New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    New with my honda SIR 99, i just want to know in layman terms anu ung vtec zone na bumabatak at around 5krpm? Di ko pa natry umabot ng 5krpm. lahat ba ng gear meron nito?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    It doesn't have anything to do w/ the gear and has everything to do w/ RPM. Even pag neutral ka, tapus nagrev ka ng above 5k, engine activates "VTEC".

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    What does it do?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^
    it shifts to a more aggressive cam profile.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    So kayang kaya ko ang corolla 1.6gli same year model sa highway? Lagi ako nauunahan eh. hehehe

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
    What does it do?
    VTEC is how Honda can extract 160 HP from a humble 1.6L naturally aspirated engine in an equally humble sedan. In a nutshell VTEC basically gives the engine two characteristics - a quiet refined Dr. Jekyll in everyday driving, but a fast and noisy Mr. Hyde at high RPM.

Previously these two could not be married due to the limitations of valve and camshaft design - it's either you had a smooth idling engine with good emissions but no power, or a powerful engine with a noisy idle and bad emissions.

In daily driving, the added power helps with acceleration in overtaking situations.

The advantage of VTEC is more evident when you drive aggressively at a racetrack. Because one frequently drives at high RPM on the track, the added power helps you drive faster...as long as you know how to keep the engine in the VTEC operating zone (which is 5500 RPM or higher)

Indirectly, VTEC also helped cement Honda's reputation for bulletproof engines. To accommodate the extra power and load, the engine parts have been built with good design and advanced materials previously unheard of for such small engines - they're basically over-engineered for the job. No matter how often you hit VTEC and rev the engine to high heaven, you will not have to worry about it breaking.

If you're into engine modification you'll learn that stock Honda engine parts can handle 600+ wheel HP without a sweat.
    Last edited by Type 100; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Nakakatuwa naman, I never thought that i have that powerful car. I'd like to give it a try. I never dont dare to rev so much bec i fear i might break it.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Yes please, and don't let Corollas, the Civic's archrival, smoke an SiR... But just beware that they too, even Sentra, can have this swapped JDM 1600 cc engines that are equally or more powerful than yours.

The SiR's engine is a rev-happy one. Lucky you.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
    So kayang kaya ko ang corolla 1.6gli same year model sa highway? Lagi ako nauunahan eh. hehehe

damn paps! yakang yaka mo yun. you won't break a sweat defeating a corolla,even a stock of your engine and a stock silver top engine or also known a 4age engine of toyota. you can smoke that in a drag race. don't you look at your engine?? how big it is?? hehe

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRvtec View Post
    damn paps! yakang yaka mo yun. you won't break a sweat defeating a corolla,even a stock of your engine and a stock silver top engine or also known a 4age engine of toyota. you can smoke that in a drag race. don't you look at your engine?? how big it is?? hehe
    My d15b civic once raced a silvertop corolla at slex night.
    Bilis niya sa rektahan pero rear-end siya sa traffic (same weakness with a "downpiped" b16a, easily loses low-end torque when losing momentum often seen at stop-go traffic and steeps) ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Ano advatage ng vtec zone?