New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I agree with you but only up to a certain point.
    Ditto.

Dipped headlights and the more ubiquitous, LED DRLs under a bright summer day in a tropical country like ours will not cause glare enough to mask other smaller vehicles and pedestrians. Perhaps the bright rays of the sun or its reflection on tinted vehicles and chrome jeepneys will. How often do we experience the sun shining directly on us, albeit only briefly and the sunshade doesn't help since there are small gaps where the sun's rays still go thru? But I'm being scrupulous.

I agree that just because some countries are using it, it doesn't automatically become beneficial for us. Same logic holds true with the statistical analysis of the US DOT/NHTSA. Let's admit it, our country is unique. You and I are responsible (and sensible) enough to turn our lights on in certain driving conditions. But we have drivers of public vehicles, jeepneys in particular who, in some cases, refuse to turn on their headlights even at night, and in some cases, private motorists who forget (?) to turn on their lights when poor visibility calls for it. So maybe, we do need to hotwire DRLs on our vehicles, lest we forget to turn them on.

Last edited by Radical!; June 15th, 2015 at 05:02 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    "Eka nga daw ng ibang driver pag nakailaw ka bulag ka raw"
    but it's for your safety and other motorists safety!!
    Anyway I turn my parklight/headlights in tunnels,Parking entrance, When the clouds is dark/raining or when it's dark already, sometimes I get irritated by Black cars driving at night without headlights pasalamat sila nakikita ko sila kahit super dark tint ng kotse ko and I barely use my foglights in city streets and highway parang I don't need those light in the metro and parang nakakasilaw pa nga ang foglights.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Mas nahihirapan ako magdrive kapag palubog palang yung araw, pero di pa bukas yung mga ilaw sa kalsada at ilaw ng mga sasakyan. Minsan kahit bukas na HL ko parang hirap pa din, compared to a fully dark area pero naka on ang HL mo.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leodawesome View Post
    Mas nahihirapan ako magdrive kapag palubog palang yung araw, pero di pa bukas yung mga ilaw sa kalsada at ilaw ng mga sasakyan. Minsan kahit bukas na HL ko parang hirap pa din, compared to a fully dark area pero naka on ang HL mo.
    Same here. Again, it's due to the rapidly changing lighting conditions, unlike at night where the pitch black surroundings are consistent, and car headlights are easily distinguishable. And since the road is dark, even unlit motorcycles are noticeable as their small movements are in stark contrast to the empty darkness.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    newer cars have interior lights (instrument panel and dashboard) that light up as soon as the key is in IGN mode. kaya akala nila kahit gabi na naka-on na mga ilaw nila tulad sa mga lumang auto na headlights on equals dashboard lights on.

as for jeepneys, nanghihinayang siguro sa presyo ng bumbilya, mas priority ang yosi. add to that mali ang beam pattern ng headlamp nila madalas baliktad ang headlamp kaya kahit "dim" ay masisilaw ang kasalubong. pero pansin ko sa mga jeep dahil wala silang tint at open ang sides ay same ang visibility mo from the driver's view at kung nasa labas ka ng jeep/pedestrian ka.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

newer cars have interior lights (instrument panel and dashboard) that light up as soon as the key is in IGN mode. kaya akala nila kahit gabi na naka-on na mga ilaw nila tulad sa mga lumang auto na headlights on equals dashboard lights on.

as for jeepneys, nanghihinayang siguro sa presyo ng bumbilya, mas priority ang yosi. add to that mali ang beam pattern ng headlamp nila madalas baliktad ang headlamp kaya kahit "dim" ay masisilaw ang kasalubong. pero pansin ko sa mga jeep dahil wala silang tint at open ang sides ay same ang visibility mo from the driver's view at kung nasa labas ka ng jeep/pedestrian ka.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ako pag medyo dumilim ng mga 6pm sindi ako ng parklight muna after mga 30 mins at medyo dumilim na sindi naman ng foglamps.after ng mga 30mins ulit at talagang madilim na..mag sisindi nadin ako ng head lamps..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nori View Post

kaya hindi nag sisindi ng head lamps kadalasan mga jeep para hindi masilaw ang mga pasaherong nag aabang,at para madaling mabasa ung signboard na naka sabit sa kanilang windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by nori View Post

kaya hindi nag sisindi ng head lamps kadalasan mga jeep para hindi masilaw ang mga pasaherong nag aabang,at para madaling mabasa ung signboard na naka sabit sa kanilang windscreen.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Iitim daw ang lens kaya sinusulit kung kelan bubuksan ang HL Partly true, kaya ang mga taxing medyo luma na at yung mga masasabing laspag na tsikot di na singlinaw ang mga HL lens. PUJ's? tama para mas makita ng commuter ang signage nila....papano pag loaded na sila nakaangat na nguso... natural daig pa ang high beam ng aim.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    The third car I ever owned was a 1980 Saab 99 Turbo which had DRL's connected to the ignition, this meant that the DRL's came on with the ignition. Since then I have always switched my dipped beam headlamps on as soon as I start the ignition regardless of wahat vehicle I am driving and in what country I am. Automotive lighting is a complex subject which is very often abused. As has been mentioned in previous posts vehicle lights serve two main purposes; 1) To be able to see better in poor visibility conditions. 2) To be better visble to other traffic and pedestrians. It is this second point which many people seem to ignore. Always make sure all your all the lighting on your vehicle is clean, in good working order and properly adjusted. Make sure you use the lighting according to their correct and intended use. Parking lights (also sometimes called side lights) are for exactly that, making parked vehicles visible, they are not intended for use when the vehicle is moving. Dipped beam headlamps are meant for use when the vehicle is in motion in traffic. Main or high beam is for to provide improved visbility on empty normally unlit roads. Here in Europe we also have front and rear fog lamps, these, especially the rear fog lamps are for use in poor visibility, in fact in Germany there are two laws which can be connected 1) rear fog lamps are only to be switched on when visibility is below 50 metres. 2) When visibility is below 100 metere thst maximum speed allowed is 1 km/h per 1 metre of visibility regerdless of if the road has a higher general speed limit. Ergo maximum speed allowed when the rear fog lamps are in use is 50 km/h! Rear fog lamps are not allowed to be used in rain or snow when the road surface is wet and so glare is increased. Also in Europe it is now law for all new vehicles to be fitted with DRL's, the problem here is that DRL#s are only at the front and many people joyfully drive around as it gets dark thinking I don't need to switch on my "normal" lights as I have DRL's not realising that they then have no illumenation at the back and so people approaching from behind have difficulty seeing them. I could go on for hours on the subject of vehicle lighting but I think I have written enough for the time being. One final point that the manufacturers and legislatory should think about is that having lights of various intensity - parking, DRL's, dipped beam, fog lamps, main beam etc. make it more difficult to estimate speed and distance of on coming vehicles. For this reason I am in fovour of restricting the front lighting on moving vehicles to dipped and main beam at the front and normal lights and brake lights at the rear, dipped beam and rear lights should be connected to the ignition and be on when ever the engine is running and the parking lights come on when the switch is in the on position and the ignition off. Get rid of automatic lights as they just get annoying when there are lots of tunnels and bridges and the lights of the car in front of or behind you keep switching on and off and also get rid of fog lamps, DRL's and all other stage of external lighting.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mahal daw Meralco

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123