New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Hmm.. technically, I CAN afford one. Maybe the question is it is advisable to pay half of my monthly salary on car amortization? How about you guys? How much were you making when you first bought a brand new car?
    Quick math says you can based on data you provided.

Will it be advisable to spend half of your salary in car? It depends on your need (or is it want If having a car adds to your cash flow but if not then it is going to be a debt for you and you are losing money by financing a property that goes down in value.

Personally I would not spend 50% of income, I feel this is a lot more comfortable at 25% or less.

I definitely agree with Qwerty on the save strategy. Delay the purchase, put your 20k a month in a savings and let it grow,in 3 and a half years time you have enough to buy a brand new car. By that time, there will be a brand new Civic model for you. If you purchase this model now, you will still be paying for it when the 2006 model body. A lot of changes can still happen between now and your purchase but when that time comes, walk proudly to your car dealer and haggle because you are paying hard cash

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    If you can afford the 50%dp and you really want an FD, then why not get a 06/07/08 civic instead? They are still practically new and a way lot cheaper. Go to Team FD site and shop around..there are FDs for sale there which are really good!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hmm.. technically, I CAN afford one. Maybe the question is it is advisable to pay half of my monthly salary on car amortization? How about you guys? How much were you making when you first bought a brand new car?
    i think i've read somewhere in the other thread that you're monthly car amort should not exceed 20% of your monthly income... pero iba na when it comes to the bank, if you declare na you are earning at least 30K a month, they will approve your loan in a flash...hehe. (i might be mistaken though...)

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Thanks guys, this is really of big help. Yes I think I can delay the purchase a bit more and save up. I need the car basically for the daily commute to work, and to sort of get off my mom's back since I've been borrowing her car everytime I need one. Nakakahiya na din. Another option for me is to get a jazz (this one eats up a relatively smaller chunk of my salary) and pay for about 3-4 years. By the time I finish paying for it I can sell it and get a new one as well. Who knows I might be eligible for a company car by then?

But yeah I think I'd hold off getting one for another year or so.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    tol pwede yan kaso dapat may extra ka for the PMS, Insurance (yearly ito) saka sa GAS siempre...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by actor21 View Post
    tol pwede yan kaso dapat may extra ka for the PMS, Insurance (yearly ito) saka sa GAS siempre...
    Yes natake into account ko na din ang gas, ang wala akong idea yung insurance na yearly. Alam ko lang yung first payment sa casa pagka bili. PMS around 3-5k, if im not mistaken.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys, this is really of big help. Yes I think I can delay the purchase a bit more and save up. I need the car basically for the daily commute to work, and to sort of get off my mom's back since I've been borrowing her car everytime I need one. Nakakahiya na din. Another option for me is to get a jazz (this one eats up a relatively smaller chunk of my salary) and pay for about 3-4 years. By the time I finish paying for it I can sell it and get a new one as well. Who knows I might be eligible for a company car by then?

But yeah I think I'd hold off getting one for another year or so.

Good thinking if you will save first before buying a new car! Magastos ang may kotse (lalo pa at FD!) dami kasi nag-gagandahan mods out there!
    Better save now and buy the car that you really want.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Yes natake into account ko na din ang gas, ang wala akong idea yung insurance na yearly. Alam ko lang yung first payment sa casa pagka bili. PMS around 3-5k, if im not mistaken.
    If you're getting an FD....3-5k budget for PMS is not enough It can go as high as 10-12K depending on the mileage of your PMS. HTH

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    if i were u i wouldn't go with it... though i understand the urge to get your own ride esp. when ur a single guy.

simply put its not practical. its either either u buy a lower cost brand new model or buy something na 2nd. hand you can afford.

for me i wouldn't handover my hard earned cash to the banks in the form of interest payments. its not my style.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    A guy, single, earning about 30k/month, nothing to pay just a monthly DSL line, no obligations.....you're one such lucky guy in that situation.
    You can afford the monthly payments, but if you have the downpayment, go for it.
    But once obligations starts, other payments.....marriage...family matters.....go second hand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Can I afford a brand new FD Civic? [MERGED]