New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I have a 1994 accord - all stock. My dad gave it to me so instead of buying me a new car, he decided to just give his car to me. I am thinking setting up, performance wise then exterior, and then interior. I want to fully restore my car with some mods in it.

I just had my fuel pump, fuel filter, timing belt (water pump, tensioner bearing, etc) changed. I basically started with the basics.

I am currently thinking of changing my engine. Do you have any suggestions of what type of engine I should buy?

My mechanic actually told me "kung ise-setup mo yang kotse, wag na. Either bumili ka ng bagong oto or bumili ka ng bagong makina". I was really hesitant when he said that. And so I asked my friend's mechanic. He then told me "ibaba nalang muna natin makina para makita tapos ipoport and polish ko ng buo". What I am actually scared of is if I'm going to pay for that and then he's going to tell me that my engine block is cracked or something, I think I'm spending more compared to buying an engine.

I need an expert's opinion please. I canvassed at some surplus shops and saw f22 and f23 engines. Is that compatible with my car? They told me f engines are stock engines for accord. If I am not mistaken, mine is an f20.

Opinions are open. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    your accord, in stock form, with the proper modifications sa handling and maybe a better intake and exhaust, and assuming na engine is tip top, ay kayang sumibak ng b16 na SiR.

it makes a lot of power na, for its class and weight. if it were mine i wouldnt do an engine swap. not worth the money in my opinion.

if you will gain less that 10whp sa port and polish, wag na lang. mahal din yun, not worth it. pwede mo habulin yung 10whp sa all-motor modification parts, so go figure..

most honda engines after 1989 use aluminum blocks. takes a hell of a beating to crack those, not like the plain iron blocks of old school cars. wag padadala sa mekaniko na magsasabi na may problema sa block or some related BS...

150-200k will already get you a turbo and intercooler, all in including forged pistons and labor, i guess. a low boosting blown (turboed) engine will easily make an additional 15-25whp minimum, at launch. more and its up to the skill of the tuner and the size of your wallet. so your mechanic is wrong in that new honda engines in the 2.0 and up class sell for 80-150k (k20 nga daw is 180-220), and stock, fresh 2nd hand cars in the 2.0 range still sell for 180-250 (tapos set up mo pa yun, doble doble na gastos mo).

my suggestion is that you research around for the proper modifications. wag basta basta maniniwala sa mekaniko (for all you know, sanay yung mga yun sa tamaraw FX, hindi sa honda). and lastly, prepare some money. better to do it right than to do it half assed (pagtatawanan ka lang). walang "mods" na mura na magbibigay sayo ng +5hp at the wheels. lahat sila mahal. if you won't gain at least 10whp for all the money you'll be spending, then what's the point?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dgm23 View Post
    I have a 1994 accord - all stock. My dad gave it to me so instead of buying me a new car, he decided to just give his car to me. I am thinking setting up, performance wise then exterior, and then interior. I want to fully restore my car with some mods in it.

I just had my fuel pump, fuel filter, timing belt (water pump, tensioner bearing, etc) changed. I basically started with the basics.

I am currently thinking of changing my engine. Do you have any suggestions of what type of engine I should buy?

My mechanic actually told me "kung ise-setup mo yang kotse, wag na. Either bumili ka ng bagong oto or bumili ka ng bagong makina". I was really hesitant when he said that. And so I asked my friend's mechanic. He then told me "ibaba nalang muna natin makina para makita tapos ipoport and polish ko ng buo". What I am actually scared of is if I'm going to pay for that and then he's going to tell me that my engine block is cracked or something, I think I'm spending more compared to buying an engine.

I need an expert's opinion please. I canvassed at some surplus shops and saw f22 and f23 engines. Is that compatible with my car? They told me f engines are stock engines for accord. If I am not mistaken, mine is an f20.

Opinions are open. Thanks.
    imho lang po, kung for everyday use car naman po, keep it stock...just maintain your engine properly and keep it decent looking(clean).

after all its a 15year old car, so expect na it loss a bit of its performance and look. and you won't be racing in streets because it is illegal.

but if you're racing your vehicle, go to a proper racing tuner/shop, they will handle your car, and you'll hand them your money

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Think first , what are your plan . Is it for daily driving use, Project race car . If for daily driving just stay stock . If for racing car change your engine . And also depend on your budget.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the advice mga sir. Not really have a race car but just to maximize the power of the engine. Kaya a short ram air intake, modified headers and exhaust ang next ko after mapaayos ang lahat. Next question, hindi pa kasi vtec yung makina ko eh.. Gusto ko sana magpakabit ng vtec na makina. yung surplus lang.. One of the reasons why i canvassed for f22 and f23 engines. Prices ranged from 30k to 38k. Do you think it's a good idea? To be honest, na-overhaul na yung current engine ko kasi madalas nagooverheat dati. Feeling ko humina na yung hatak niya. Although, matagal na din yung sasakyan. Kaya sabi nung mechanic ko cracked na daw yung block ko. I dunno if it's the cylinder head or the body. Tapos naeenganyo ako bumili ng bagong engine especially when my friend, who has a stock esi engine, nagpalit ng d15. All went well naman with the engine change.

Thanks in advance.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dgm23 View Post
    Thanks for the advice mga sir. Not really have a race car but just to maximize the power of the engine. Kaya a short ram air intake, modified headers and exhaust ang next ko after mapaayos ang lahat. Next question, hindi pa kasi vtec yung makina ko eh.. Gusto ko sana magpakabit ng vtec na makina. yung surplus lang.. One of the reasons why i canvassed for f22 and f23 engines. Prices ranged from 30k to 38k. Do you think it's a good idea? To be honest, na-overhaul na yung current engine ko kasi madalas nagooverheat dati. Feeling ko humina na yung hatak niya. Although, matagal na din yung sasakyan. Kaya sabi nung mechanic ko cracked na daw yung block ko. I dunno if it's the cylinder head or the body. Tapos naeenganyo ako bumili ng bagong engine especially when my friend, who has a stock esi engine, nagpalit ng d15. All went well naman with the engine change.

Thanks in advance.

of course you can change your engine, no one is goin to stop you hehehe however, if may budget pala na pang swap engine, why not swap cars instead? suggestion lang sir, why not get a newer car with fewer problems? imho, in the latter part of your cars life, you will have to retire it sooner or later even with a new engine or not imho lang po! sorry kung nakaka offend po.

anyways, swapping engines will still vary on your budget, time and patience.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir,

if may budget ka naman to change engine. Go ahead if you know that your accord body, suspension and other parts are still in good working condition. If not, better sell it na lang and just buy a better car and add your budget in your swap engine.

Just balance it and be sure in your decision coz it's your hard earned money.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Salamat sa advice mga sir. I'll put those things that you mentioned in mind. Thanks ulit.

94 honda accord - engine advice