New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Avoid as much as possible.

Asked the attendant to help put in air in my tires, then after a bit of service, was suddenly told about a (gaping) hole that needed repair.

Surprised about it as I was driving for awhile and didn't feel anything.

Went to the vulcanizing shop nearby and then felt the flat tire. How suspicious that now I felt it just after moving a few tens of meters.

When I saw where and the type of hole (clean, slash-like line at the tire sidewall) then the confirmation sunk in that I've just been had by the guys at the station. People at the vulcanizing shop were also acting a lil too friendly than usual, too.

How sad it is that now one even cannot trust franchise stations to be free from sick, brazen stunts like these.

Learning lesson for me. Wanna warn you guys from falling victim to the MO.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    that's too bad since I also have my wheel airfilled by these gas boys. maybe we should give them the benefit
    of the doubt since you may also have gotten it elsewhere.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I understand where you're coming from, as I regularly use the service as well. Even tip the guys good.

But there simply is too much suspicious circumstances surrounding this incident to write it off as to have happened somewhere else.

To complete the picture:

It was around 8pm. D. Roces Avenue is dimly lit and desolate except for cars and the few and far between still open establishments.

Young gas boy and his (sorry, but) jeje-looking companion were talking and both squatted down to the tire at the onset. First wheel they tried airing was the one pointed out with the bad, audibly noticeable leak.

As mentioned above, it was just a routine stop for air. Nothing felt wrong with the tires after even driving non-stop for a while. Then from fully aerated at the station, tire went almost flat upon reaching the nearby vulcanizing shop.

The appearance of a sudden 'helpful' pedestrian crossing the tall HB barriers pointing to the right shop as I was initially knocking on a supposedly closed one.

The higher than normal price of the repair...

...and finally, the characteristics and location of the leak... well, one can't help but come up with a conclusion similar to my own.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ako naman nun nawalan ng takip yung pito ko, from them pag nagpapahangin ako ng gulong,
    bumababa ako sa oto sinusundan ko yun attendant. better safe than sorry.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    naku alam ko iyang gas station na iyan. iwas na pala ako magpa-hangin diyan.

6. Join Date
    May 2012
    Been going in and out sa petron na malapit samin kilala na nga ako. Di naman siguro lahat pero syempre mayroon din talagang exeption. Di nako nagpapa hangin ngayon bumili nako ng magandang pump mga 600 lng sa chris sports may gauge pa pero di accurate may tire gauge parin ako.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    kaya ako hindi nagpapa-hangin sa mga gas station eh hehe, sa mga trusted kong vulcanizing shop/tire shop ako nagpapahangin. :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is it hard to DIY?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    I understand that during incidents like these, you will immediately conclude that the attendant that assisted you is the one that did it to your tire. But have you also considered other factors that might have caused the hole in your tire? It's also possible that your tire have been slashed even before you went to the gas station. It could be that after air-refill in the gas station, the interior rubber of the tire shrunk already. There may be numerous causes for what happened to you, so better give the attendants the benefit of the doubt. Also, maybe the people at the vulcanizing shop were just trying to be friendly. A smiling person does not always equate to a guilty one.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just as an update.

I was just informed by our driver that last week there already was a hole in the sidewall of the tire in question which he promptly had fixed but didn't bother to tell me. So there is a possibility that the incident was actually due to a shabby repair job.

The revelation changes things. The whole tire-slash conclusion may be unfounded because of it, despite all the factors.

As such, I would like to post this as a retraction to my earlier posts.

Better to be wrong than to cause harm to another party.

I apologize to those affected by the starting of this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WARNING: Caltex Roces Ave (Tire Slasher)