New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    last wednesday i was on the way to work with my wife. there's this 90* corner not far from where we live. there was a truck going in the opposite direction. the driver obviously miscalculated the turn because even though i was way inside my line (almost a meter -- it's a two-lane road) the truck crushed my fender, damaged the bumper, and destroyed the corner light.

the worse part is, the truck stopped right after hitting me, so i got out to look at the damage. then mister moron started up his truck again, ostensibly to park it at the side of the road. but the practical effect was, i got pinned between the truck's body and my car, resulting in some nasty bruises on my arms, tummy, and back.

immediately after getting free, i stormed over to the truck in a rage and took a swing at the driver in his cab. i missed though (i was at street level and he was still in the cab). anyway my wife was extremely pissed off and traumatized by the sight of me up in the air pinned between the car and truck, so when the guy got off, she took several swings at him and managed to hit him (she's not large though so there wasn't any damage).

the police arrived soon after, and i got a police report stating that the truck was at fault, and that in the process of parking he accidentally caused injuries to me.

i've decided that i don't want to try to extract any money from that deadbeat piece of **** driver or his construction company employer. i'll just charge it to my insurance and since i have a police report stating that they are at fault, i'll let the insurance company try to recover whatever it can from them. that's no skin off my back and i just don't need the hassle.

incidentally i went to see a doctor on the same day and thankfully there were no internal injuries and i didn't bust any gaskets. the doctor said i'll just experience swelling of the bruises and some pain for a day or two.

now here's the thing -- my mom and relatives are saying i should file a complaint against the driver, to "teach him a lesson" and as a preventive measure in case he files a complaint against me (presumably for my taking a swing at him and my wife actually hitting him). but i simply don't want to waste the time doing that. i don't have time to go to some dingy greasy police station and courthouse (getting the police report was painful and inconvenient enough).

question -- is this smart? what are the chances mister moron will actually haul me to court? is it a good idea to file a complaint to head off that possibility?

personally i don't think that driver will take the risk of filing a complaint given that he suffered no injuries (my wife is small) and there was no damage to the truck at all; and i really have more reason to complain; i can get a medical certificate attesting to my injuries; and i do have that police report.

advice?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    You have the option of filing a criminal case against the driver and a civil case against the employer of the driver. It can proceed simultaneously. Should there be a criminal conviction with corresponding award for damages and the driver has no property to satisfy the judgment, the employer can be made subsidiarily liable. In case you filed a separate civil case against the employer for damages, you are not allowed to collect either in the civil case or criminal case but not in both instances.

I suggest you file both just to be on the safe side. Whatever expenses you may incur including attorney's fees, you can claim it in both cases anyway.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Based on your description of the incident, IMO the truck driver will not file a complaint against you or your wife for "assault" or something. He has more things to worry about than getting back at you.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    sir orly, yes you have the option to file a criminal complaint concerning the injuries resulting to accident. yes, he can sue you for attempting to hit him, but that is because, you are in a blind rage after being mere inches of being crushed by the truck. also sue them for the damages made to your vehicle.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think you should wait for him to file first. see, if you file first then that gives him the option to counter-sue for assault (2 counts, you and your wife). if you wait and he does not file a case then just let it go.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    i think you should wait for him to file first. see, if you file first then that gives him the option to counter-sue for assault (2 counts, you and your wife). if you wait and he does not file a case then just let it go.

+1

Im glad you didnt sustain any serious injuries. I wouldve taken a swing at the driver too if I had gotten pinned.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    You could have been crushed to death, the least that you can do is sue the moron. I'm sure you shouted when you were being pinned and when he didn't stop then that is attempted manslaughter or something. Put the guy in jail and save the others that he could victimize in the future.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i realize that driver should be "put away" or something to spare others from his potentially life-threatening stupidity. and i am thankful that i only got a few bruises for my pains.

but the thing is, i have very little faith in our wretched justice system. if i file those complaints, i will have to pay those legal fees up front, with little chance of seeing any of it back in any reasonable amount of time. i mean yes if i suffered internal injuries or broken bones i would definitely see them in court. but as i got off without major injury..

i mean if i have to go file in court and everything i'd have to take time off work. the opportunity cost of that isn't inconsiderable. plus all the legal fees and hassles. which is why i'm inclined to just let the insurance take care of it and to hell with them.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Umm... if my curiosity ain't a bit too late, what kind of truck are we talking about here sir orly? If it's a cargo truck with a 3 cars length, considerable ang nangyari. Notice na wala silang monitor sa rear-most part ng sasakyan nila, talagang naasa lang sila sa side mirrors. Considering the height their side mirrors are placed plus the length between the front and rear of the truck, chances are he couldn't see much of the rear most part. Kaya pag makita nyo sa daan ang mga ganitong truck na nagte-turn, normally nagagutter ung pinakahuling tire sa haba.

Pero, kung maiiksing truck lang yan, malaking T na lang talaga ung driver at dapat na ngang turuan ng leksyon. Nakapasok na ko sa loob ng parehong cargo at dumptruck. And kita pa kahit paano ang likod ng dumptruck sa side mirror nya compared sa cargo.

Really glad Sir na at least recoverable bruises are all that's generated from the incident and not the loss of your life. Hoping you'd recover soon.

Add ko lang, for safety-reasons, best rule to follow is:

When on a curved road (whether the L way or the C way types) or on an intersection and a Cargo truck is approaching from the opposite lane, just hit the brakes. Notice how much of both lanes this type of truck can occupy when making even the slightest change in its steering. If you don't hit the brakes, tendency is your side mirror could get hit (if space is tight), or worse, the same scenario in this post.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it was an Isuzu Forward. 6-wheeler. not a particularly large truck.

actually i was at a full stop. because i know alanganin talaga yung turn. there was a besta van in front of me. interestingly enough, hindi natamaan yung besta (naka-forward nga while the truck was rounding the t urn). i was almost a meter away from the road center line. that driver was just so f-ing stupid. with almost a meter of extra space for him, and i was not moving, natamaan niya pa rin ako.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
what to do after the accident