New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    okay so how does it work guys?

this has actually happened this week. a guy calls and says he has a buyer for a car. he asks for a 50k finders fee. now he claims that he will not get anything from the buyer. then you find out that the buyer is trying to haggle since he claims he will have to give 50k to the agent.

now since the agent wasnt quite up-front how does this work? he also stated to both parties that he is not getting anything from the other side.

what are the standard rates to date?

your thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

this has actually happened this week. a guy calls and says he has a buyer for a car. he asks for a 50k finders fee. now he claims that he will not get anything from the buyer. then you find out that the buyer is trying to haggle since he claims he will have to give 50k to the agent.

now since the agent wasnt quite up-front how does this work? he also stated to both parties that he is not getting anything from the other side.

your thoughts?

ang taas naman nung finder's fee nya, singkwenta mil....
    magkano ba yung value nung car na binebenta mo?
    normally, pag ganyan, binibigyan ko lang ng 5-10k yung nag-refer.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005

your thoughts?

Forget muna the amount involved.

Just think about what his effort brings to the buyer para ma-justify na meron sya kikitain sa buyer.

If im looking for a specific brand and model of car and i dont have the time to look, i ask an agent to do it for me so he IS doing me a favor. So when he finally finds what im looking for and humingi sya sakin ng pang for-the-boys, i'd be willing to give him coz of his effort.

Dun sa seller part, SOP naman talaga ung commission so there's really nothing to talk about.

What's bothering u is that the agent is making money not only from u, the seller. He is also making money from the buyer.

I dont see why u should be bothered by that coz if the buyer gives the agent something, business na nila yun.

Ang importante sau mabenta mo ung car mo sa presyo na gusto mo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thats why i don't Entertain "Middleman"

Most of them can be a real pain.

One time one month nang nabenta yung kotse, may nagdoorbell na middleman he claims siya yung nag refeer noong buyer at nanghihingi ng 10k, at mag susumbong daw sa kakilalang pulis kung hindi ibibigay. Baliw talaga!!
    (Eh di magsumbong ka! Extortion yan!)

Dami dito sa Cavite na ganyan mga Middleman kuno, Mga Istambay na jobless. na nagbabakasakali.
    Ok lang sana middleman pero dito sa Cavite sa experience ko parang mga Linta.

From what I 've seen yung mga namumuhunan sa second hand car business ang nagnenecourage nitong mga ganitong klaseng midlleman. Mga alalay na nagpapangap na Direct buyer.

Puno talaga ng Basura ang Motoring dito sa Pinas hehehehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    normal MO po yan ng ahente ng second hand auto. the best is magmiting kayong tatlo and agree on a compromise. without the ahente you won't find the buyer and vise-versa....afaik nagtrabaho pa rin siya (ahente)....so ang issue is how much does he get as his take.

pasensya na ahente ako...so kakampi ako sa ahente. To the determine what is the fair deal (commission) is up to the three of you.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Forget muna the amount involved.

Just think about what his effort brings to the buyer para ma-justify na meron sya kikitain sa buyer.

If im looking for a specific brand and model of car and i dont have the time to look, i ask an agent to do it for me so he IS doing me a favor. So when he finally finds what im looking for and humingi sya sakin ng pang for-the-boys, i'd be willing to give him coz of his effort.

Dun sa seller part, SOP naman talaga ung commission so there's really nothing to talk about.

What's bothering u is that the agent is making money not only from u, the seller. He is also making money from the buyer.

I dont see why u should be bothered by that coz if the buyer gives the agent something, business na nila yun.

Ang importante sau mabenta mo ung car mo sa presyo na gusto mo.
    Hope you dont mind but do you do agent work as well? How many commissions are necessary? and I mentioned that he claimed he is not getting from the buyer. yet now the buyer says he is getting there and as a consequence is haggling for a lower price.

I didnt ask the agent to sell since the car is already advertised.

Just wondering if it is common practice? also to mis declare prices so the agent can benefit from both sides?

personally i find it greedy. also, how much effort is it on the part of the agent? I have seen some that will go to far corners for a car and ask for less.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005

Hope you dont mind but do you do agent work as well? How many commissions are necessary? and I mentioned that he claimed he is not getting from the buyer. yet now the buyer says he is getting there and as a consequence is haggling for a lower price.

Just wondering if it is common practice? also to mis declare prices so the agent can benefit from both sides?

personally i find it greedy. also, how much effort is it on the part of the agent? I have seen some that will go to far corners for a car and ask for less.
    No im not an agent but in my line of work i have to deal with agents.

Syempre the agent will say wala sya kikitain sa buyer. Pag sinabi nya meron sya kikitain sa buyer, u can say to him "kikita ka na pala sa buyer e, wag ka nalang mag commission sa akin"

Same thing sa buyer, syempre sasabihin ng agent sa buyer "hindi naman ako bibigyan ng commission ng may ari ng oto, bigyan mo nalang ako ng for-the-boys para sa pagod ko"

So always assume the agent is making money from both sides.

The amount depends on the price of the car.

Kung maliit lang ung price ng car, usually 5-10T para sa agent.

Pag million/s ang price ng car, usually mas malaki ang amount na hihingi ng agent.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

that is why bro that we are asking for the price value of the car being sold. if the car value is really small (let's say 300k below), then i think it is fair to give him some gratuity even though your car is sold via advertisement.

i think it is fair enough because he is the one who is looking for a buyer, pero hanggang dun lang kasi yung effort nya.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    No im not an agent but in my line of work i have to deal with agents.

Syempre the agent will say wala sya kikitain sa buyer. Pag sinabi nya meron sya kikitain sa buyer, u can say to him "kikita ka na pala sa buyer e, wag ka nalang mag commission sa akin"

Same thing sa buyer, syempre sasabihin ng agent sa buyer "hindi naman ako bibigyan ng commission ng may ari ng oto, bigyan mo nalang ako ng for-the-boys para sa pagod ko"

So always assume the agent is making money from both sides.

The amount depends on the price of the car.

Kung maliit lang ung price ng car, usually 5-10T para sa agent.

Pag million/s ang price ng car, usually mas malaki ang amount na hihingi ng agent.
    if the car for example is only 700k. isnt 100k too high for a commission?

also is it correct to lie to get more? is that fair? just a question.

is it wrong to be transparent? and be compensated fairly? because in the end it could actually stand in the way of a deal or even ruin reputations.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if the car for example is only 700k. isnt 100k too high for a commission?

also is it correct to lie to get more? is that fair? just a question.

is it wrong to be transparent? and be compensated fairly? because in the end it could actually stand in the way of a deal or even ruin reputations.

i think it is.... i think giving him 10% max is way to enough, but of course you can still lower it depending on your negotiations. probably the least you can give him is around 25-30k.

just thought about this now. since you are selling the car via direct selling/advertisement, and his services were asked by the buyer, why not coordinate with your buyer to talk with the agent so that he can give the commission from his end. after all, it is the buyer who got the agent's services, not you. at your end, be firm on the final asking/selling price. kung 600k mo binebenta, dapat 600k ang nasa iyo, because of the thing that i've stated above. and the commissions or finder's fee will have to be shouldered by the buyer dahil sya ang nag-avail ng services nung agent. i think this is fair enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is this how car agents really work?