New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My uncle's Pontiac GTO was stolen in Boston but was recovered by the cops in less than two hours.

Reason for the quick recovery: the car is equipped with the OnStar tracking system which enabled the police to pinpoint the location of the vehicle.

Is there a possibility for local cars to be equipped with a similar system?

I think its effective to recover cars lost to carjackings and carnappings.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    afaik some gen2.5 pajeros had the GPS tracking option as extra. i think some 2003 models. later on they used SMS tracking which was cheaper.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i believe mart has a SIM-based service. the vehicle will be equipped with some sort of unit (parang cellphone, i guess). then you can use the location function through text. primary difference is that it isn't GPS-based (ata), so kung malayo yung sasakyan sa smart cellsite, baka hindi ma-locate. binebenta ata nila dati sa mga companies na maraming delivery vehicles like UPS, FEDEX, etc. not sure if they still sell these though.

yung sa US, talagang security service yan, na tied in with the police system. parang yung mga home security systems.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ahhh, yung whois na service ng smart? triangulation pa rin naman siya so maghahanap pa rin ng matagal, hehehehee. and true, if walang cellsite near, di makikita yan at the moment of request and they won't keep attempting to track where it'll show up next unless you request at nataon a cellsite can find the number na.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    globe meron din tracker feature, pero madalas mali ang nai-rereport na location. buti hindi ako inaway ni esmi nung iba yung lumabas na location ko sa cellphone nya. track nya rin kasi sarili nya and mali din binigay na location.

iba pa rin ang true GPS, coordinates talaga ang binibigay and real time pa, alam mo kung in motion yung car or nakahinto. sa sms based tracker kasi, basta't within range ka pa nung isang cellsite, kahit gumagalaw yung car, same location pa rin ang binibigay.

baka ma-hijack nanaman itong thread na ito ng mga nagbebenta ng kung anu anong gadget dyan, be ALERT!
    Signature

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sabagay. pero civilian GPS i believe has an error of about 100m. :D

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    sabagay. pero civilian GPS i believe has an error of about 100m. :D
    That was before the US DoD removed Selective Availability ... intentional degredation in the accuracy of civilian GPS receivers. Typical accuracy today is 10 to 20 meters.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ahhh okay. di na pala ako updated. hehehe!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They had to do that, after the big scandal wherein an airliner was shot at (shot down?) in Chinese airspace, when its GPS receiver kept telling it that it was not even close...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi
    baka ma-hijack nanaman itong thread na ito ng mga nagbebenta ng kung anu anong gadget dyan, be ALERT!
    BOYBI "TEXT" everyone naman to "ALERT" them kung someone is trying to hijack this thread!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
GPS tracking system