New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Does Odometer Tampering exist here?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

17 68.00%
  • It's impossible

0 0%
  • more than 50% are tampered

4 16.00%
  • less that 50% are tampered

4 16.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Sometimes when out looking at second hand units you will encounter the buy and sell person who claims to be selling you a fresh and low mileage unit. I often get this gut feel that it may not really be that low mileage a vehicle. Specially cars over 10 years of age with electronic odometers as opposed to the mechanical.

You can't prove it but there are signs that indicate the car is worn but the mileage doesn't seem to tally with that. Your thoughts?

Also are there legal ways to go after odometer tampering? If so where do you report cases and how can you prove it? Is that why some relatively new cars "lose" their casa records?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    My 13 year old car as of now has only clocked around 59,xxx km in it.

Yes, some do tamper their odometer readings to attract more customers.

However, you could determine the current state of the car by looking at other aspects other than the odo. reading.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    My 13 year old car as of now has only clocked around 59,xxx km in it.

Yes, some do tamper their odometer readings to attract more customers.

However, you could determine the current state of the car by looking at other aspects other than the odo. reading.
    really sobrang dalang mo naman yata gamitin ang auto mo, anyway can they tamper a digital odo? i think replacing the cluster meter is much easier than to tamper the odo, Back to "0" state ung auto kahit bulok na ung body.. hehehe

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The odometer reading shouldn't be the primary determining factor as to the car's overall condition, as already mentioned above. A simple test drive and ocular inspection of the interior and exterior can tell more than just looking at a bunch of numbers.

Use the odo reading, however, to validate the seller's reputation. If he/she can lie about the mileage, nothing's stopping him/her from lying about any hidden problems about the car.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TholitzReloaded View Post
    really sobrang dalang mo naman yata gamitin ang auto mo, anyway can they tamper a digital odo? i think replacing the cluster meter is much easier than to tamper the odo, Back to "0" state ung auto kahit bulok na ung body.. hehehe
    Malapit lang ang mga pinupuntahan ko bro. Kaya ganun.

Malapit na nga siya mag 60k eh. 59,9** na.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Malapit lang ang mga pinupuntahan ko bro. Kaya ganun.

Malapit na nga siya mag 60k eh. 59,9** na.
    i know somebody in the buy and sell business that swears that odometers (whether electronic / digital or analog) can really be tampered with.. he even cites an example of a guy who does it for about 2,500 per odometer... he describes the work as "..mas matagal pa magbaklas ng dashboard, gauge cluster kumpara sa pag tamper ng odometer... " he even described the status of the guy doing it for him na "... dati eh naka 2nd hand car lang, ngayon nakabili na ng brand new na kotse at cash pa ang ipinambayad..."

i suppose you can count this as part of the underground economy of the country...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I think this is rampant especially with the buy and sell of used cars.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    a perfect example from the for sale ads of

[SIZE=5]TO[/SIZE][SIZE=5]N08[/SIZE]

here in tsikot!!

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63147

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Reminds me of a used Revo that I looked at some years back. Tinawagan ko yung may-ari upon seeing it sa ads, he claimed that super sariwa yung unit saka 30,000+ lang ang tinakbo (forgot the exact figure na sinabi sakin). Since familiar ako sa area nung seller I decided to make a "surprise" visit pero ako yung na-surprise, pagdating ko baklas ang dashboard when I asked kung bakit ganoon ang palusot eh nililinis daw, at that point duda na ako, nung binuksan ko yung hood nakita ko yung tag na nakalagay na nagpalit na ng timing belt a few months before with 97,000km at that time. Pagkakita ko nun umalis na lang ako habang di pa tapos yung seller sa mga boladas nya.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    My bro in law sold his 3 year old innova with 50k plus mileage, so dahil madami ng tinakbo binarat siya ng todo ng buyer, napilitan na siyang ibigay, after 2 weeks nakita niya yung sasakyan niya nasa ads na, low mileage 20k plus lang tinatakbo tapos plus 100k sa presyo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is odometer tampering rampant?