New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Apart from the fact that they don't pay road tax, many bicycle riders hardly know anything about safety. Some use the opposite lane. Others cut their way through U-turning vehicles, and many are simply not courteous to those who have more right to use roads. I would really be happy to ram on them if my car won't be damaged in the process. :mad:

With this license I'm thinking, bikers should become more responsible and aware of their own safety. A lecture and exam should be enforced, as well as safety helmets and elbow and knee pads. The corresponding fee should cover the processing as well as the tax they pay for using public roads. Finally, young kids should be restricted to biking in parks and safe villages only.

Is it just me or is it for the welfare of all road users?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    good luck in enforcing this. but if they are serious in implementing this, they should first start with the licenses for motored vehicles since most licensed drivers are terrible on the road.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    Apart from the fact that they don't pay road tax, many bicycle riders hardly know anything about safety. Some use the opposite lane. Others cut their way through U-turning vehicles, and many are simply not courteous to those who have more right to use roads. I would really be happy to ram on them if my car won't be damaged in the process. :mad:

With this license I'm thinking, bikers should become more responsible and aware of their own safety. A lecture and exam should be enforced, as well as safety helmets and elbow and knee pads. The corresponding fee should cover the processing as well as the tax they pay for using public roads. Finally, young kids should be restricted to biking in parks and safe villages only.

\

I'm with you on this bro. I am advocating a dedicated bike/motorbike lane para hindi sila humalo sa regular lanes ng 4-wheel vehicles. It is hard to change lane these days because a bike is usually lurking beside or just behind you. And when an 'accident' happens,- the biker's life and his/her passenger/s are in peril.... And, who is to blame?

:starwars:

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    no pun intended.

i am a bike rider as well as a motorist. it is rather unfortunate that many of the riding community don't know how road courtesy applies to all. but then again, i think, no need for biker's license. a driver's license will do.

what is my point anyways? all i am saying is that, perhaps, our government should provide incentives to the riding public if they opt to undergo driving seminar- more precisely, road courtesy. but it the government should focus more on those 'underbone' riders. dito ang maraming nadi-disgrasya talaga.

and please don't tax them riders. i'd think they are pro-environment by opting to ride 'clean' by not emitting COx and other greenhouse gasses.

yes, a bike lane is really needed.

+1
    but if they are serious in implementing this, they should first start with the licenses for motored vehicles since most licensed drivers are terrible on the road.
    this i wil advocate. very recently, i knew someone who just 'short-circuited' the system. imagine, di pa marunong magdrive talaga ni-magpark nga nang maayos di magawa e, may DL na by just paying 1.6K! this is rather appalling.
    Last edited by ian_rex; December 26th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    in our regular driver's license, there is a "restriction 1" that qualifies you to ride a motorcycle. but the problem again is enforcement, in a country where the law is only a suggestion.

in bangkok, even their tightest streets as well as their expressways have bike lanes because of the large number of bikers there.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex View Post
    no pun intended.

i am a bike rider as well as a motorist. it is rather unfortunate that many of the riding community don't know how road courtesy applies to all. but then again, i think, no need for biker's license. a driver's license will do.

what is my point anyways? all i am saying is that, perhaps, our government should provide incentives to the riding public if they opt to undergo driving seminar- more precisely, road courtesy. but it the government should focus more on those 'underbone' riders. dito ang maraming nadi-disgrasya talaga.

and please don't tax them riders. i'd think they are pro-environment by opting to ride 'clean' by not emitting COx and other greenhouse gasses.

yes, a bike lane is really needed.
    sir is right, bike lanes and the focus on the underbone riders! there should be incentives - not taxes - for people living in the city who opt for bikes. bicycle licensing will be just another layer in the corruption cake.

on the other hand, in our municipality there used to be plate numbers for bikes. maybe that should be brought back, after the government puts the bike lanes in.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    mahirap toh....

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Apart from the fact that they don't pay road tax
    AFAIK motorcycle riders also does pay for the road tax, AFAIK, MVUC is synonymous to road users' tax right? correct me if I'm wrong

Actually there is, by the power of Restriction number 1 otherwise, the rider won't be able to ride a bike, it's just that the licensing system in the country is somewhat (so) bad, it's as if you're buying it off the counter...

If that system is to be implemented by the government, I reckon either a rider or a driver you won't like it as well ( you know how bad our government is when implementing rules) :D

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    biker lane is indeed useful. ewan ko lang kung i-rerespect yan ng PUV's ...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    bike lanes? I don't think it's going to be a good idea, as I've read somewhere before "everyone has his own rights, like you (the radio announcer) as you ride your car, motorcycle riders has his own rights as well, as long as you follow the law"--Bayani Fernando

so I don't think a motorcycle lane is necessary, I'd find it horrific to ride in a motorcycle lane plus the fact how narrow our roads can get, I think I'd rather go for a mandatory Motorcycle Riders Course prior to having Restriction number 1. I doubt it if bike lanes can do the trick on the problem, besides the outer lane of the road (where a bike lane is usually being put) happens to be the most dangerous part of the road, just my two cents worth...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
There should be a Biker's License