New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i've been driving manual transmission cars since natuto ako mag-drive (from personal car, company's vehicle, friend's car, etc.) I know darating ang time makakapag-drive ako automatic transmission so as early as now magtatanong na po ako. Ano ibig sabihin at use nung mga letters na nasa stick? P,D,R,N,D1 & D2..tama ba?, though yung iba alam ko na like R is for reverse, atbp. Is there any special tip in driving matic... for example, stopping in an uphill sang mode nakalagay ang stick? D or N or P? sa manual timpla mo lang clutch at gas di ba? things like that.

Thanks..... :wink:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    P - park. parang additional handbrake yan.
    D - drive. rekta
    R - reverse
    N - neutral. walang gear lock yan.
    D1 - drive 1, pangmatarik
    D2 - drive 2, pang mas matarik.

special tip, when going stop and go sa traffic, always put the gear in neutral. mas matipid sa gas.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks pare... i appreciate your reply,

so kung nakahinto ako in an inclined position..nasa D1 ako at nakatapak lang sa brake? tama ba?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    on all matics P,D,R,N are normal parts.. it differs on the forward gears...

if teh number has a D(X) beside it it means it shifts to all the gears up to the number indicated. (D4 - all four gears, D3 - up to 3rd gear only, D2 - 1st and 2nd gear)

if the markings only say "2" like in most honda cars, it means it is locked in 2nd gear.. no shifting whatsoever... this is appropriate for standing starts for roads that are slippery and you dont want your car slipping.

1, L - are 1st gear settings for heavy inclines.

S - Sometimes considered as sports gear (in MBs), Slope Gear in Jap cars
    - for MBs this is teh same as teh D3
    - for jap cars.. ewan.. eheh. i think low gearing to eh...

hmm.. what else? .. OD button? Overdrive and ibig sabihin.. usually with OD of you shift only up to the third gear (if its a 4matic car). With OD on, the car has teh extra fourth gear to shift in.. less fuel consumption, less stress for the engine. Used mostly on travels wherein gear hunting happens.. not enough speed to carry it in 4th gear, but too fast for 3rd... kung baga alanganin.. instead of your tranny shifting back and forth, might as well put it in OD off.

on stops (short stops) keep it in D or Drive. On long traffic gnarling stops.. put it in neutral, minimal but still savings on gas plus less stress on your tranny, engine and brake system.

Never engage to P when on an incline without making sure first that your car wont be rolling anymore by engaging teh Parking brakes. Engage parking brakes first. Release brake pedal. When the car is in complete static position only then you should engage in P. The P has a pin mechanism (very small easily broken by a suddent movement on the car) that locks the gears.

Hmmm. ano pa ba?... Dont disengage to Neutral when travelling (one delikado) because you loose the hydraulic pressure in the tranny when rolling in neutral. Something i cant explain completely.. basta something with the ATF fluid not going around the tranny. That's why A/Ts are not meant to be towed or push started.

one last.. dont shift from D straight to R or vice versa while the car is still in motion the opposite way... sira ang mga ngipin ng gears mo nyan.....

*baka may mali po akong nasabi... i'm open for corrections.. these are all from either experience, internet and talking to some mechanics. Baka may mali lang ako sa pagkakaintindi habang nakikinig ako o nagbabasa.. eheheh

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by HBOY
    on all matics P,D,R,N are normal parts.. it differs on the forward gears...

if teh number has a D(X) beside it it means it shifts to all the gears up to the number indicated. (D4 - all four gears, D3 - up to 3rd gear only, D2 - 1st and 2nd gear)

if the markings only say "2" like in most honda cars, it means it is locked in 2nd gear.. no shifting whatsoever... this is appropriate for standing starts for roads that are slippery and you dont want your car slipping.

1, L - are 1st gear settings for heavy inclines.

S - Sometimes considered as sports gear (in MBs), Slope Gear in Jap cars
    - for MBs this is teh same as teh D3
    - for jap cars.. ewan.. eheh. i think low gearing to eh...

hmm.. what else? .. OD button? Overdrive and ibig sabihin.. usually with OD of you shift only up to the third gear (if its a 4matic car). With OD on, the car has teh extra fourth gear to shift in.. less fuel consumption, less stress for the engine. Used mostly on travels wherein gear hunting happens.. not enough speed to carry it in 4th gear, but too fast for 3rd... kung baga alanganin.. instead of your tranny shifting back and forth, might as well put it in OD off.

on stops (short stops) keep it in D or Drive. On long traffic gnarling stops.. put it in neutral, minimal but still savings on gas plus less stress on your tranny, engine and brake system.

Never engage to P when on an incline without making sure first that your car wont be rolling anymore by engaging teh Parking brakes. Engage parking brakes first. Release brake pedal. When the car is in complete static position only then you should engage in P. The P has a pin mechanism (very small easily broken by a suddent movement on the car) that locks the gears.

Hmmm. ano pa ba?... Dont disengage to Neutral when travelling (one delikado) because you loose the hydraulic pressure in the tranny when rolling in neutral. Something i cant explain completely.. basta something with the ATF fluid not going around the tranny. That's why A/Ts are not meant to be towed or push started.

one last.. dont shift from D straight to R or vice versa while the car is still in motion the opposite way... sira ang mga ngipin ng gears mo nyan.....

*baka may mali po akong nasabi... i'm open for corrections.. these are all from either experience, internet and talking to some mechanics. Baka may mali lang ako sa pagkakaintindi habang nakikinig ako o nagbabasa.. eheheh
    Dude that was very informative and I really appreciate it. I have another question:

When I drive I usually use only D, P, N and OD. I don't usually use L and 2. Masama ba sa tranny when you go up inclines na naka D lang? Pag going down an incline what do I use to relieve the pressure on the brakes?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm.. on uphills.. if at D nde hirap ang makina mo sa pagakyat... ok pa yan.... unless na kinakapos ka na.. then you have to "shift" down by putting it in on L. Pero kasi sa Matic usually.. pag hirap.. magdadownshift din sya magisa eh...

on downhill grades.. to release pressure on brakes... OD off (para hanggang 3rd gear lang at nde ka sumibat).. kung masyado pa rin mabilis ang pagbaba if you release the brakes.... help your brakes by slowing down.. and engaging the tranny to 2 so that it is using engine braking... at least dalawa na yung naghohold sa kotse mo from speeding downhill...

actually pareho lang ng manual tranny.. engage to the lowest gear you could so that you would avoid overspeeding on downhills....keep the car in a controlled speed... never go downhill on speeds you cannot control.. avoid too many brakings as this will overheat your brake fluid and pads.. which will make you loose braking power.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore
    special tip, when going stop and go sa traffic, always put the gear in neutral. mas matipid sa gas.
    hindi ba masama to or something kasi shift ka ng shift from D to N tapos N to D tapos D to N... you surely know how our traffic situation is here in the metro... :roll:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pagdating sa bitinan sa uphill ok na ok ang matic. naka D ka lang nothing to worry na aatras ka... kahit di mo tapakan ang break mo. yung nga lang nasa tranny mo lahat ang weight ng sasakyan. hindi pwedeng matagalan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OiC65,

Although pare pareho ang generalities surrounding A/T's, you still have to learn the specifics of the make/model you are driving.

Kagaya nga ng sabi ni HBoy, iba ang designation ng gears sa Benz (PRNDSL) as opposed to most Japanese cars (PRND21 with O/D button pa).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo
    pagdating sa bitinan sa uphill ok na ok ang matic. naka D ka lang nothing to worry na aatras ka... kahit di mo tapakan ang break mo. yung nga lang nasa tranny mo lahat ang weight ng sasakyan. hindi pwedeng matagalan.
    ito ang pinakagusto ko sa matic, no problem sa bitinan sa mga tulay ngayon ko lang na laman na masama pala yung matagal kang naka bitin na naka D.

pajero matic inakyat ko ng baguio (bago nacarnap) naka D2, pababa naka D2 rin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
matic question