New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hello there fellow Tsikoteers! We all have reasons for letting go of our cars. For example to upgrade, downgrade, or for emergency purposes etc.

When do you say its time to let go of your ride? Do you consider a certain amout of years before you change cars?

Would you mind sharing this with us?
    Last edited by LadyRider; January 27th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    All I notice is that a lot of people sell their cars after they have fully paid up vehicle..Around 4 to 5 years.
    And for the owner's point of view..depreciation starts to diminishes while maintenance costs increase at 5 years age. FWIW.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    I should say, when my cars are in acute and maintenance is too high to keep, I'll get rid of it.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    hmmm, i think when you are no longer happy with the car.when i say 'not happy" does not mean that the car is unrepairable na

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I keep my cars for as long as possible unless something happens which requires me to sell them. Of course it's always better when they have been paid completely with no more monthly payments. Personally I don't think selling a car just because it's 4-5 years old is particularly wise(specially when you have just paid it off) as you take the brunt of the depreciation in the first 2 years of ownership. Whatever you save in monthly payments can always be set aside for maintenance rather than starting a new debt.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyRider View Post
    Hello there fellow Tsikoteers! We all have reasons for letting go of our cars. For example to upgrade, downgrade, or for emergency purposes etc.

When do you say its time to let go of your ride? Do you consider a certain amout of years before you change cars?

Would you mind sharing this with us?
    Uy mam I smell an upgrade!

Ako I will be keeping my first dilapidated car for as long as parts are available. It would be too impractical to change ones' car after the long amortization unless you have money to burn. That's a lot of money in a five year period even if you paid it in cash.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    hhmm.. Ive had about 15 cars in the span of 10 years. and I usually have 2-3 cars in hand (kailangan may pang porma, karera at pang back-up!) but I did sell a few of my cars due to some financial troubles (only twice) then the rest I sold coz some kids wants to buy my car (and they end up paying alot! lolz!) and a couple of cars I sold so that I can fund / upgrade my other car. and the others.. well, I just junk 'em. kasi nag sawa na..

aite, peace.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think when you have the money to replace your old car

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    when maintenance is a headache and my brother approves a new vehicle purchase c/o the corporation

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Buying a car is almost always an emotional thing.

Letting it go is usually a rational thing.

Personally - I've already had my car for 4 years and I'm keeping it. We got a wagon in 2005 supposedly to restore, but it was too much work and we wanted something more fresh and more reliable, so we sold it and got a newer wagon. Incidentally the market was filled with wagons of the model we were looking for. I don't think we'll be selling that wagon anytime soon because it has served us well, but if we do it'll be a similar one with less miles and in much better shape. As for my car, it'll keep on chugging still

Like I said, keep it for emotional reasons, and sell it for rational ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
When to let go...