New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ^^^ I take that with the pickup * 120 kph

*Ryant: the SiR is a low-slung vehicle, little risk for a rollover. kung iisipin, gentle pa yung mga kurbada na yan. hehe. gusto mo ng curvy mountain roads? try tagaytay, or better yet pumunta ka sa mountain province. yun talaga pag tumapon ka, it's over!

thing is, in able to properly corner, you're really going to eat more than one lane, and that is simply a no-no in our public roads.

baka magaya ka kay richard guiterrez

or you might want to give yourself a gift and try a short course in Tuason Racing School.

then punta ka sa BRC or sa Subic Raceway

If you just want to do an italian tune up, SCTEX! ingat lang sa hi-way patrol though. that or pumunta ka ng SLEX pag laban ni pacman

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
    Kakachange oil ko nga lang sa shell, me nakatabi ako ng lovelife, i looked at his engine versus mine. halos kalahati lang ng sa kin, tapos ito ung tumatalo sa kin sa highway. Siguro di pa lang ako sanay na driver. Ung mga 4x4s payag pa akong maunahan ako pero mga maliit cars, nakakahiya SIR emblem ko sa likod kung slower ako sa kanila
    tangalin mo yung SiR emblem sa likod tapos palitan mo ng LXi ganyan ginawa ng tropa ko kaya yung nakakakita namamanga pag humaharorot ng takbo.he,he,he

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Nakakatuwa naman, I never thought that i have that powerful car. I'd like to give it a try. I never dont dare to rev so much bec i fear i might break it.
    Honda has been making VTEC for 20 years now - they started with the Japan-only DA-chassis Integra XSi in 1989. So yes they know what they're doing. Incidentally, that very first VTEC engine is almost the same unit you have in your EK Civic SiR: the (in)famous B16A.

Regarding taking corners properly - Scharnhorst said it all really. I suggest you enroll in a trackday in Subic, Clark or BRC (take your pick) and learn it in the proper venue. No oncoming traffic, no pedestrians, no problem. It's fun too.

The important thing as my instructor JP Castellano says is "you have to show the car who's boss." You should never be a slave to the machine - the machine should follow you. In order to properly do that, you have to understand how it works and behaves especially in extremis. Eventually your confidence and car control skills will increase.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    To be honest hindi lang sa sarili ko ang may nakakahiyang feeling driving so slow lately. Mas nahihiya ako sa ibang SiRs na one of their SiR Buddy (my car) ay dinadaanan-daanan lang ng corollas and couldn't keep up.

Malaki ba speed gain ng makina if magpalit from unleaded to xcs or to blaze? I'm a regular petron customer.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    To be honest hindi lang sa sarili ko ang may nakakahiyang feeling driving so slow lately. Mas nahihiya ako sa ibang SiRs na one of their SiR Buddy (my car) ay dinadaanan-daanan lang ng corollas and couldn't keep up.

Malaki ba speed gain ng makina if magpalit from unleaded to xcs or to blaze? I'm a regular petron customer.
    You have the owner's manual for the car right? If so just follow the recommended octane rating for the car's fuel.

If a car's engine can run perfectly well at 91 octane, there's no point in making it drink anything with higher octane. It won't behave any differently but you'll be a little poorer due to the higher cost of fuel.

In contrast, high-compression and turbocharged engines usually need high-octane gasoline such as Blaze (96 octane) to run at their best. They can run lower octane, but what happens is the engine's anti-knock sensor adjusts the valve timing to accommodate the lower-octane fuel. It will run on low-octane fuel but it will not perform at maximum power.

When in doubt just read the owner's manual.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I would really slow down even hit the breaks even on a low angle curve beacause i'm not sure if i can handle/control curves when driving fast.
    Try lowering the vehicle using sports springs and gas shocks and adding strut braces (front tower, rear tower and tie bar) to the suspension. If done properly, you will feel a noticeable steering/cornering response and much less body roll, thus enabling you to smooth out cornerning. Feel the G's daw...

Did that in my EG Civic and it worked big time. Since we have the same suspension layout (double wishbone), it should work in your case as well.
    I can corner on moderate sharps (think SLEX toll exits, but never tried downhill pa) running past 110kph and the car would do a controllable understeer on dry asphalt tarmac which you would enjoy on open roads please.

Cornering, along with braking, are things you would want to master in your SiR. It's a responsive car, so lots of practice could get you used to it.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Thanks Sir for all the advice, unfortunately di ko pa po mainitndihan all of the upgrades parts words. Ang alam ko lang na upgrades are body upgrade, sa NFS lang ako nakarinig pero puro upgrade packages.. hehehe.

Mamaya dadaan ako ng coastal road i'll floor it pero mukhang up to 100 lang kaya ng puso ko. Bahala na si batman

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    If you're uncomfortable at driving at speed, wag mo muna pilitin. Give it time.

kung may corolla na lumalampas sayo, mag downshift ka tapos i rev mo hanggang 6000 rpm!

Thanks Sir for all the advice, unfortunately di ko pa po mainitndihan all of the upgrades parts words. Ang alam ko lang na upgrades are body upgrade, sa NFS lang ako nakarinig pero puro upgrade packages.. hehehe.

Mamaya dadaan ako ng coastal road i'll floor it pero mukhang up to 100 lang kaya ng puso ko. Bahala na si batman
    Sir, body kits, bling mags, and the cosmetic "upgrades, especially the tasteless ones, won't make your car any faster. magiging rice rocket lang auto nyo, pinagtatawanan ng mga kasabay mo sa kalye. hehe.

neither will the millions of stickers and vinyls you may want to put add any horsepower.

to put it simply, the most basic engine upgrades you can put are intake/header/exhaust packages. this allows the car to gulp in more air, and more air equals more fuel can be mixed with it, and thus more power. the exhaust ensures that hindi "masasakal" yung paglabas ng gases.

there are alot of other stuff too, like changing the ECU, or plopping in a turbocharger, or putting avgas, but there are better people who can answer that.

with more power, comes more speed, and the need for better stopping power, so you'll have to uprate your brakes.

but for going around the corners,you're going to have to upgrade your suspension as well. The stock SiR, AFAIK, already has a stiffer suspension than its non-sports oriented siblings.

The sports springs and gas shocks that isa0123 mentioned makes the car even stiffer, para wala masyadong body roll (yun nga lang magiging matagtag ang sasakyan mo), lessening the risk of a roll over, and keeps the tires on the ground.

for grip, that's up to the tires, and functional spoilers.

BTW, don't go dreaming of drifting in your car though, it's FWD.

Try playing Gran Turismo for a change

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Try lowering the vehicle using sports springs and gas shocks and adding strut braces (front tower, rear tower and tie bar) to the suspension. If done properly, you will feel a noticeable steering/cornering response and much less body roll, thus enabling you to smooth out cornerning. Feel the G's daw...

Did that in my EG Civic and it worked big time. Since we have the same suspension layout (double wishbone), it should work in your case as well.
    I can corner on moderate sharps (think SLEX toll exits, but never tried downhill pa) running past 110kph and the car would do a controllable understeer on dry asphalt tarmac which you would enjoy on open roads please.

Cornering, along with braking, are things you would want to master in your SiR. It's a responsive car, so lots of practice could get you used to it.
    I would say otherwise. It's better to learn the limits of a stock car first before upgrading anything - engine, suspension or whatever else that's mechanical (save for the seats, wheels and tires perhaps).

Once you've extracted the maximum out of the stock equipment, that's the only time you should upgrade because that's the only way you'll fully understand if the upgrades actually worked. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

And like I've said earlier...the place to learn the limits of any car is not on the public road but in the controlled conditions of a racetrack. In daily driving, most people never reach the limit because it's just too dangerous to do so - there are pedestrians, obstacles, pink fences, other cars...even practicing something as fundamental as threshold braking (full-force braking just before lockup) on the street can get you rear-ended.

Like my instructor says...
    The best modification any driver can invest in is better driving technique. It doesn't get damaged or worn with use, it gets better the more you use it, and it stays with you regardless of what car you drive or buy. Remember, drivers have to show the car who's boss ;)
    Last edited by Type 100; December 29th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^ tama, I agree. you need to upgrade your skills first before upgrading your car. sabi nga ng team NCR (autocross team) yung isang kotse nila, which is a Chery QQ (yup CHERY QQ) is all stock except for tires, but what they do have is modified drivers. and they keep winning

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Ano advatage ng vtec zone?