? i dont know but thats what i heard. And what happens anyway when it engages? biglang lumalakas yung hatak?
    vtec-e just cracks open one of the valves that deliver fuel into the engine. thats why it's called vtec-e (vtec-economy) so that design allows for a very lean burn at low RPM situations, like idle and traffic. so in principle, the vtec e mechanism is already engaged at low RPM.

higher RPM allows all valves to open to allow max fuel and air. at this point, it runs like a normal engine at high RPM. vtec-e disengaged. at least, this is my understanding of how it all works - i could be wrong.

i've no idea if it switches to a more aggressive cam profile like the B16s. if it does, i don't feel/hear it, bro. and i almost never run any of my engines to 5000 RPM - baka masira lang at mabilis na yun at highway. 3500 RPM yata and i'm already running at 125++, and i sure wouldn't run to 150 on a stock car with pathetic econo tyres...

older vtecs make a distinct (but rather faint if you dont pay attention and the car's not set up) woooooo sound at vtec. this is my experience, riding shotgun with a friend who owns another vtec. others say its waaaaaa, and with camgears, it's wooooooo WAAAAH! daw at max throttle. i guess it's a diff sound for everybody.

most vtecs aren't like turbos that sort of lag then boost then suddenly kick... unless it's tuned to do so. vtec is there to allow you to exploit all the horses of the engine at higher speeds, so you still make power all the way to the redline. that's why they're so fast, i guess... lapit na redline pero kaya pa humatak.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    The Civic ES has been neglected by honda enthusiasts because of it's uncomfortable ride. Also, since the body has limited space for upgrades like for example an engine, they made way for aesthetics.

Don't get me wrong it's a good car but I will take an EK over an ES anyday even if it's an older car. At least on an EK, you can make the best out of it. .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I Want The 2001-2003 VTi-S