New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I had the opportunity to test drive the Honda Pilot, one recently displayed at the Glorietta. The one and only unit in the country had Honda's propietary 3.5l V6 SOHC VTEC(also in the Odyssey and Acura MDX)with a 5 speed AT 244bhp.
    As a side bar, I get to compare this CRV "on steriods" with my gen 2 CRV, which has served me well...being creak free for 3 years(to say the least, I got to prop up the hood only once a month!)

Exterior

Bland is easily the word to describe the Pilot, as I'm no consummate car design expert. Though admittedly its painfully functional, as Honda engineers successfully created a smallish looking mid size suv with more than above average cabin space.

Interior

Power driver seats and front passenger seats that offer superlative bum, thigh and lower back support. Second row 60/40 split seats(on rails) are likewise above average. The third row(an important consideration) is habitable and I can safely say(with my 5'8" frame)I can "survive" a trip to Tagaytay or Subic seating there. Legible white "optitron" gauges, dual front and side airbags, 3 rows of curtain airbags, power moonroof. Plastics are of the same texture and feel as the CRV and seem well built. Don't think it'll creak too.

Drive

The get up and go of the 3.5V6 is more than adequate as it easily gets to triple digit speeds in no time and with nary a fuss. The engine never sounds taxed when pushed to the higher rpm range, a hallmark also felt(and heard)with the 2l IVTEC CRV engine. 5 speed AT shifts unobstrusively and willingly. Never got to use the VTM4(Variable Torque Management 4WD) though, as it was relatively dry this morning, no wet roads to lose traction in. Ride was excellent for a vehicle its size, comfortable but predictable, never wallowy. It actually felt you were driving a compact suv. Noise was obviously coming from the moonroof, then we discovered it was left partially open. Climate control aircon adequately cools the 3rd row passengers as the 2nd row vents are used specifically to reach the 3rd row. Somebody messed up with the PIN of the stereo so we were not able to fiddle with it.

HCPI delivers 20 2007 Honda Pilots this November or December for the first batch. Production starts September and details as to what the final specs will be are still hazy.

Overall, the Honda Pilot is competent and it can go against most mid size suv available in the market(Explorer, Trailblazer, Tahoe). If there's anything to pause or rethink about, its definitely its price...2.6m smackaroos! Its well built, multi-awarded, practical and definitely an alternative to......____I'll let you guys fill in that one.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Good review! Were you able to note the fuel consumption?

Good alternative to the: Explorer Eddie Bauer? If the V6 fuel consumption is typical, you'll make up the price difference in gasoline purchases in... fifteen years or so...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Niky,

Sorry wasn't able to take note of the fuel consumption. No on board computer to tell me that. Web sites and reviews on the Pilot say its relatively "frugal" compared to its American competition, Explorer and Trailblazer. Its pegged at 7km/l city and 10km/l hway(17-22mpg) on US EPA estimates. So sa "real world" Pinoy driving conditions that could translate to 5km/l city and 8-9km/l hway.
    Malayo ride nya sa Explorer Eddie Bauer and it beat the Nissan Murano(came in at no. 2)sa 5 Best Trucks of Car and Driver.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Any hope of this test drive oppurtunity to be available to the common masses any time soon? :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    very well written review. my compliments...

i can vouch for the 'real world' fuel consumption of the Pilot being better than the Explorer, having family members who own both vehicles.

there have been a number of opinions on this site characterizing the Pilot styling and interior as 'bland'. while i totally respect your guys' opinion, i have to say it's a surprise. the Pilot is a big hit in the States, particularly among Fil-Ams, and people generally like the pleasant-but-not-radical form. also, as far as i can tell, the Pilot exterior is very comparable to the CRV, as mentioned, and i don't hear any comments about the CRV being bland.

i drive my sister's Pilot regularly, and i have to agree with most of the comments written above. the interior and exterior are pleasingly functional looking. not Murano-fancy, but they do the job.

maybe if the views here are representative of the Pinoy buying public, Honda might not have the success it's dreaming of with this car. of course, the price might have a little bit to do with any disappointing sales figures as well ;)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Probably not bland per se, but the price is a huge factor. When you start spending so much money, there are expectations that have to be fulfulled.

I have no doubt it'll sell, but I think Honda's cognizant of the fact that not many people are going to buy. This is a niche vehicle, much like the Murano.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    as expected, sarap siguro i-drive nyan pilot. Honda eh! hehehe. i just wish Honda will do something about the price since you mentioned production here.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    good review, miogimd...

Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    there have been a number of opinions on this site characterizing the Pilot styling and interior as 'bland'. while i totally respect your guys' opinion, i have to say it's a surprise. the Pilot is a big hit in the States, particularly among Fil-Ams, and people generally like the pleasant-but-not-radical form. also, as far as i can tell, the Pilot exterior is very comparable to the CRV, as mentioned, and i don't hear any comments about the CRV being bland.
    i agree, for me it's a cut between rugged and formal..

imo, this suv is a good example of "function over form" and that makes it appealing to my taste buds...

sorry po at :offtopic: i'm actually having a toss between having this or the pilot as our next people carrier coz our previa is starting to show its age... mas type ko po kasi pilot kaso mas gusto ni misis ang odyssey, with the latter being cheaper.. pero hindi ko pa masyado problemahin baka next year pa po mangyari yon :soon:
    Last edited by slamtaz; August 28th, 2006 at 05:31 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    HCPI knows its not going to sell in volumes like their Civic and CRV. Much to the chagrin of Honda's top honcho, they already studied our excise tax laws and rules on importing CBU cars from the US. The Alabama plant will start grinding this September, then shipped to Japan, before reaching our shores hanging around customs about a month before delivery.

Plans are afoot to bring the Odyssey as well, but wait and see muna HCPI with the Pilot, then its going to be the same arrangement...limited bulk orders. I've been sent feelers that reservation fee is 100k, earliest this October.

"Function over form", I like that...same premise why I chose the 02 CRV over the 02 RAV4, space carried a premium.

As regards to the test drive, depends kanino naka loan ngayon ang Pilot. Honda Cars Marikina currently has it so you can make an inquiry when you can have a test drive. I signified my intention during the Honda event in Glorietta and my classmate(kinder to 4th year HS), a branch manager, immediately signed me in. I got lucky. And since its the only one here in the country, test drives for the Pilot are "personalized". They'll bring the car to your house and drive it anywhere(as gas allows)you want. Heck, I originally wanted to bring the Pilot all the way sa Tagaytay Highlands and they said..YES! Something came up though, kaya I had to settle driving at C5, the Fort and EDSA.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... Oddysey? IMHO, they have to consider SKD for that, as not many people are willing to pay over 2m for a van... but considering the number of new Previas I see on the road, maybe there are enough for it to sell, anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
2006 Honda Pilot test drive