New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    north american ES civics came with d17s, 1.7L 3 stage vtecs. i think the d16 came with the old EG, and was non-vtec.

i'm not a marketing man, but i think it makes sense to just declare the ES as 1.6 for tax reasons (equals lower sale price) even if its a 1.7L, than to create a new engine block for a specific market in southeast asia. besides, it's a natural progression... nung 90's every car manufacturer still marketed 1.3 and 1.5 engines, but honda already came out with 1.6. when the ES came out, it was 1.7L, and when the FD came out it was 1.8 minimum. other companies still churn out 1.6s.

i'm not 100% sure my ES has a 1.7, though... until i can see the engine block and measure the cylinders with a caliper.

back to topic: i've often wondered if the ES engine would fit into an EK. i doubt if the axles would fit, but to be honest, ang kailangan lang talaga jan oras, research at pera. VW beetles nga nilalagyan na ng b16 ngayon, civics pa kaya?

EG and ES have about the same space in the engine bay, so if you can plop down a d17 in there and the engine mounts line up, well, you're halfway done. remove the old harness and ECU, plug in the new one, and then start.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Sir bago lng ako dito.. Nakabili ako ng makina na d15b 3stage sa banauwe. With complete harness and computer box. Pinalit ko sa ph16 sa esi. Anong rpm para mag 3stage ung makina.. Pls help po.. Tnx

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Nagpalit ka ng computer box sir?

AFAIK, OBDII P08 ang ECU ng D15B 3-stage.

Automatic naka VTEC-E mode (12-valve) yun on idle to low rpm.

Then VTEC-E disengages to use 16-valve mode with no VTEC on mid rpm.

Then you hit the VTEC range around 5000 rpm to activate the 20-camlobe mode, which gives you the VTEC yo kick.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I am having my Esi Block work on a 3-Stage D15B head. there are several issues with this project though, still sorting it out. The ECU for the 3-stage engine is a P2J box, of which several sensors which are not present in the non-vtec Esi engine is now present. The stock P27 Esi ecu can run the engine after the swap, no vtec yet. Mechanically it is possible, but with engine management, as i have said, still sorting it out as of the moment.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pating View Post
    I am having my Esi Block work on a 3-Stage D15B head. there are several issues with this project though, still sorting it out. The ECU for the 3-stage engine is a P2J box, of which several sensors which are not present in the non-vtec Esi engine is now present. The stock P27 Esi ecu can run the engine after the swap, no vtec yet. Mechanically it is possible, but with engine management, as i have said, still sorting it out as of the moment.
    instead of a hybrid engine, why didn't you go for a whole engine swap? It would have been simpler with less issues with electronics and sensors.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    sir since OBD 1 naman ang ESI, might want to try rechipped ecu like po8 box.. Then ECU tuning.. Para less problem.. And with that meron kana Vtec, you can choose at what rpm it will engaged, and you can choose your rev limiter..

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by silverworx View Post
    sir since OBD 1 naman ang ESI, might want to try rechipped ecu like po8 box.. Then ECU tuning.. Para less problem.. And with that meron kana Vtec, you can choose at what rpm it will engaged, and you can choose your rev limiter..
    It would still be a 2-stage Vtec operating system. What i need for this is a 3-stage Vtec rechipping/tuning package for the box the head came with.

I decided a hybrid setup due to the added displacement over the whole engine swap.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    It would still be a 2-stage Vtec operating system. What i need for this is a 3-stage Vtec rechipping/tuning package for the box the head came with.

I decided a hybrid setup due to the added displacement over the whole engine swap.
    Need mo talaga ang p2j, 3 stage vtec din ang engine ko, pero dipa p2j yung box, kailangan mo nang additional sensors niyan, like o2 sensor sa headders..

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Hello Guys,

Newbie po and need your expert advices. Balak ko po palitan ung engine ng Honda Civic 98 LXI ko due to automatic transmission issue. Mas makakamura daw po kasi kung kasama na pati engine. Since may other issues din po kasi ako sa engine like idling and nauubusan lagi ng tubig, so I have decided to change the engine na din po. Ang question ko po e pwede ba sa kotse ko ung Stage 3 d15 na engine na binabanggit sa forum na to? Gusto ko kasi yung medyo malakas yung makina, VTEC, and fuel efficient which I heard na available sa engine na to.

Need your expertise po.

Thanks in advance!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Yes sir swak ang D15B 3-stage VTEC sa ESi mo.

Bolt-on, no modifications needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
3 stage vtec pwede ba sa ESI