New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    marami na nga akong nababasa regarding sa TMG car na tumatambay sa places like macapagal area....then lumalapit daw talaga sa mga naka-park na naka-setup na mga kotse(or those which looks like kargado ang makina) at pinapabuksan ang hood to inspect the engine...walang magawa yung mga motorista kundi ang sumunod....sino ba naman ang hindi susunod, eh 3 to 4 ung nakapalibot sa yo na may armalite.....sana ma-caught in the act ito ng mga media groups....

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    And you're all assuming the officers are genuine officers. What if carnapping gang yan posing as checkpoint officers? Hay, dilemmas, dilemmas!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    pero kung wala ka namang itinatago, bakit ka matatakot?,kasi karamihan dito pag nasa checkpoint na, kinakabahan, kaya ayun nagmumukha tuloy kahinahinala yung mga naikikilos nila, kaya maghihinala na yung pulis, dun na magkakaroon ng gulo.
    Can't be helped given the reputation of the police in our country. I know it's not fair to generalize, but until they can improve the public's perception of them, people will continue to fear them instead of feeling safe in their company.

Maybe someday...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Yes, the police have no right to ask you to get out of your car and open your trunk, etc for inspection, unless they have probable cause. The existence, though, of probable cause is difficult to asses; some cases tell us it's more than a mere suspicion but others have been more linient towards the explanations given by police. In the case of those hanging around places where car-enthusiasts usually gather, the cops might claim they were suspicious of the cars there and decided to make sure all were legit.

However, note that probable cause is only applicable to government agents, i.e. if a security guard forces you to open your trunk while going to the mall parking and he finds some unlicensed firearm or drugs inside, for example, you cannot claim that the search was illegal since the one who found it was a private person. There's a case taught in law school involving courier service employees who found drugs in a box meant to be shipped and the court allowed the drugs to be presented into evidence even if the accused claimed it was inadmissible since there no probable cause for the search since the courier service employee was not limited by probable cause, that is reserved only for agents of the state.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    As far as having a fully tinted car in which the officer can't easily view the inside, it may be better to lower the window before approaching the officer for your safety and his also.
    Nowadays, when we come through a police checkpoint at night, all I do is slow down to crawling speed while my wife switches on the cabin lights to increase interior visibility. Apparently, that alone would satisfy a local police officer.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    i also lower my windows and open the cabin lights when there's a check point.

just to add to the advise given here, the worst thing you can do at a check point is to suddenly get out of the line and make a rapid U-turn to get away. this has been held to be sufficient probable cause for the cops to come after you.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leolop View Post

just to add to the advise given here, the worst thing you can do at a check point is to suddenly get out of the line and make a rapid U-turn to get away. this has been held to be sufficient probable cause for the cops to come after you.
    At 3 AM, months ago, I was on my way to airport. At the corner of Belfast St. and Quirino Ave.,Novaliches, there was a police checkpoint. After turning right to Belfast, I was signaled to stop and I pulled over.

I opened my window, lit my interior lights, and greeted the police officer, "Good morning".

He peeped inside the car and asked what was the traveling bag for. I answered, I'd be flying to Tacloban. Then, he let me go.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leolop View Post

Another thing to always do is have your hands in plain view like on the steering wheel, do not reach for anything without letting the officer know what you intend to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
proper procedures