New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hi guys!

I own a 2000 civic lxi and the owner of the shop where i frequently go for repairs and maintenance is offering me to do a head swap for my ph15 engine. He is recommending to swap with a ph16 vtec head and says it will be comparable with the performance of a jdm d15b engine. I doubt this is true cos I know for a fact that a d15b has 130hp against a ph16 which has only 127hp (based on brochures). Now my question is: If i push through with the head swap, will it have any significant increase in the engine performance? What will be the pros and cons of this modification?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions/recommendations/comments to this matter.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Head swap lang ba? Should be some gains, but I don't know if you'll get the full performance of either the D15B or the PH16... that would depend entirely on whether the compression ratio of the D15B and the regualr D15 in your car are the same.

Con... you're not sure that this will make that much more power... and the condition of the head you're swapping on (is it straight? is the valvetrain still good?) is an unknown... but most mechanics will give a warranty on the job and the head...

Pro... it will make more power, it's a relatively painless job.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    it will help your engine make more power bcoz the vtec head will allow it to rev higher . pro carb ang lxi di ba? sir niky, gagana p rin b yng vtec kng wlang vtec ecu?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by blue1108 View Post
    it will help your engine make more power bcoz the vtec head will allow it to rev higher . pro carb ang lxi di ba? sir niky, gagana p rin b yng vtec kng wlang vtec ecu?
    No, the LXi is injected already. Well, it's not just the VTEC head you'll need, but also the ECU. The overall cost of conversion will likely not yield the performance you'd want anyway, so you're better off with a legit VTi. You can also go for a real D15B VTEC if for some reason you'd like to keep the displacement within 1500cc.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    No, the LXi is injected already. Well, it's not just the VTEC head you'll need, but also the ECU. The overall cost of conversion will likely not yield the performance you'd want anyway, so you're better off with a legit VTi. You can also go for a real D15B VTEC if for some reason you'd like to keep the displacement within 1500cc.
    ditto..and I think you need to wire the vtec solenoid as well and yeah the ecu. i almost got a jdm d15b vtec to swap in my car but I ended up keeping my d16z6

vtec head swap