New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    I would like to post this to our fellow tsikoteers. Outdated na kasi yung sticky thread sa una at medyo hindi comprehensive yung details regarding the rules of MMDA. I checked their site kanina and this very informative FAQ's which can be used if being apprehended by MMDA. Mas maganda kung i-print nyo ito and always carry in your car just in case na kinakailangang ipakita to prove that you are not violating the traffic rules. Metrobase number has been changed as well. It's kinda long read but very informative and useful. Cheers!

Frequently Asked Questions

10 Things That Drivers Should Know (Updated May 25, 2011)

1. MMDA Enforcers are not allowed to group together while apprehending a motorist. They are not even allowed to stand together in groups of two (2) or more, except in actual times of special operations (e.g. apprehending groups of smoke-belching/colorum buses).

2. Swerving is not a traffic violation per se. It is defined as a movement wherein vehicles shift from a lane to another. However, it can constitute the offense of reckless driving if it is done without precautions (e.g. swerving in an abrupt and careless manner, swerving without the use of signals, swerving across solid lines).

Swerving can also constitute the offense of Disregarding Traffic Signs if there are signs present that explicitly prohibit swerving in the area.

3. A driver's license cannot be confiscated by a Traffic Enforcer during traffic apprehensions except on the following situations:
    1. The driver was involved in a traffic accident
    2.The driver has accumulated three (3) or more unsettled violations
    3. The driver has been apprehended for the following violations:

.Allowing another person to use driver's license
    .Broken sealing wire
    .Broken Taximeter seal
    .Colorum operation (cargo/passenger vehicle)
    .Driving against traffic
    .Fake driver's license
    .Fake/altered taximeter seal
    .Fake/altered sealing wire
    .Fast/defective/non-operational/tampered taxi meter
    .Flagged up meter
    .Illegal or unauthorized counter-flow
    .Illegal transfer of plates/tags/stickers
    .Joined/reconnected sealing wire
    .No driver's ID
    .Ignoring Organized Bus Route (OBR) interval timers (for 2nd offense)
    .Skipping or bypassing designated OBR terminals or loading bays (for 2nd offense)
    .Operating on contractual basis
    .Out of line operation
    .Overcharging (with or without conductor) (for the 2nd offense)
    .Overspeeding
    .Refusal to convey passengers to destination/trip-cutting (Taxis and Public Utility Vehicles)
    .Refusal to render service to public (Taxis and Public Utility Vehicles)
    .Tampered sealing wire
    .Tampered taximeter seal
    .Tampering of OR/CR/CPC & other documents (spurious documents)
    .Undue preference/unjust discrimination
    .Using motor vehicle in commission of crime
    The above-mentioned administrative violations also require a minimum of 2 hours seminar (for the drivers) at the Traffic Academy.

However, any driver who has committed three (3) or more unpaid violations, whether administrative or moving, shall also be subject to attending seminars, whose length shall be based on the results of the diagnostic exam (exam that will determine the contents of the seminar progress), which will be administered by the Agency.

If the license is to be confiscated, the Traffic Enforcer should inform the driver of the reason/s for the confiscation and the ticket validity.

If the driver refuses to surrender his driver's license, his plate may be detached pursuant to Section 74 & 75, MC 89-105.

4. Private Vehicles are not allowed to use the yellow lane except when they are about to turn - provided that they start shifting lanes upon seeing the transition lane (broken white lines painted diagonally), that you can see around 50 meters away from an intersection. However, selective apprehension of private vehicles using the yellow lane is highly prohibited.
    The yellow lanes (1st and 2nd lanes in EDSA) are only for City Buses. City Buses are not allowed to go beyond the yellow lanes. If they do so, they will be apprehended for violating the yellow lane policy.
    Provincial buses are also not allowed to use the yellow lane. Instead, they are encouraged to use the third lane.
    5. Each Traffic Enforcer has his/her own written mission order issued by the MMDA Central Admin. Apprehended drivers are free to ask for the apprehending officer's mission order, which includes his area of responsibility, time of duty, official function. It also indicates whether or not the enforcer is authorized to issue tickets.
    6. Traffic Enforcers should issue TVR in complete uniform, with visible nameplates. Traffic Enforcers are instructed to accomplish the TVR (Traffic Violation Receipt) without any delay or argument on the road, so as to avoid traffic congestion.
    7. The Apprehending Enforcer is allowed to issue another TVR for Towing Fee. If the owner of the impounded vehicle fails to release his vehicle after payment of fine in the stipulated date, the impounding officer shall issue a separate TVR indicating no. of days it has remained at the impounding area.
    8. Before apprehending, the Traffic Enforcer should flag down the vehicle and lead it to the roadside where it will not obstruct the flow of traffic. Traffic Enforcers should courteously inform the driver of his violation.
    9. Traffic Enforcers are not allowed to ask drivers to alight from their vehicles while the apprehension is taking place. Most importantly, Traffic Enforcers are not allowed to ask or receive bribe money.
    During traffic apprehensions, the following can be considered as a valid driver's license:
    .ID Plastic Card
    .DLR / Temporary Driver's License
    .TOP (Temporary Operator's Permit)
    .International Driver's License
    .Foreign License
    10. The Traffic Enforcer should exercise extra diligence in verifying the veracity of the data or documents presented.

If you encounter any Traffic Enforcer violating any of these, get the name of the Traffic Enforcer indicated on his/her name plate, and submit a letter of complaint addressed to the Traffic Adjudication Board (TAB), MMDA Bldg. EDSA cor. Orense St. Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City, within 5 days after the apprehension.

In case you are involved in an argument with a Traffic Enforcer, call the MMDA Hotline 136, or the Metrobase at 0917-527-7304. Ask the Metrobase to send inspectors to go to the place where the argument is taking place for proper investigation.

You may also e-mail complaints against erring Traffic Enforcers to the MMDA thru email*mmda.gov.ph. Include full details of the incident (attach photos or videos if possible), so that they will be able to act promptly on the matter.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Makati and Pasay enforcers do not follow these rules.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Pati Manila, Muntinlupa at Las Piñas para sa MMDA lang ata talaga yan.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The local government units feel they have better rules than the national goverment which is why they all enforce their own set of rules. If you ask me, this has just led to corruption since there is practically no one who would know each and every possible violation out there. It's high time that someone put their foot down and straighten these LGU's out so we only have one set of traffic laws.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    The local government units feel they have better rules than the national goverment which is why they all enforce their own set of rules. If you ask me, this has just led to corruption since there is practically no one who would know each and every possible violation out there. It's high time that someone put their foot down and straighten these LGU's out so we only have one set of traffic laws.
    Ito rin gripe ko. May national law na eh, dapat sumunod na lang mga LGU's. Panggulo lang sila eh. Dami tuloy nga ang nakokotungan.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    If they are not following the posted MMDA Rules, then what are rules then? There should be standarzation of traffic rules and regulation in our country so all drivers knows where they stand. In that case, maiiwasan or mabasawan man lang ang kotongan if all drivers are aware of the set rules.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Walang batas-batas sa gutom at buwayang kotong enforcer. Madalas akong nagagatasan ng mga hayop na yan.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1005 View Post
    Walang batas-batas sa gutom at buwayang kotong enforcer. Madalas akong nagagatasan ng mga hayop na yan.
    yesterday a mapsa ganag followed my vehicle along makati manila boundary border(without me knowing and still in makati's jurisdiction) they knocked on my window and told me that i passed a red light... i was so furious since for fact i know i didn't.

sabi ko mga p ina ninyo then i pointed out sa dvr cam ng auto, sabi ko 5 camera ng auto ko including sides pag yan nireview natin at walang violation ipapakulong ko kayo ano tatawag na ba ako ng swat andiyan lang prisinto malapit lang mga p.i. kayo barilin ko kayo.... mga hayop talaga i already pointed that out to the binay monarchy yet they turn a blind eye... samantalang ilang tao na napatay sa salcedo due to forcenapping and other simillar rich street in makati, doon wala silang malagay na tao and cctv- and you dont hear or see that in the news mas pinapakita pa nila mga bata natrap sa china or china **** news
    Last edited by victorevolution; July 1st, 2014 at 02:57 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Hindi ba puwedeng i-implement 'din 'to sa mga local cities ng NCR? Para hindi kung anu anong rules, different city, different rules, wala sa ayos.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Dapat talaga may standardization of rules na hindi lang for MMDA kundi nationwide. Dahil kung ibat- iba ang rules ng bawat LGU's and no one knows what are the rules are, kotong cops or traffic enforcers will apprehend any driver if they want to and say something they want. Kaya, dumarami masyado ang mga buwaya sa kalsada dahil dyan.