New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch View Post
    Ok , being serious, we have an Mitsubishi eclipse 95 Model GST on a drag setup, we have followed several stages and we acquired our tuning parts on import basis. We have the sequential shifter as I have said but of course it came with a price. Having a nice airflow system is a plus on your torque.
    Sequential shifter or full box? A sequential shifter is fine on a race car, but for a daily driver, it's a bit too OTT... a full box of dog gears is just too uncivil for everyday use. Besides, nobody makes a sequential conversion for an 08 Civic. Or ceramic brake discs. I'm still trying to figure out which aftermarket company actually makes those for non-exotic cars... those cost more than a brand-new Civic.

Not trying to take digs at you, but some of you guys posting in here ought to really read the newbie's question before replying (that goes for speed_unlimited, too... the 08 doesn't have a distributor, p're, whether it's K20 or R18 ).

He's driving a non-turbo Civic and asking for serious advice... and he's a newbie. Give him advice on what he can do that won't cost an arm, a leg, and a racing team budget.

BTW niky the ever sized I type is called a typo, you just made me the biggest looser in here, just like you made me an idiot that I don't know what I am talking about. But still it's ok with me because I have the experience driving rice cars and I bet you don't.

Peace bro.
    I'm sorry... I actually have lots of experience driving rice cars. I also have experience driving nice ones, too... I may not live my life ten seconds at a time, but I do know how to have fun... and most of that fun involves shredding tires going in directions other than straight forward.
    Last edited by niky; September 9th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I honestly thought he meant forever sized pistons as a joke. :D

I also have an R18 and from what I gather, it can be made better, performance-wise. However, as brought out by niky, the gains aren't that high compared to mod-friendly engines. It's built more for economy than it is for performance (ie. the i-VTEC works differently). There are aftermarket parts like intake, cat-delete/exhaust upgrades, piggy-back or chip, etc. But the farther you go, the bang for the back ratio diminishes drastically.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... since Honda makes an R20, there is a way to increase displacement... stroke the engine out with an R20 crank, pistons and con-rods. I'm not sure if it's a full open-sleeve design... but it's likely, and it's a compact block, so over-boring might not work.

Changing out for R20 internals should give another 10 hp and 10 ft-lbs of torque. But it's a very expensive way to do it... R20 parts are still rare on these shores.

-

That said... the performance of the stock R18 is exceptional for the size of the engine... good acceleration, good power output on the dyno, good engine response thanks to the e-throttle (though the over-run when you let off is a bit irritating)... simple mods should make it more than enough fun for anyone, unless they're used to driving turbocharged cars.

-

Of course, the OP didn't say if his Civic was R18 or K20... if it's the K20, there's a whole crapload of stuff you can do to make it incredibly quick...
    Last edited by niky; September 9th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That said... the performance of the stock R18 is exceptional for the size of the engine... good acceleration, good power output on the dyno, good engine response thanks to the e-throttle (though the over-run when you let off is a bit irritating)...
    Yes, it is quite annoying, the sudden slight jerk when you let go of the throttle!

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    simple mods should make it more than enough fun for anyone, unless they're used to driving turbocharged cars.
    GUILTY!!!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Heys guys! thanks for all the comments. My car has an R18 engine..and i modified it with an C.A.I. now im planing to change my Exhaust system..any advices?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scratch View Post
    Bro, I think you need to select some stages before tuning your car.

Stage 1. Replace your intake and exhaust system
    Stage 2. Get a blow off valve and induction kit
    Stage 3. Need your electrical and computer system replace like ECU chip for fuel distribution
    Stage 4. Replace your Gears and drive train to a racing kit like sequential shifter and bigger gear ratio.
    Stage 5. Change your breaks to a ceramic disk for better breaking system.
    Stage 6. Bore up kits and engine works for ever sized pistons.
    Stage 7. NOS!
    walang turbo yung civic ng threadstarter, aanuhin niya ang BOV? DUH

and the BOV has nothing to do with added power. it's function is to protect the turbo from damage caused by compressed air backing up when the throttle closes

sequential gearbox? like a 6 speed Xtrac? ok ka lang dude? the guy's not building a race car

it's brakes dude. upgrade brake pads first, if not enough stopping power, then change the rotors and calipers

machine the engine to increase displacement? later dude. Much later. he could have sold the car before getting to that

NOS? watched Fast and Furious too many times huh? it's not stage 7 dude.
    you can go nitrous even at stage 1 if you like.

BTW, who cares to count beyond stage 3?
    Last edited by uls; September 24th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm at Stage III, myself.

That one's Bargaining.

"Come on... one more mod won't hurt... surely?" :hysterical:

-

Beyond the intake, there's not much easy power to make out of the engine. I suggest you save up for a Unichip and leave it at that. A Unichip-CAI combo should make around 15 hp more than stock, which should be more than enough for anyone.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    niky:
    I'm at Stage III, myself.
    hehe

i didnt see that coming

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    SRI + hotpipes from Speedlab + Unichip = 15whp!

Last edited by ssaloon; September 24th, 2009 at 07:11 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    You dug up quite a lot of threads for this pic ah.

I just forgot - MT or AT? haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Help...I want to tune my engine...Civic 08