I've been pondering on this for the last few weeks: Do people generally discriminate against old cars?

We have a bone-stock B13 1.4L Nissan Sentra in our garage which my family bought brand new way back in 1993 and never sold since it has been quite handy as an extra car. We get more utility in keeping it rather than selling it since its cheap to maintain, everyone learned to drive in it, we use it to the market, when we go to "alanganin" places, for quick trips to the grocery, etc. Its still has all its original paint with a couple of dents but the body is generally still straight and clean. Its not an eyesore really and still runs strong and quiet (mileage is at 114K kms).

I still like driving it due to its easy handling and the unassuming character it has so i started taking it to the office once or twice a week, since it has been left at my garage to be cared for. I noticed though that the following happens to me more often when i drive this old car:
1. Other cars (especially SUVs) tend to tailgate me more often (although i still drive at the same pace).
2. When i fetch my wife at the Ayala Ave. passenger pick-up points after work, the traffic guards signal me to get moving almost immediately (with other cars, they don't even mind me and even assist my wife as she boards the car at times).
3. More idiots speed up and give me the headlight flash when i signal to properly switch lanes.
4. Passers-by give it a strange second look at the office when its parked next to all the car-planned Monty Sports, Camrys, Accords, Civics, CR-Vs, Corolla Altises and Fortuners at middle/senior management parking lot. (seeing this also makes one easily realize how cars have really grown in size/dimension over the last two decades)

I could also swear the valet at Shangri-La Makati must have breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing i wasn't going to have the car valet parked when i went there for a lunch meeting.

When i drive this car, it makes me realize how superficial some people can become because of what they drive and not who they are.