New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Happened to my uncle's friend once. In Makati he was caught making a U-turn illegally. He knew he was at fault so he surrendered his license and took a ticket. The next few days, an MMDA flagged him down for "swerving." IIRC, this was in EDSA extension approaching Mall of Asia. This time, he was sure he did not really swerve. It's just that his car was nearing those orange blocks forming a U-turn and he slightly turned right to go straight. But in MMDA speak, that's already swerving. We all know they'll do anything for you to commit a violation and pay up.

Well, going back to the ticket, he presented it to the MMDA officer, but it wasn't honored. Since he obviously can't produce his license, the light-blue guy already added a Driving-Without-License violation. My uncle's friend was furious he wanted to get away at the start, but traffic won't let him. Being a tall, big guy, he wanted to beat the officer to pieces, but that would just worsen his case. What I remember is that he just settled a certain sum, I think half the fine of his "violations." Then he immediately went back to Makati and claimed his license.

I hope none of us will experience what he did, so whatever happens, NEVER EVER give up your license. We know for a fact that there are warring traffic organizations (MMDA, MAPSA, Choco Boys, etc.) where the motorists are the biggest losers. There are different traffic rules in different places in Metro Manila, so be careful. But if you're caught, just be ready to spare a few hundreds, which is exactly what they want anyway. Believe me, it's way easier than what that guy experienced.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    y o y?!? tsk tsk tsk!!! grabe naman yun! ..well ganyan talaga if it's your fault din... so am I what happened to me on the past years,. ingats na lang mga paps!!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this is just stupid...stupid stupid stupid enforcers of the so-called law.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ...ako nga sa las pinas nahuli, from color coding ginawang reckless driving (nakipagtalo pa kasi ako at inandar ko ng konti yung oto). nung kini-claim ko yung license ko sa traffic mgt ng LP kinausap ko yung head nila kung baket ganun. lo' and behold, they have their own list and definitions of "reckless driving".

...kaso when i checked the LTO website, wala rin palang clear definition ang reckless driving.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    well most of these enforcers are not really properly trained... kaya wala akong maramdaman respeto sa mga enforcers natin eh. I guess most of you feel the same... Ang tingin ng karamihan sa kanila eh mga bwitre na naghihintay ng mabibiktima. They are not different from pickpockets! they are just justifying their actuations with their uniforms.. no wonder why our country is like this....

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    i was once a witness too to their stupidity...

i went to galleria about 2 months ago and was looking for their entrance in front. they used to have one just beside the flyover (edsa side)...so coming from south, i took the buslane to get to the underpass at nandun ako sa rightmost side looking for the entrance that used to be there...and since it was the buses' lane, nandun ako sa line nila...biglang may lumapit na mmda, telling me that i was in the bus lane and demanded for my license...sabi ko naghahanap lang ako ng entrance kaya nandun ako sa tabi...ang sabi sakin eh sarado na raw yon...ang sabi ko naman eh hindi ko alam kase di naman ako palagi don, pasensha na. ABa, nag insist paren ng license! ampff!!! sabi ko may nakalagay ba don na wala nang entrance? i did not see any visible signs...halatang naghihintay ng lagay...after ng mahabang discussion...nag give up den sha and then let me go. darn unscrupulous enforcers!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    labo talaga.. nung kinuha yung license ko dito sa makati sinabi sakin nung mapsa valid daw yung ticket as a temp license. buti na lang di ako nahuli ulit before ko na claim yung licensya ko.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    yun lang yellow lane eh! bakit pag private vehicles ang napupunta ng yellow lane hinuhuli pero pag bus ang lumalabas eh hindi hinuhuli! tsk! tsk! tsk! my dad always argue with them tapos pinaaamin nya na gusto lang nila mangotong! yun mga ogag na enforcers naman umaamin! hehehehe! erpats ko naman pag umamin binibigyan na lang ng 100.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    imo you can partly blame this on the turf war of their respective mayors. ayaw nilang mag-usap, mag baba ng pride at mag-cooperate kaya walang consistent at uniform traffic by-laws sila sinusunod (local gov'ts and mmda). tayo tuloy ang napeperwisyo

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Just some tips when dealing with traffic enforcers -

1. Never be rude to them, especially if you know you have not done anything wrong. For most of them, their dignity is the only thing they have. You attack their dignity, you lessen your chances of getting off scot-free. Instead, greet them cordially and ask what the problem is.

2. If you've been caught "swerving," ask the officer to please define what swerving is. Chances are he can't. If he does, ask him his source for the definition. Tell him your lawyer has advised you to contest the ticket if you're caught for "swerving." Tell him your lawyer would be more than willing to contest the ticket in court, meaning he will have to appear also. Most of them dread going to court and making fools out of themselves. More often than not, the officer would simply start scratching his head. This is your cue to advise him to ask his superior for the meaning, close your window and slowly drive away.

3. If you're caught running a red light (and are actually innocent or is a victim of abrupt light changes), you can tell the officer that your friends have informed you about the intersection being a trap or that it has been discussed in the internet forums as a well-known trap) and that you have been advised by your lawyer to contest the ticket. The officers are supposed to be guiding traffic - NOT waiting for offenders. As this will be revealed in court, the officers would rather not take the risk and be penalized for non-performance of duty. More often than not, especially if they are convinced your lawyer will contest the ticket, they will let you go.

4. For those lucky enough to have a foreign driver's license, bring along a hotel key (e.g. Shangrila EDSA's card key). If arrested, tell the officer you're just visiting and that you are staying in the hotel, that you do not have a local address, and that the car does not belong to you. (It belongs to a sibling, etc.) If he threatens to get your driver's license, gently inform him that the license is the property of the foreign government and that if it is subseqently lost, he will be liable. This will usually scare the officer to back off and let you go. It is up to you then if you want to give him a consolation prize or not.

5. If you are too young to convince the officer that you interact with lawyers, you can tell him that you were advised by your dad's lawyers.

Just remember to be polite. If the officer has no reason to be offended, chances are he will let you go once he realizes the risks he will be taking if he persists on giving you a ticket. After all, there are so many other victims he can feast on. It is just a matter of waiting for these guys. There is simply no reason for him to waste his day(s) in court where he can not prey on victims.
    Last edited by architect; July 5th, 2006 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Corrected numbering

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Makati Ticket NOT Accepted by MMDA