New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Honda FCX Clarity - Featured in last week's Top Gear. Fueld by the most abundant element in the universe. What are your thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it would only be "practical" if the hydrogen used by the car is produced by non-fossil based sources of power like renewable energy and nuclear.

And then there is the problem of distribution of highly compressed and cooled hydrogen to the refilling stations. It will not be cheap and easy. All new hardware & equiptment would be needed and unless there is strong political will and political backing, it will not gain much ground towards acceptance.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    and hollywood backing? i'm sure george clooney or leonardo di caprio would ride one of these to show their "environmental awareness".

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I've watched it last night and personally, I think it's great.

BMW's Hydrogen 7 ignites Hydrogen directly which makes it consume 60L/100Kms (4.7mpg).

FCX's consumption is 81 miles per gallon since it's an electric car.

Now if only they'd modify the Tesla roadster with fuel cell, it'll be perfect.

I wonder though where we can get pure Hydrogen without the need to separate it from other elements. The cost of isolating it is still quite high.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    there's a thread about Deuterium or heavy water a few months ago here on Tsikot. It is said that the Philippine trench is one of the richest sources of this Hydrogen rich water. I personally don't know the science behind this hydrogen extraction thing, maybe other tsikoteers can help explain it.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    I've watched it last night and personally, I think it's great.

BMW's Hydrogen 7 ignites Hydrogen directly which makes it consume 60L/100Kms (4.7mpg).
    ignites? ... Isn't it using fuel cell technology? Oxygen & hydrogen is simply combined via a catalyst. No fires required.

Now if only they'd modify the Tesla roadster with fuel cell, it'll be perfect.
    it would also make the tesla even more expensive...

I wonder though where we can get pure Hydrogen without the need to separate it from other elements. The cost of isolating it is still quite high.
    free hydrogen doesn't occur in nature. Its always combined with something else, usually with oxygen forming one of the most stable compounds.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i've read up a bit on deuterium, seems its application is limited to nuclear energy.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    i've read up a bit on deuterium, seems its application is limited to nuclear energy.
    Right. It's the fuel for Nuclear Fusion and will yield more energy than Nuclear Fission.

Problem is the container of the process. Russian experiments uses very strong magnetic fields to have the reaction done in space. The resistance of conductors is another problem and inhibits the creation of very high currents to produce the field.

Honda FCX clarity