New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi Guys, well, after about 2 years I finally came up with the hard earned cash to buy my first car and after much searching and haggling I finally found the car that catches my fancy, its a 1999-2000 Honda Accord VTEC VTI automatic, I just have a few questions since Im not yet that familiar with this type of car nor the feedback both good or bad if any so let me just give you a quick rundown of the cars current state and the asking price of the seller

1999 Honda Accord VTI VTEC - Bronze color

-Near mint condition upholstery and interior, not leather
    -automatic tranny with motorized seats
    -Engine looks almost new, since it was seldom used and owner is very keen on maintenance
    -120k mileage
    -small paint scratches on the front bumper and the back
    -suspension in good condition does not squeak and underside looks good
    - brand new battery
    -No alarm but has a central locking remote however 2 of the 4 locks dont seem to operate

Asking price P250,000 but was able to haggle it down to just P230

so my question is, is it a fair enough price and also one of my most important questions are,

-how good are they for long drives
    -are they gas guzzlers
    -any common problems the 99 accord is known for (IF ANY?)
    -etc?

wanna make sure cos my money is hard earned and want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I would avoid getting an AT, much more a luxury sedan that's more than a decade old.

Do you personally know the seller? It may look good but you're not aware of the car's history. Plus things break down after a decade, even if the car is well maintained.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    230k is a bit high for a 1999 Accord but if you're sure that the odometer hasn't been tampered, the car is in tip-top shape and the owner is the first owner and isn't a liar, I guess it's okay.

It's great for highway driving since the engine is actually very peppy. 4 gears aren't enough for the car, but it'll do since the transmission is responsive (relative to other 4ATs in its time).

Yes, they are gas guzzlers. Expect 6-7 km/L in city driving and about 9-10 km/L in highway driving. To be fair, other 1.6 AT compacts from this era don't really do much better.

There aren't any major issues with this model, since it's the last of the mechanical Accords - usual maintenance should be just about the same as a Civic.

I'm eyeing this car as well, and I choose it over similarly priced compacts because of the ff:

1. More space - legroom is at par with the current crop of compacts
    2. Timeless looks - a 6th gen Accord still looks more respectable to me than a brand new City
    3. Power - 2.0 150 hp, enough to put a smile when on the highway or mountain roads

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I would avoid getting an AT, much more a luxury sedan that's more than a decade old.

Do you personally know the seller? It may look good but you're not aware of the car's history. Plus things break down after a decade, even if the car is well maintained.
    +1

Do you know the seller personally? don't be fooled by the looks nung bibilhin mo you might end up buying a time bomb.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for all the reply guys, honestly when I saw the accord personally I fell in love with it, Im a pretty big guy, so sitting inside the accord was extremely cozy, and had a certain ambiance that just made me feel comfortable, but of course Im still open to any feedbacks from this car, Im in the visayan region by the way so will the price of a car depend on the location? in other words will a 2nd hand car be cheaper in manila as compared to lets say cebu or bacolod? also to add, the car is 2nd owned, 1st owner was an old woman who rarely used it and decided to just sell it to the current seller(who I really dont know that well) just looks like a decent everyday 50+ year old, who seldom used it as well, it was only for his long highway drives, so anyway the only problems it has is its minor issue with its central locking and some light paint scratches at the bumper, no accident history, you think 230k is too much? or is it a little resonable? should I haggle some more to get it to be lowered? theres only 1 other car Im comparing it to, and that is a 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Galant(Shark) VR4 automatic, do you think this car can match the Accord in terms of quality and ride? because it 40k cheaper, once again thanks for the help guys, I know I ask alot of questions, but its only because money that I saved for this purchase will not be coming again any time soon, or in the near future, so If its a bad buy, im screwed

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    its a gas guzzler alright..... although the price i think is reasonable..... depends talaga sa condition ng transmission yan and makina.
    do you really need a 2.0 car?
    and how big are you? i've seen guys who are standing at 6'2" who can fit a civic, a lancer or a corolla.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossmonkee View Post
    Thanks for all the reply guys, honestly when I saw the accord personally I fell in love with it, Im a pretty big guy, so sitting inside the accord was extremely cozy, and had a certain ambiance that just made me feel comfortable, but of course Im still open to any feedbacks from this car, Im in the visayan region by the way so will the price of a car depend on the location? in other words will a 2nd hand car be cheaper in manila as compared to lets say cebu or bacolod? also to add, the car is 2nd owned, 1st owner was an old woman who rarely used it and decided to just sell it to the current seller(who I really dont know that well) just looks like a decent everyday 50+ year old, who seldom used it as well, it was only for his long highway drives, so anyway the only problems it has is its minor issue with its central locking and some light paint scratches at the bumper, no accident history, you think 230k is too much? or is it a little resonable? should I haggle some more to get it to be lowered? theres only 1 other car Im comparing it to, and that is a 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Galant(Shark) VR4 automatic, do you think this car can match the Accord in terms of quality and ride? because it 40k cheaper, once again thanks for the help guys, I know I ask alot of questions, but its only because money that I saved for this purchase will not be coming again any time soon, or in the near future, so If its a bad buy, im screwed
    Is the car in VISAYAS? im surprise it only have 120K vs the age of the car.

Before you pay, I suggest you bring the car in the CASA for PMS visual checkup only (no oil change, filter change etc.) or to your trusted mechanic, you should only be charged for labor only.

Then you can ask the mechanic to give you an idea on the parts soon for replacement.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I would suggest you check sulit.com.ph for the current going rate of honda accord 99 model., with the high prices of gas, I'd always go for the more fuel efficient cars.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I don't know about buying a 15-year old car.

Is using your savings for downpayment and having a monthly amort out of the question? Subcompacts nowadays are pretty roomy compared to, say 10 years ago. I'm sure you'll fit.

If you wanna go through this '99 Accord, better have it fully inspected by a trusty mechanic so you'll know your options.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossmonkee View Post
    Hi Guys, well, after about 2 years I finally came up with the hard earned cash to buy my first car and after much searching and haggling I finally found the car that catches my fancy, its a 1999-2000 Honda Accord VTEC VTI automatic, I just have a few questions since Im not yet that familiar with this type of car nor the feedback both good or bad if any so let me just give you a quick rundown of the cars current state and the asking price of the seller

1999 Honda Accord VTI VTEC - Bronze color

-Near mint condition upholstery and interior, not leather
    -automatic tranny with motorized seats
    -Engine looks almost new, since it was seldom used and owner is very keen on maintenance
    -120k mileage
    -small paint scratches on the front bumper and the back
    -suspension in good condition does not squeak and underside looks good
    - brand new battery
    -No alarm but has a central locking remote however 2 of the 4 locks dont seem to operate

Asking price P250,000 but was able to haggle it down to just P230

so my question is, is it a fair enough price and also one of my most important questions are,

-how good are they for long drives
    -are they gas guzzlers
    -any common problems the 99 accord is known for (IF ANY?)
    -etc?

wanna make sure cos my money is hard earned and want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck

how good are they for long drives - They are actually good to ride and easy to handle.
    are they gas guzzlers - Yes with a 2.2 liter engine, it's a bit thirsty on fuel.
    any common problems the 99 accord is known for (IF ANY?) - the usual wear, suspension, airconditioning etc.

Asking price P250,000 but was able to haggle it down to just P230 - You might want to hanggle more a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast