New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    hi sirs, im just a newbie here, need some advise regarding the change engine, im planning to change my esi stock engine to d15b vtec 3 stage engine but someone told me na hindi raw fit sa esi yung 3 stage engine as it is different from the ordinary d15b vtec engine. really appreciate your inputs. thanks...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    AFAIK, pwede naman po... jdm d15b ang makina ng esi ko. pinagkaiba lang ng 3-stage ay 2 ang solenoid niya, which has nothing to do with engine mounting.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmanc3 View Post
    ... someone told me na hindi raw fit sa esi yung 3 stage engine as it is different from the ordinary d15b vtec engine ...
    Pinagkaiba lang nila sa panlabas ay yung head cover at extra solenoid ng 3-stage. They have differences mechanically speaking but it doesnt mean hindi na pwede sa esi ang 3-stage. Besides, i already saw one na may ganito.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    +1 lang po ako sa mga post ng nila.
    pwedeng pwede po yung makina khit 3 stage pa yun. kakasya po,alang prob po duon.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jemils_t View Post
    +1 lang po ako sa mga post ng nila.
    pwedeng pwede po yung makina khit 3 stage pa yun. kakasya po,alang prob po duon.

alin po b yung makina n may 3 stage Vtec. yung PH16a (96 civic vtec) anung vtec b nakalagay dun Vtec E?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbloodlestat View Post
    alin po b yung makina n may 3 stage Vtec. yung PH16a (96 civic vtec) anung vtec b nakalagay dun Vtec E?
    AFAIK, d15b lang po ang may 3-stage vtec.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    If the engine block is the same (PH15 and D15 are essentially the same block), there should be no issue with using other flavors of VTEC. Yes it is different but the difference is only restricted to the cylinder head (i.e. the very top of the engine) because almost every VTEC iteration is just a valvetrain technology. As mentioned it has nothing to do with mounting.

I'm not sure the 3-stage VTEC is restricted to just D15s though. The ES Civics had this stock and I think they used PH16 engine blocks which I think were based off D16s or D17s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    I'm not sure the 3-stage VTEC is restricted to just D15s though. The ES Civics had this stock and I think they used PH16 engine blocks which I think were based off D16s or D17s. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hmm I could remember sir volts say something about his ES Civic which has a d17 engine. If it is indeed that vtec3 variant which could well mean a 3-stage vtec implementation, then I guess you must be right on this sir type100.

It could be our local d17 engine on the ES has a 3-stage implementation.
    Is this the VTI-s with the VTEC3 sticker in the rear windshield?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yep no problem sa fitting d15 sa esi. kahit b16 pa ok lang. same mounts lang naman yun. wag lang yung ibang series ng engines like k series and r series.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Hmm I could remember sir volts say something about his ES Civic which has a d17 engine. If it is indeed that vtec3 variant which could well mean a 3-stage vtec implementation, then I guess you must be right on this sir type100.

It could be our local d17 engine on the ES has a 3-stage implementation.
    Is this the VTI-s with the VTEC3 sticker in the rear windshield?
    Yeah, this was a big selling point on the advertisements of ES Civics back in 2001 as "VTEC-3". I'm a little foggy on the actual ES mechanicals though.

Internationally, D17 engines were certainly used, but the local units were sold as 1.6s so I'm not 100% sure.

Medyo off-topic na hehe...the long and short of it is, yes the 3-stage VTEC D15B should fit with no problems :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
3 stage vtec pwede ba sa ESI