New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Its not plausible for a Mobile Phone to spark a fire in a gas station. However, static electricity that is caused be the person itself could cause a spark and ignite the fumes.

This is a tried and tested fact that fires in gas stations are caused primarily of static electricity. Nevertheless, caution is to be excercised whenever near gas pumps or reserviors.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Its not plausible for a Mobile Phone to spark a fire in a gas station. However, static electricity that is caused be the person itself could cause a spark and ignite the fumes.

This is a tried and tested fact that fires in gas stations are caused primarily of static electricity. Nevertheless, caution is to be excercised whenever near gas pumps or reserviors.
    yes, we've all seen videos of static electricity causing fires in gas stations. pero can a guy standing at a gas station while using a mobile phone generate enough static electricity to jump to the gas truck 10 feet away and ignite the petrol? that's quite a stretch.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    what a stupid rule.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC11 View Post

Agreed. We are actually fortunate in this regard because most of the time the Philippine climate isn't conducive to static electricity generation.

Even so, there are ways of ridding yourself of any potential static. Like any serious computer builder will tell you (static is also dangerous to computer parts - it can fry them), to remove any static, all you need to do is touch a metal piece before approaching or working with the item you don't want static on. On a computer you can touch the case frame; on a car you can simply touch the door (or better yet close it) before using the pump.

More info here on avoiding static-related gas pump fires.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...tic-fires2.htm
    http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/extension/...ndout-long.pdf

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beereo View Post
    it's inappropriate to ask for the or/cr of the driver if you are not a law enforcement officer clothed with the authority of demanding the production of such documents in case of infractions. i have not read any special penal law penalizing persons who use cellular phones while in a gas station. if i were in that situation, i will not definitely give such important documents to anybody because it is my right.

errr... yes, I'm from law enforcement.

2nd.. that's why the staff will tell you like "sir pls switch off your phones and no using of it"

3rd, in court you couldn't say.. "eh sa mythbusters it was proven wrong." Again, it's one thing to disagree and another to disobey. Ganun lang po ka simple yun.

4th, yes I did inform the staff. Ano magagawa nila pag skeleton crew sila that night? Hihintayin ko nalang ba? I mean, c'mon guys the cellphone ban sign is practically posted on the walls.

5th, nakiusap naman ako ng maayos sa person. If he wanted to come to blows with me, then diretso arrest na yun. That's why I said I "requested" and not ordered. Like what I said, you have to be patient with those individuals.

6th, yeah.. I switch off my mobile phone every time I enter the gas station to fill up... don't you???
    Last edited by SaberRider; January 12th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.rkmfiles.net/forums/index.php?topic=192.0

Citizen's Arrest:

A citizen may conduct an arrest without the need for a warrant if he has personal knowledge that a crime has been committed or in fact is being committed or has been committed and he has personal knowledge that the person he is going to arrest is the one who committed the crime.

Rule 113 of the Rules of Court, sec. 5. enumerates the circumstances in which a private person can make an arrest. The general rules is that, arrest must be made with a warrant of arrest. The exception to this rule is that of sec. 5 as follows:

a private person may, without a warrant, arrest a person:

(a) When, in his presence, the person to be arrested has committed, is actually committing, or is attempting to commit an offense;

(b) When an offense has just been committed and he has probable cause to believe based on personal knowledge of facts or circumstances that the person to be arrested has committed it; and

(c) When the person to be arrested is a prisoner who has escaped from a penal establishment or place where he is serving final judgment or is temporarily confined while his case is pending, or has escaped while being transferred from one confinement to another.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberRider View Post
    errr... yes, I'm from law enforcement.
    If you are from law enforcement, why do you need to do a "citizen's arrest" then?

Next, if you are from law enforcement, you are required to show identification BEFORE anything else. There are PROPER PROCEDURES that are supposed to be done before proceeding with duties.

4th, yes I did inform the staff. Ano magagawa nila pag skeleton crew sila that night? Hihintayin ko nalang ba? I mean, c'mon guys the cellphone ban sign is practically posted on the walls.
    If you are from law enforcement, it is NOT your duty to enforce the management rules of a gasoline station. You are stepping out of bounds of your own jurisdiction.

5th, nakiusap naman ako ng maayos sa person. If he wanted to come to blows with me, then diretso arrest na yun. That's why I said I "requested" and not ordered. Like what I said, you have to be patient with those individuals.
    Maybe that was what you were trying to make happen? You were intentionally trying to provoke him to violence?

I do not see you trying to ask him properly. You didn't show who you are, you just went directly asking for his OR/CR.

6th, yeah.. I switch off my mobile phone every time I enter the gas station to fill up... don't you???
    Nope. I don't bother because it cannot cause a gas station to catch fire.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    To the TS, please define exactly what position or branch of law enforcement you currently employed with. Meron kasing iba na taga photocopy lang ng papel sa NBI or Police station, law enforcement na din daw. You may have good intentions by what you want to do and I applaud your vigor in exercising such, but the way you did it was way wrong!! You're just put yourself in the same level as the jerks from pasay police who harass motorists with their imagined swerving violations.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Nope. I don't bother because it cannot cause a gas station to catch fire.
    this is the reason why this is a useless law - 99.99% of visitors/customer don't turn off, and even use, their phones in gas stations yet we have never had a case of fire resulting from mobile phones. mas delikado pa nga yun nakikita ko nagyoyosi sa tabi ng open tank that is being filled, which i see from time to time.

gumawa kasi agad ng law about this eh wala naman evidence proving the case.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I guess the last thing anyone needs after his car gets stalled is an EPAL who thinks he knows better.

Smoking in a gas station is one thing, but MOBILE PHONES? I don't think it's even remotely possible to ignite fuel using a mobile phone. It doesn't even warm my ears when I use it.

Instead of dumagdag ka sa problema sana tumulong ka nalang.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Pls don't use your phone inside a gas station Silver Vios ZRB ep# 2