New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hello mga sirs,
    I'm having problems with my 2000 honda civic vti manual lately. It overheated last september so i had the cylinder head gasket replaced. Then after 2 months it overheated again, so the cylinder head gasket was replaced again and the head cylinder was resurfaced by a machine shop.
    i noticed however that i needed to add water to the radiator every morning, so i had the radiator overhauled and the hoses checked. Still the same problem and then i noticed whitish/brownish color in the oil dipstick.
    The mechanic then tightened the cylinder head bolts from 65 t0 75 torque and changed the oil and filter. I still see traces of whitish color in the dipstick but not as much as before.
    Although the temp remains at half or normal, i still need to add water everyday (about the amount of a small bottle of mineral water).
    What can be the real problem? I need all the professional advice you can give. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by edge868 View Post
    Hello mga sirs,
    I'm having problems with my 2000 honda civic vti manual lately. It overheated last september so i had the cylinder head gasket replaced. Then after 2 months it overheated again, so the cylinder head gasket was replaced again and the head cylinder was resurfaced by a machine shop.
    i noticed however that i needed to add water to the radiator every morning, so i had the radiator overhauled and the hoses checked. Still the same problem and then i noticed whitish/brownish color in the oil dipstick.
    The mechanic then tightened the cylinder head bolts from 65 t0 75 torque and changed the oil and filter. I still see traces of whitish color in the dipstick but not as much as before.
    Although the temp remains at half or normal, i still need to add water everyday (about the amount of a small bottle of mineral water).
    What can be the real problem? I need all the professional advice you can give. Thanks.
    We got the same ride, mine is a/t, what was the cause of the overheat?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    check the water pump for leaks...it is located near the alternator,,if u see drops of water coming from that location, that's it.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...=60867&page=24

we have the same problem, but the car is a 2000 sentra ex saloon (exalta body) MT

try doing the steps that I did (as advised by some of the tsikoteers here). though those did not work for me, but might for you. goodluck. i hope we/someone can solve our car problem soon.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    We got the same ride, mine is a/t, what was the cause of the overheat?
    The first overheat was caused by radiator fan breakdown. Just the cylinder head gasket was replaced.
    The second was caused by a sudden bursting of a small hose resulting in significant water loss. After replacing the hose, several weeks passed before the temp started rising even after a short drive. Then again the cylinder head gasket was replaced and the head shaved by a machine shop.
    BTW, i noticed that my thread was posted twice. How do i delete the one with no replies? Sorry for my mistake.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    there's still a leak in your cylinder head, and its coming from the gasket.

what you should have done was to buy a surplus head... madami naman nito kung san san. and then buy an orig headgasket. to install, you need to torque the bolts to spec IN SEQUENCE!

ang nangyari ngayon, hinigpitan lang yung shaved head mo. that would naturally squeeze shut any leaks and reduce the water coming into the oil... BUT, the next time you remove the head, check your piston crowns... i'm about 50% sure na sumasalpok na yung valves sa piston nyan kasi honda engines have tight tolerances from the factory. if you shave the head and torque too tight, the clearance between piston and valve is also reduced.

you can probably live with what you have now, pero water in oil longterm is a disaster waiting to happen. how can you take that long distances now? besides, your main bearings inside the engine wont like water in the oil.

simplest fix would be to just get a surplus engine... i hear nasa 25K na lang daw VTi engines ngayon.

next would be to replace the head. bihira i-shave ang head ng honda... actually ang alam ko lang na shinashave yung mga FX at 5K na makina at mga diesel engine. tapos have a real Honda Mechanic install it along with a new gasket, they will know the torque pattern sequence and tightness.

anyhow you do it, replace the following afterwards:

1. timing belt and waterpump
    2. engine thermostat
    3. engine thermoswitch (controls the radiator fan)
    4. get a new or surplus radiator and a new rad cap
    5. replace the hoses to the radiator, you will need 2

after those di na siguro mag overheat yan.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ^^^I thinks Sir Voltcastillo has answered all your questions, my hunch also was that the cylinder head was not properly done. Have your car checked again. Good luck and Happy New Year.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    we had the same problem with our 96 vti.pag nag over heat yata ang honda mahirap na maibalik sa dati.ang dami ginawa ng mekaniko namin hindi rin napatino until we decided to replace with D15B engine.ngayon 2 years na wala na naging problema. sa masinag, antipolo namin nabili yung surplus engine.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I agree with them.Replace mo na engine or yung engine head at gasket. Maraming surplus engine around Banawe so ingat lang sa pagbili. Yung oil may whitish na color kasi nga may leak (coolant or radiator water pumapasok sa engine). Bad things will now happen.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    what's truly disappointing here is the lack of competent mechanics in our country. it's a head gasket replacement, not rocket science. Meron pang isang recommended ng friend ko na mekaniko akong pinag tanungan, ang sabi sakin, pag na buksan na daw yung head hindi na daw magigigng tulad ng dati ... WTF! to me that just means hindi nya alam kung paano i balik ng tama.

I have a discovered a small leak in my accord's cylinder head too that leaks exhaust gases into the water jacket, but until now i can't find a competent shop who knows what they are doing ... it's take that risk and spend around 10~15k or go to Honda and spend 40~45k for a top overhaul .... hay buhay

engine problems