New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    *mbenz204 Haha thanks man. Yes I have downpayment money actually, yun nga the only question is kung advisable ba that I spend that amount on a car. I'm guessing I'll get the Jazz (love the spacious interior as well as its design, FC and price) for the meantime. Judging by its resale value, it's gonna be enough for a huge DP for my next car if ever. I just fell in love with the FD's interior that's why it topped my list, followed by the jazz.

*GeckoGuy Wow, didn't know PMS for the FD was THAT expensive. ) Malaking gastos pala talaga. O well, I'll still be saving for another year anyway so baka magmura na ang presyo nung dalawang car next year. :D

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    *cokyi: Yup! ipon mode na lang muna tutal eh meron ka na pala pang d/p Then kapag medyo malaki na ipon...buy the car that you really like!
    Magastos talaga ang FD - dami kasi mods...pero sulit naman lahat yun kapag nakikita mo FD mo na maganda and while you're driving it
    As for the Jazz...ganda nga din yun but I'm not a fan of small cars. Tama si parakitoJDM..buy something that you can afford and won't make a big dent on your salary. A secondhand FD is not a bad choice(BBG- buyo-buyo gang! hehehe)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I bought my first bnew car when the car monthly amortization was 1/4 of my net salary. Prior to that I stuck with 2nd hand cars.

Hirap din kasi mey tsikot pero wala naman pang gas and pang gastos. You need to consider how much gas you'll use up for a month. In my case a full tank doesn't last more than a week. GF ko kasi nasa Las Pinas and I live in QC.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Hmm.. technically, I CAN afford one. Maybe the question is it is advisable to pay half of my monthly salary on car amortization? How about you guys? How much were you making when you first bought a brand new car?
    I understand the allure of the Honda brand, and would certainly like one myself. My gross annual income is approximately the price of a Civic (no, not the top of the line one) but I have a kid in high school, a couple of credit cards, insurance, a few utility bills, some salary loan deductions, and the urge to buy a new part for my PC every now and then. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view ), I'm also single (long story), so there's no spouse bringing additional income in.

I ended up buying a Hyundai, with approximately 20-25% of my monthly income ending up as car payments. I went cheap, because you also have to pay for gas and insurance, and unlike my old car, at least I can save on maintenance costs.

If you can wait for a little while so you can afford the car of your dreams, then do so. And try not to buy more than you can afford, it's very stressful living in debt. Since my office is near a bank, I always look with mild amusement at the repossessed luxury SUVs parked nearby or being towed by a trailer. Apparently someone wasn't thinking straight when he or she took out a loan for an expensive SUV.

In my case, I had no choice, since my main ride is badly in need of an overhaul, I needed a car to drive the kid to school and get to work, and the second hand marked is a bit risky nowadays because of the number of flooded and sickly pre-owned cars.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's something you like and enjoy. It need not be the top of the line model or even a top brand, as long as you're happy with it. And you should be happy with it, since it may take you years to pay it off.

Whatever you decide good luck.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hi sir, my suggestion is that don't let your finances "bleed" . Better save up for the rainy days Yes, you're a single guy with just paying your DSL but life is unpredictable. If you can settle for a Jazz, I suggest you go for it..so that when you have your annual appraisal, it'll increase your financial headroom.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Guy View Post
    If you're getting an FD....3-5k budget for PMS is not enough It can go as high as 10-12K depending on the mileage of your PMS. HTH
    On the 20k pms of my tito's oftenly used fd ( which I use too. ) He spent around 8k for his PMS.

Advice for the TS ?

Get a cheaper car if you still wanted to buy a brand new.

Let's say a nissan sentra GX.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Of course kaya mo bilihin. basta make sure habang hinuhulugan mo yung FD, walang eextra sa expenses mo.

bigyan kita ng idea, yung sa akin 08 1.8S, total price 892,000 down payment ko 40% plus mga extra (insurance, mortgage) free rustproof na. mga 405k yung total cash out. tapos approx 12k a month for 5 years to pay

and about sa PMS, medyo mahal talaga mag maintain ng Honda. sabi nga eh "madami ka pera (pang maintain) pag may Honda ka " ako nag 10,000 km PMS / 6 months, simple change oil plus remove seat covers cost me around P4,300.

isa sa mga pinaka madugong PMS ay 2 years / 40,000 km. mga 10-15k ang gagastosin mo

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DonCamote View Post
    Quick math says you can based on data you provided.

Will it be advisable to spend half of your salary in car? It depends on your need (or is it want If having a car adds to your cash flow but if not then it is going to be a debt for you and you are losing money by financing a property that goes down in value.

Personally I would not spend 50% of income, I feel this is a lot more comfortable at 25% or less.

I definitely agree with Qwerty on the save strategy. Delay the purchase, put your 20k a month in a savings and let it grow,in 3 and a half years time you have enough to buy a brand new car. By that time, there will be a brand new Civic model for you. If you purchase this model now, you will still be paying for it when the 2006 model body. A lot of changes can still happen between now and your purchase but when that time comes, walk proudly to your car dealer and haggle because you are paying hard cash
    Agree but the problem is if you wait for that long you will also pay for the expense of newer model meaning, mas mahal na siya. Like for example mas mahal ang brand new 2010 model na civic sa brand new 2006 model, so meaning halos pareho lang din.

Its like magpapatayo ka ng bahay mo. Mas mahal na ang materyales na gagamitin mo sa mga susunod na taon kaysa ngayong taon.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi Cokyi, I agree with everyone. You either buy a 2nd hand car ng CASH or save up more to be able to buy a bnew car with 50% DP.

I too am contemplating on the same thing. My average nett take home pay is 35k / month. Just looking at it, I can easily afford to even pay 20k a month right? But I do have to take into consideration parking: 100-150/day, gas: 500-700 a week (including weekend lakwatsa) food, starbucks, savings etc. So... it may look on paper that I can afford it pero hinde paden talaga. Let's save, save, and save some more!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cokyi View Post
    Yes natake into account ko na din ang gas, ang wala akong idea yung insurance na yearly. Alam ko lang yung first payment sa casa pagka bili. PMS around 3-5k, if im not mistaken.
    Having a car/vehicle is like having a child in college. So always have your money ready daily specially if you dont know anything in vehicle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Can I afford a brand new FD Civic? [MERGED]