New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hello Everyone,

I am an owner of a 2008 model CRV (2.0L manual transmission) and in as short as two months (almost everyday use from home to the office and back) experienced judders when accelerating from a full-stop position (in first gear of course). Upon sending it back to the dealer for check-up, they said that they just adjusted the clutch and the problem seems to have been solved.

Then, the judders returned a month later, and since it was nearing the six-month maintenance schedule (PMS), I decided to delay reporting it and just mentioned it during the PMS. They said that the clutch assembly was corroded so they replaced it (under warranty). After that, the problem seems to have been solved.

AGAIN, a month later, the judders returned (still when moving from full stop and at 1st gear). Since the judders were not that bad, I delayed reporting it until the 2nd PMS and by then, they told me that the flywheel had burn marks. They told me that the warranty no longer covers the repairs since these parts were consumable items, they resorted to grinding a layer of the parts since they were still "thick" enough (my apologies but I am not really well versed with the technical details). They told me to monitor the vehicle for a month and then return it to them for further evaluation, which I did. They did replace the pressure plate (under warranty) and I haven't felt the judders since getting the unit back from the dealer (on my third day now).

Has anyone encountered similar issues with the transmission or clutch of a gen 3 MT model?

Thanks in advance for the response!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Very hard to assess transmission issues like this, as many variables (traffic, heat, driving style, etcetera) can cause something like this... but at the second instance, where they had to replace the clutch assembly due to corrosion, they should have replaced the flywheel... as juddering is a sign of flywheel imbalance... or, if not, is a likely cause for flywheel imbalance.

Weird case. Might be an assembly issue... moisture in the transmission bell-housing during assembly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Very hard to assess transmission issues like this, as many variables (traffic, heat, driving style, etcetera) can cause something like this... but at the second instance, where they had to replace the clutch assembly due to corrosion, they should have replaced the flywheel... as juddering is a sign of flywheel imbalance... or, if not, is a likely cause for flywheel imbalance.

Weird case. Might be an assembly issue... moisture in the transmission bell-housing during assembly.
    Yeah, they should have replaced the lfywheel back in October as well. Oh well, so far the problem has not re-surfaced and I am hoping that it won't until the normal replacement cycle.

Lemon unit talaga...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    From the looks of it the flywheel was the main reason for the judders. Just observe your transmission , but since they replaced the pressure plate and grind the burned part of the flywheel see if the juddering occurs again after a few months.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    From the looks of it the flywheel was the main reason for the judders. Just observe your transmission , but since they replaced the pressure plate and grind the burned part of the flywheel see if the juddering occurs again after a few months.
    Yeah, that's the plan. The last time that they replaced the clutch assembly, it took a little less than a month before I started to feel the judders again. Hopefully it was just a matter of quality issues with the batch of parts that were used to replace/assemble the unit.

Honda clutch assembly issue (CR-V and the like)