New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Overdrive light is on IF YOU TURN YOUR OVERDRIVE OFF. The simple reason is that the overdrive is supposed to be always on during normal driving. The car is alerting you to the fact that your overdrive is off ... that's why the light is on. Overdrive is a kind of electronic extra gear. It is (supposedly) designed to save fuel and increase the life of your transmission.
    Yeza.

Now, about what happened to your brakes, that should not have anything to do with O/D. O/D being off might just slightly improve your acceleration at cruising speed by automatically shifting to a lower gear, and not from a standstill at that, but then that's still not turbo boost/NOS so you should still be able to haul your ride down. Something is incorrectly triggering your brakes not to bite/engage with the O/D off. Have it towed to the casa ASAP.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tanong ko lang when engaging OD on/ OD off... kailangan pa ba naka full stop ang car or kahit on high speed pwede ka mag OD... Yesterday na experience ko I was running 170km/hr.. ( just checking the wheel balance).. then bigla syang parang nag change ng gear (kumadyot) but still running on the same speed.. Does it mean I need to engage my Overdrive??

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    have you checked your brake fluid level?... it could be you have low brake fluid level (or inadequate pressure). When you were pumping the brake pedal, pressure built up enough to stop the CRV.

Or you could have a bubble in your brake lines.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    -sorry na-double post-

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Point taken po. But just wondering out:
    How come when O/D is off when I was driving our XTO, the gear shifts at higher rpms and you can't go any farther than 80 km/hr? Torque seems to be higher din. So if it does only shift up to 3rd gear, then ba't iba ang hatak with compared to O/D on? Electronic adjustment by the ECU? Pag naka-off kasi parang kaya pang umovertake nun (sa xwind ah?), pero pag naka-on wala na talagang pagasa kahit diinan pa gas pedal to downshift.

Also, what then gives the feel na parang "dumudulas" ang brakes when you're braking when O/D is on? There were four who drove our XTO then including myself, and pag naka O/D on ramdam talaga na kelangan pang diinan ang brake pedal compared to when it's off. Kahit mabagal pa takbo.

And lastly, yup, misconception rin talaga na it's like a turbo boost device (personally, courtesy of the service advisors of Isuzu Alabang themselves ). May car mag na rin na nagsabi na "Shame that it's still slow even with turbo" or something like that. Well, for the least, that's why we opted a manual tranny on the Sportivo and I get to correct my interpretation of O/D. Salamat po!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRock View Post
    tanong ko lang when engaging OD on/ OD off... kailangan pa ba naka full stop ang car or kahit on high speed pwede ka mag OD... Yesterday na experience ko I was running 170km/hr.. ( just checking the wheel balance).. then bigla syang parang nag change ng gear (kumadyot) but still running on the same speed.. Does it mean I need to engage my Overdrive??
    Depending on the load on the tranny it should make shift adjustments as needed. Even if you don't have the O/D on it should still shift accordingly, i.e. if you floor the pedal to accelarate quickly your tranny will down shift if it needs to or up shift when needed. You can engage it while in motion and it won't matter you will just see the rpm go down a bit, maybe from 3000rpm to 2500rpm. When I went to LA from San Francisco I would turn it off going up the Grapevine because we would be climbing over 4000 feet and turn it on again going down.
    Just keep in mind the tranny shifts depending on the load you put on it, step on it to pass other cars and let off when you want to cruise.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    Point taken po. But just wondering out:
    How come when O/D is off when I was driving our XTO, the gear shifts at higher rpms and you can't go any farther than 80 km/hr? Torque seems to be higher din. So if it does only shift up to 3rd gear, then ba't iba ang hatak with compared to O/D on? Electronic adjustment by the ECU? Pag naka-off kasi parang kaya pang umovertake nun (sa xwind ah?), pero pag naka-on wala na talagang pagasa kahit diinan pa gas pedal to downshift.

Also, what then gives the feel na parang "dumudulas" ang brakes when you're braking when O/D is on? There were four who drove our XTO then including myself, and pag naka O/D on ramdam talaga na kelangan pang diinan ang brake pedal compared to when it's off. Kahit mabagal pa takbo.

And lastly, yup, misconception rin talaga na it's like a turbo boost device (personally, courtesy of the service advisors of Isuzu Alabang themselves ). May car mag na rin na nagsabi na "Shame that it's still slow even with turbo" or something like that. Well, for the least, that's why we opted a manual tranny on the Sportivo and I get to correct my interpretation of O/D. Salamat po!
    If you can't go faster than 80 with the O/D off then it could be the gearing limit for your vehicle. What rpm is the engine running at 80 and what is your redline? If you step on the skinny pedal with the O/D on as long as you are not already running at redline it should still downshift if it's at the highest gear. You may feel more torque with it off because you are running at a lower gear. As far as the braking does your vehicle use hydro-boost assist or vacuum assist for braking? Maybe there isn't enough pressure.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    And lastly, yup, misconception rin talaga na it's like a turbo boost device (personally, courtesy of the service advisors of Isuzu Alabang themselves ). May car mag na rin na nagsabi na "Shame that it's still slow even with turbo" or something like that.
    ang tanga naman ng car mag na yan :twak:

actually turning the o/d on creates the exact OPPOSITE effect than having a turbo. since the gearing is taller in overdrive, medyo mas mahina ang hatak (of course correctable by stomping on the go pedal and making the a/t kick down to a lower gear).

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    If you can't go faster than 80 with the O/D off then it could be the gearing limit for your vehicle. What rpm is the engine running at 80 and what is your redline? If you step on the skinny pedal with the O/D on as long as you are not already running at redline it should still downshift if it's at the highest gear. You may feel more torque with it off because you are running at a lower gear. As far as the braking does your vehicle use hydro-boost assist or vacuum assist for braking? Maybe there isn't enough pressure.
    Red line is 5k, at 80kmh rpm is at 3K. With regards to braking po, not quite sure, vacuum assist perhaps? Hmm... if it is that bad, then xwind is really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    ang tanga naman ng car mag na yan :twak:
    Yup, and kaya di ko na chief binanggit ung pangalan eh.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    'di kaya nag fail temporarily yung vacuum ng hydroback assembly ng brake mo? kasi titigas talaga yung brake pedal kapag nawalan ng vacuum ang hydroback ass'y mo at saksakan ng hina ng brake tapak to the max talaga, though at one hand 'di dapat gano'n kabilis mawalan ng vacuum ang hydroback or maybe at some point nagkaro'n ng fault ang EBD pa check mo na sa kasa yan...

P.S.: 'di ba sa 2 fast 2 furious? 'di nakapreno ang skyline kasi na-static-gun yung auto? eh de-kuryente ang preno at naka EBD so 'di gumana ang EBD, 'di siya nakapreno...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
lost brakes for almost 10 seconds