New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hi sirs, my ride is 2004 crv a/t 80,ooo kms mileage. i notice my fc gone down from 6km/l to around 5.2km/l after have my car changed oil ( from fully synthetic to regular oil), fuel filter, fan belt, a/t fluid, air cleaner replaced and spark plug (iridium) cleaned, . All parts are oem and service by trusted mechanics. Ano kaya naging problema dito? thanks for your reply..

2. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Please try to check the SAE grade of the oil you used. Generally, SAE 50 is thicker or more viscous than SAE 40, and SAE 40 is more viscous than SAE 30 at operating temperature which is about 98 deg centigrade. It would take more power to move the engine parts with an SAE 50 oil than with an SAE 40 or SAE 30, and therefore lower fuel economy. Just my opinion.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    You can also have your ECU reset since you just had your tuneup.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004crv View Post
    hi sirs, my ride is 2004 crv a/t 80,ooo kms mileage. i notice my fc gone down from 6km/l to around 5.2km/l after have my car changed oil ( from fully synthetic to regular oil), fuel filter, fan belt, a/t fluid, air cleaner replaced and spark plug (iridium) cleaned, . All parts are oem and service by trusted mechanics. Ano kaya naging problema dito? thanks for your reply..
    It could be the oil you used before and now have different grades/thickness. A thicker motor oil will have more resistance hence lower FC numbers.

Assuming engine ignition timing has not been adjusted.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    THank you mga experts, really appreciate you thoughts.. ill try to go back to full synthetic oil and lets see what happens.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One more thought... overtightened drive belts. If your mechanic (over) adjusted the tension of the drive belts to the alternator and AC compressor, it could also result in increased FC.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitulo View Post
    Please try to check the SAE grade of the oil you used. Generally, SAE 50 is thicker or more viscous than SAE 40, and SAE 40 is more viscous than SAE 30 at operating temperature which is about 98 deg centigrade. It would take more power to move the engine parts with an SAE 50 oil than with an SAE 40 or SAE 30, and therefore lower fuel economy. Just my opinion.

sir, in the first place, advisable ba yung change oil from fully synthetic to regular oil for honda cars like mine? kasi kung oil lang ang problem, i am going back to full synthetic oil na. thanks in advance.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    1. Yeah, check engine oil viscosity (before and after) and level
    2. Drive belt tightness shouldn't be an issue since Honda's use auto-tensioners (not 100% sure for this model, though)

In most cases, this is likely caused by variances in driving patterns and/or the ECU is still trying to keep up with the abrupt change. There's probably nothing to worry about.

High fuel consumption after tune up