New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Question lang, particularly sa mga lawyers...

Pag sa checkpoint, di ba merong tinatawag na plainview doctrine? If cops flag you down at a checkpoint, they can ask for ID and the car's registration, but they can only inspect the car from outside. Pwedeng hindi ka bumaba, pwedeng di mo buksan ang oto para papasukin ang mga pulis.

Is this correct so far?

E pano yung mga TMG naman na nagiikot sa mga tambayan ng car enthusiasts? If I'm just parked and standing by my car, pwede ba akong hingan ng license and registration? Pwede bang pabuksan ang engine bay to check for the body and engine numbers? Wouldn't they need a search warrant, or at the very least probable cause to do that?

Curious lang ako kasi I witnessed some TMG peeps na lumapit sa mga nakatambay lang. I'm not sure if that was legal.

Personally wala naman akong sabit since nearly all stock ako, but I'd really like to know what my rights are pag dating sa ganyan.

Thanks po sa mga sasagot!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    They can't go in, unless there's "probable cause". All they can do is use their flashlights. My lawyer friend also told me they can't even ask you to open your glove compartment.

I've been flagged down once, went to tagaytay and straight to alfonso with my girlfriend, road trip lang. Last February to be exact. The police had a check point just befor alfonso. It's 12AM, and since we're the only one in the road they flagged us down. The police were courteous, they asked us were we came from and got an ID from me. They listed my name and plate number, then three policemen went around the vehicle, flashlights pointing inside. It took one minute and we're good to go.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    tama nga po, bawal nga yung papasukin mo sila sa kotse mo,under the law, your car is just like your house it's also considered your private property and unless may warrant, they can't inspect your vehicle,kahit na nga yung pagtatayo ng check point, alam ko bawal din, it's also against our rights,kasi ganyan din dati ang tinanong ko sa cousin kong lawyer about checkpoints, at yun na nga ang sabi niya.

kaso siyempre pag nandiyan ka na sa checkpoint,wala ka nang magagawa at hindi ka din pwedeng makipag argue sa mga police at tiyak arrestado ka.

pero kung wala ka namang itinatago, bakit ka matatakot?,kasi karamihan dito pag nasa checkpoint na, kinakabahan, kaya ayun nagmumukha tuloy kahinahinala yung mga naikikilos nila, kaya maghihinala na yung pulis, dun na magkakaroon ng gulo.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    They don't have the right but they have the power.

Pencils

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I remember one night, nung napadaan kami sa kanto ng Katipunan and Aurora Blvd. (near St. Bridget Academy). May police checkpoint dun, so nakasama kami sa pila.

There was this serious-looking police officer hovering around our vehicle while shining his flashlight through our tinted windows, as if he were waiting for something. Eh kami naman ni misis, nakaupo lang at nakatingin sa kanya; nagtataka din kami kung ano'ng hinihintay niya. After 30 seconds of waiting, curiosity got the better of me, and I lower my window to ask him.

Pagkababa pa lang ng salamin, a look of relief crosses the officer's face, and he remarks, "Ay salamat, nagbukas din ng bintana si sir."
    Last edited by Bogeyman; May 16th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    So yung mga nasa security checks like in Megamall, hindi pwede pabuksan yung trunk dahil inside na yon ng sasakyan?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yah sure you can invoke your rights pero pag naabutan kayo ng ganyan sa isang checkpoint tapos tatlong naka-armalite sa liblib na pook sa UP at 1am, wala kayo magagawa like what happened to me some 7 years ago

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Related nadin siguro ito, pag nahuli kaba ng pulis on a violation say speeding, kailangan bang kunin ang lisensya?sa ibang bansa kasi ticket lang bibigay ng pulis.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    So yung mga nasa security checks like in Megamall, hindi pwede pabuksan yung trunk dahil inside na yon ng sasakyan?
    That may be a different case because you are going to a private property, and if a search is one of their requirements to enter then you either abide by it or turn your car around and leave.

Pagkababa pa lang ng salamin, a look of relief crosses the officer's face, and he remarks, "Ay salamat, nagbukas din ng bintana si sir."

As far as having a fully tinted car in which the officer can't easily view the inside, it may be better to lower the window before approaching the officer for your safety and his also.
    This alone lets you know how officers feels when they can't see the inside of a vehicle they are approaching regardless of it's in the Philippines or in the US.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    And one important thing to remember is that a checkpoint should be well-lighted, properly marked and should be supervised by a PNP officer (at least with the rank of Inspector).

But the thing is: it's 1:00AM, there are no other cars/witnesses in sight, and the checkpoint is manned by officers wielding high-powered firearms (who incidentally look like goons), and they ask you to get down from the car, open your trunk and glovebox and inspect your vehicle, would you have the temerity to say NO and invoke your rights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
proper procedures