New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I do whenever traveling back and forth between Tucson AZ and Reno NV. Like many here, I choose to stay at the middle lane, if possible, and set the cruise control to 75mph/120kph.
    When we went to Vegas, I noticed that people follow the rule too. But most often within the state highways, especially pag maraming tao, people take the leftmost lane and stay there. It's like the in-state highways are comparable to EDSA while the interstate highways are like the N/SLEX.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    minsan may ubod ng bagal sa leftmost lane eh 55 kph ang takbo niya. flash my headlight and honk my horn (nun deadma niya yun headlight ko) for him to let me pass eh ang tigas talaga so ako nalang nag pass sa kanya. eh medyo may toyo ako so i went infront of him ang slow down to his speed. hehehe ang loko siya naman ang nag headlight and bumusina. then a big road sign came "use leftmost lane for overtaking" ata. sabay turo ko sa kanya. then I sped off. nakita ko from the rear view mirror lumipat na siya sa middle lane. sa ko kay tess tignan mo yun bopols na yan di ata marunong magbasa, to which she replied, "hindi nag exit na siya sta. rita....ngek nag swerve papunta sa exit!!!! anyway, ingats na alng mga peeps. anticipation is the key. if you are gonna use the right lane for passing make sure the vehicle on your left knows what you are doing by flashing your headlights and honking your horn.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    When we went to Vegas, I noticed that people follow the rule too. But most often within the state highways, especially pag maraming tao, people take the leftmost lane and stay there. It's like the in-state highways are comparable to EDSA while the interstate highways are like the N/SLEX.
    In Nevada, most state highways are 2-lanes eg, Highway 50 towards Utah and Highway 95/395 from Las Vegas to Reno. Most people do the speed limit anyway. Those that want to speed go faster whenever the situation permits it and slow down to the speed limit when they close in to traffic up front.

But yep, I've done a lot of travel over I-5 and Highway 101 from LA to Grass Valley up north and Crescent City even farther north. It's true many drivers hog the left lane. But then, you California drivers are waco. I'm doing 80mph in the slow lane and the guy behind's still honking at me.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'm doing 80mph in the slow lane and the guy behind's still honking at me.
    You've experienced many tailgaters here in CA? Well, rest assured us Pinoys know better than to let them get the best of us. Then again, marami din gumagaya sa Pinoy style of driving

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    You've experienced many tailgaters here in CA? Well, rest assured us Pinoys know better than to let them get the best of us. Then again, marami din gumagaya sa Pinoy style of driving
    Of course. Normally we're just passing through after visiting relatives at San Diego and headed farther north to Vallejo where my wife has some "kumares". We try to keep the speed constant to save gas. Then we'll head east along I-80 back to Reno where I'm from and then head south along Highway 95 to Vegas where my wife's best "kumare" lives. Then we head back to Tucson....

Anyway, as for dealing with tailgaters, I just slow down to 70mph. That's enough for them to go ahead and pass me. So far, no one has given me the bird for going slow.

Add: the whole journey is spread out over 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; November 27th, 2006 at 11:03 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I obey the keep right rule at NLEX.

I have a question though: What if you're overtaking a long series of trucks or other vehicles (e.g. 6 vehicles) and it will take you approximately 10 seconds to overtake each vehicle. Do you

a) keep the left lane until you are through overtaking all vehicles, or
    b) move to the right lane after overtaking each vehicle and only return to the left lane when you are very close to the next vehicle you want to overtake?

I often stick with option "a," unless there is a much faster vehicle breathing down my tailpipe, in which case, I let it pass first before resuming my overtaking maneuver.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    yes. i always do. but under some circumstances, i'm being forced to go faster on the outermost lane because most motorists don't care to cruise on legal speed limit on the other inner lanes. imagine hogging the overtaking lane at 50 km/h wherein the minimum speed limit was 60 km/h?! also, at times, i'm forced to run beyond the maximum speed limit of 100 km/h because, some motorist even dare to race you while you are in the process of overtaking. d*mn it. but once i got ahead, i go the outer lane safely and back to the speed limit.

I have a question though: What if you're overtaking a long series of trucks or other vehicles (e.g. 6 vehicles) and it will take you approximately 10 seconds to overtake each vehicle. Do you

b) move to the right lane after overtaking each vehicle and only return to the left lane when you are very close to the next vehicle you want to overtake?

I often stick with option "a," unless there is a much faster vehicle breathing down my tailpipe, in which case, I let it pass first before resuming my overtaking maneuver.
    this remains to be relative on the situation. me, i'd choose the a) when the vehicles that i'm about to pass were tightly grouped. yet, i read somewhere that b) is the proper way to do it. all and still it is relative to the situation at hand and your discretion.
    Last edited by ian_rex; November 27th, 2006 at 11:16 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    All the time!

The people who don't should be shot on the spot for being selfish aholes. Same with those using the shoulder.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey177 View Post

I'd stick with option A as well, unless of course I'd have to give in to someone behind me who's a lot faster, and who can't wait for me to get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    All the time!

The people who don't should be shot on the spot for being selfish aholes. Same with those using the shoulder.
    I think the use of the shoulder is because of those selfish aholes on the passing and 2nd lanes. Not to condone those passing on the shoulder, of course. If the passing lane were really observed, then there would be no reason to look for a faster lane (i.e. the shoulder).

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    I stay sa lane na walang sasakyan.

This means I only stay sa right lane, but walang sasakyan sa right lane.

Madalas kasi walang sasakyan sa left lane eh.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Keep Right except to Overtake - Do you obey this?