New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    honestly for me, there are some local motoring journalist who are still not at par with their foreign counterparts. Those who i have obseved that have obvious biases over some more popular brands. but im not saying that foreign auto writers arent bias, sometimes i feel that they are like that too.

but if im a motoring scribe, i dont need to even care if im at par with those europeans nor americans...i dont think there is any mandate that says that they are the BENCHMARK anyway... so, ill just do my job properly & transparently.

Here's an example... watch motoring today, check out their "review" segment, I don't see them pointing out any negatives, only positives. Almost every car that comes out of the manufacturing lot has its negatives, and its all about compromise for us.... the buying public, and thats the reason we read car magazines/articles to get lowdown, the good points and bad points be it handling, fuel consumption, acceleration, interior, ecetera ecetera.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The problem maybe is that, there's a conflict of interest.

These so called "journalists" are often sponsored by motor companies. Of course, these people would want their "benefits or perks" to stay, clouding their delivery of judgements. For them to give a better opinion, they should refrain from accepting sponsorships/support from car brands.

I've tried reading local car reviews and it's far from being objective. Usually, you'd sense that they're all praises over something so insignificant then downplay the bad points (if ever they point out some). Then when you get to see or buy the car, you get that big slam that it's not a small issue at all.

I'm glad i've joined this forum, even though it was down for the past days (i kinda missed it, this is actually my homepage). Here, you'll see all sorts of raw information straight from the horse's mouth. Then, it's all for you to judge.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have a very good friend who's into car reviews as a hobby more than anything else really-he once got a lot of heat for making a bad review about a certain tri-star japanese brand and they banned him from testing their vehicles for the better part of a year. He says there are two main reasons why motoring journalists don't put down anything bad, especially in the dailies.

1. The said manufacturer WILL pull out all current ads for their brand if they do.
    2. No future ads for an indefinite period of time.

Since ads are the lifeblood of newspapers and at the end of the day the journalists do still work for the daily, they cannot do anything that will jeopardize their source of income or risk getting axed.

eto pa malaking factor:
    Mahirap kasi baka mabugbog e! hehehehe

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Sometimes I wonder why motoring journalists don't just tell things as they are. They probaly have their own interests to protect (the free outings, access to test units, advertisers, etc.).
    Unfortunately they do. A lot of journalists have to protect the interests of theitr sponsors and padrinos. This situ is not limited to the Philippines - it's a global "phenomenon", even in the migthy US of A.

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    That's why I prefer to read the reviews here at Tsikot. Real world, real time, unbiased. Sometimes to the point of striking the sensitive nerves of local manufacturers (hi, Isuzu!).

The way some local journalists write makes every car seem like a gift from heaven!
    Ditto.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    tv automotive shows such as auto focus and motoring today are pure crap, well sa review section lang hehe

Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon
    Unfortunately they do. A lot of journalists have to protect the interests of theitr sponsors and padrinos. This situ is not limited to the Philippines - it's a global "phenomenon", even in the migthy US of A.
    Unfortunately this is the harsh reality of motoring journalism, with regards to the letter... well its hard to be like Jeremy Clarkson if you don't have a backer like BBC.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's why whenever I read a local car review, I always read it with a pinch of reality on the side.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    Unfortunately this is the harsh reality of motoring journalism, with regards to the letter... well its hard to be like Jeremy Clarkson if you don't have a backer like BBC.
    You'll also need to have a writing style that can get away with anything. So long as you got the public/mob on your side you'll win any arguement in the court of public opinion.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    I have a very good friend who's into car reviews as a hobby more than anything else really-he once got a lot of heat for making a bad review about a certain tri-star japanese brand and they banned him from testing their vehicles for the better part of a year. He says there are two main reasons why motoring journalists don't put down anything bad, especially in the dailies.

1. The said manufacturer WILL pull out all current ads for their brand if they do.
    2. No future ads for an indefinite period of time.

Since ads are the lifeblood of newspapers and at the end of the day the journalists do still work for the daily, they cannot do anything that will jeopardize their source of income or risk getting axed.

eto pa malaking factor:
    Mahirap kasi baka mabugbog e! hehehehe
    You make it out as if they're "mukang pera". ;) Then again you can't feed the family with "integrity" these days. Doesnt make as much money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
PhilStar's Class over Crass