New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Last Friday morning (around 1am) we finished an o.r. (which started 5pm of Thursday). My boss decided to treat us (there were 4 of us) to dinner in Binondo.

Upon reaching the Quaipo bridge. There is a checkpoint. But this one is different. They are stopping all vehicles asking them to open doors and see the license of the drivers. The policemen were all wearing their blue collared t-shirts with no form of visible identification. There was a checkpoint sign.

When I handed my license, the policeman noted that it had expired. Stupid me, it was my PRC ID that didn't need renewal yet and I forgot to renew this one. So I apologized, told him that we had just finished a very long O.R. and I'll just have someone else relieve me from the driver's seat. And if need be, just give me a ticket.

But the policeman claimed that driving with an expired license is the same as driving without a license. Is this true? From my point of view, if my license expired (Professional with restriction 236) then I still held a license whose validity has just lapsed. As opposed to someone who has never attempted nor qualified for a license.

On top of that the policeman wanted to arrest me on the spot! He claimed that I am subject to criminal arrest because my license has expired.

And he then proceeded to insinuate that we had firearms on board the vehicle! Where the hell did that come from?

My boss tried to talk to the apprehending officer but the officer insisted that I be arrested.

Quite tired from the o.r. and the 'negotiations' that were happening, my boss simply introduced himself (he is an ally of the current city administration).

Needless to say the cop backed off immediately (lest he wants to lose his job).

I already got my license renewed this morning.

Ganun ba talaga? They will not issue you a ticket or citation if you happen to have an expired license? They will just arrest you on the spot? I know I had a violation, I'm just clarifying if what the cops were doing were correct.

Btw, this is the same police station that last year tried to 'store' the recovered cellphone that was stolen from a co-worker of mine. They tried to claim it as 'evidence' and that it has to stay with them for the duration of the case. I had to make some quick calls to Crame before they released the phone. In as much as I don't like to throw any weight around, sometimes you have to assert yourself to these kind of policemen.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    doc, obviously the cop was trying to "earn money". did you introduce yourself as a doctor?

based on LTO website:

Driving without License 1,500.00
    Driving without delinquent of expired license 400.00
    Failure to carry Driver’s License 200.00

The Land Transportation Office of the Philippines

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    sad to say majority of the police and traffic enforcers don't know the difference between the above mentioned offenses. all they know is how to milk money.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    sad to say majority of the police and traffic enforcers don't know the difference between the above mentioned offenses. all they know is how to milk money.
    Sad, but true!

* Doc Otep driving without a license is different from driving with an expired license. Next time just use the "whom you know" phenomenon, yan lang alam nila eh. Obviously gusto kayo perahan. Kakainis ano. :twak:
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Criminal Arrest for a expired license!

Sarap turuan ng leksyon yang mga yan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, we kinda sensed early on that they were conducting the checkpoint more as a 'business' than a public service. But we were trying to be low key that's why we were not being too upfront about why he should not mess with us.

No offense meant, but you really know when the cop you're talking to is just after what's in your wallet. It's so blatantly freaking obvious.

In other news, yung pasyente naming bata na pulis ang tatay AYAW MAGBAYAD NG TATAY SA P.F. NG DOCTOR AT MATERIALS NA GINAMIT SA OPERA NIYA! Tignan mo nga naman. Kaya minsan wala din akong magandang masabi sa kapulisan, eh.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    kaya mas matatakot pa mga tao pag nakikita nila ang pulis. im not generalizing but we have to admit that majority of the police personnel are not the best people.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    i would have been good to get all their names and the report them to PNP internal affairs/anti corruption unit

first time i heard of driving with an expired license being a criminal offense

was a special law passed on this?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep. Hindsight is 20/20. We were all so tired from surgery so I guess that's why we forgot about the part of getting their names.

Plus they weren't in the usual uniform. Just the new light blue shirt with no identification on it.

They already got a call from the Directorate for Intelligence when they messed with me and did not want to return the cellphone of my co-doctor. Siguro nga if may strike 3 ito, they're not gonna get off so easily.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post

In other news, yung pasyente naming bata na pulis ang tatay AYAW MAGBAYAD NG TATAY SA P.F. NG DOCTOR AT MATERIALS NA GINAMIT SA OPERA NIYA! Tignan mo nga naman. Kaya minsan wala din akong magandang masabi sa kapulisan, eh.
    hehehehe minsan napunta ko birthday ng pulis. medyo mataas ang rango at me kasama retired na. coming from the retired policeman, "ang pulis ayaw magbayad hangat maari". the bday policeman nods.:D
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 10th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
I am subject to criminal arrest [my second encounter with this particular station]