New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    hi guys, tatanong lang ako about affidavit of loss, ung auto kasi ng kapatid ko, hindi nya mapachange ownership kasi may record ng lost plate when it was with the previous owner, friend ito ng kapatid ko, un nga lang nawala na nya ung papel.
    ngayon eh kelangan raw ng TMG LTO ung affidavit of loss nun para makapagclearance, ang tanong ko e, pede bang magpagawa nalang ng panibagong affidavit of loss regarding the lost plates?
    medyo may katagalan na kasi ung time na nawala ung plates, all i've got is the exact date it was reported, more than 10 years ago na, and of course ung plate number.
    I went to the notary public where it was notarized, hindi pa'ko sure kung tama ung napuntahan ko kasi hindi na raw talaga maalala ng friend ng utol ko kung saan nya napanotarize, to continue.. bad news is the attorney who notarized it has already passed away and sabi sakin pede ko raw makuha ung orig affidavit of loss sa munisipyo sa las pinas..

i think if ever i have two choices:
    1. [easy]: furnish a new affidavit of loss; or
    2. [mahirap]: punta akong las pinas munisipyo para hanapin duon ung papel na un.

may sense po ba tong mga pinagsasabi ko? pasensya na kasi ala ako masyado idea sa ganito.

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Dre alam ko may expiration ang affidavit of loss, 1 year lang yan. Go for the easy way kumuha ka na lang ng bago.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung nag-notaryo, may kopya sila nyan.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    mmm... mukang easy way nga eno?

*zero, meron nga kaso since the attorney passed away na, asa munisipyo na raw ng las pinas ung mga papeles na nagawa nya, ipinapasa raw kasi in cases like that.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    If the notary did his job right, there should be a copy of the affidavit of loss with the Office of the Clerk of Court of the municipality/city where the notary served as such. A notary is required to keep at least 2 copies of each document that he notarizes - one for his own files and another to be given to the Office of the Clerk of Court. If the notary is dead already, your only chance then is to go to the Clerk and get their copy. Of course, this is easier said than done, especially since the document is already ten years old. The Office of the Clerk of Court should be where the Regional Trial Court is located, typically in the Hall of Justice. Don't go to City Hall since they would not be able to help you except to point you to where the Hall of Justice is.

If the previous owner is willing to execute a new affidavit of loss and the LTO accepts it then this might be the easier route. Just a question though - for lost plates, don't you file for re-issuance? I mean, how can a car be running round for ten years without license plates? LTO should have a record of the application for re-issuance of the plates, right?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
    If the notary did his job right, there should be a copy of the affidavit of loss with the Office of the Clerk of Court of the municipality/city where the notary served as such. A notary is required to keep at least 2 copies of each document that he notarizes - one for his own files and another to be given to the Office of the Clerk of Court. If the notary is dead already, your only chance then is to go to the Clerk and get their copy. Of course, this is easier said than done, especially since the document is already ten years old. The Office of the Clerk of Court should be where the Regional Trial Court is located, typically in the Hall of Justice. Don't go to City Hall since they would not be able to help you except to point you to where the Hall of Justice is.
    yan din ung sabi dun sakin when i went to that notary office that i think, is where my brother's friend had an affidavit of loss notarized back then.
    i was thinking if i go that way, ang mahirap is all we have is the plate number and probably a date when it was filed, ung date is based only from the report generated from LTO's system that it was the time it was reported to be stolen. ala ako nung file referrence, page, etc.. number nung affidavit of loss. pero kung encoded na sa computer yung mga un, it would be alot easier.. hehehe

If the previous owner is willing to execute a new affidavit of loss and the LTO accepts it then this might be the easier route.
    yes, i'm planning about this one and i'm really hoping that LTO would accept it.

Just a question though - for lost plates, don't you file for re-issuance? I mean, how can a car be running round for ten years without license plates? LTO should have a record of the application for re-issuance of the plates, right?
    yep they did re issue duplicate plates, kaso ang sabi is kelangan raw ung affidavit of loss to proceed with the clearance, weird nga e.. pero ung misis ng utol ko ung nag asikaso at the time, kaya hindi ko talaga sure why they still needed that affidavit of loss. odd pa kasi while they were checking the history of the vehicle, ayun lumabas nga sa system nila na may record of lost plates. all of this that i'm saying thus far is from my sister-in-law's description.
    mmmm.. now that you've mentioned that, baka fake plates pa'to ah.. only difference i noticed sa plate is ung dash used to seperate the letters from the numbers, instead of being a usual diamond, it's a letter "D".

anyways, i'll try to verify with LTO on what exactly needs to be done.

thank you very much guys, i'll post back my findings just in case anyone else would need it.

query: affidavit of loss