New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just saw this in SG recently and it's a fine car for the price... A Vios/City/Aveo competitor mainly. Starting roughly at 570K to 700K top-end, inclusive of Malaysian road tax and comprehensive insurance.

[SIZE=1]1.6 Base Line Model - 2 variants (AT and MT).
    This variant is a Base model with 4 power windows, CD player and basic features.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]1.6 Medium Line Model - 2 variants (AT and MT).
    This variant is the Medium range model and has additional features from the Base Line variant, such as driver's airbag, alloy rims, foldable rear seats, MP3 player and electric door mirror.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]1.6 High Line Model – (Only available in AT).
    This variant is an extension of the Medium range variant, with features such as dual airbags, ABS, EBD and standard Captor alarm.[/SIZE]

(images from paultan.org)

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Protons are decent cars, rode in a few last time I was in KL. The thing is, the main reason there are so many on the road there is because everything that isn't a Proton or Perodua has some extra tax slapped on it, making them much more expensive. I think a Jazz is roughly Php1M over there, versus 600-700k for a Proton Gen.2 (not so sure about the exact value of these prices, but they're somewhere around that area)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The new Persona is the sedan version of the Proton Gen 2 hatchback which was launched in 2004.

According to most reviews, The Gen 2 Handling is good thanks to Lotus, but build quality is not that good.
    Another weakness is sound insulation, lots of Engine noise, Road noise and Wind noise.

I read that Proton made some improvements with the new Gen 2-based Persona sedan.
    Last edited by AG4; January 20th, 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Didn't Proton attempt to setup their factory here in the Philippines, in Pangasinan specifically? That must've been over a decade ago, under the Ramos administration. Parang Lancer itlog pa nga yung nilabas nila na Proton Wira. Nalugi lang ba talaga due to lack of sales?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by paolorenzo View Post
    Didn't Proton attempt to setup their factory here in the Philippines, in Pangasinan specifically? That must've been over a decade ago, under the Ramos administration. Parang Lancer itlog pa nga yung nilabas nila na Proton Wira. Nalugi lang ba talaga due to lack of sales?
    yup halos walaang bumili. the wira had the same engine and suspension as the mitsu lancer of the time, and even the body looked almost the same save for the badge. but they priced it a lot more, something like 100k more than the lancer. crazy! they ended up paying their employees with the unsold units later as they could not even pay the salaries due to almost zero sales.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    but they priced it a lot more, something like 100k more than the lancer. crazy!
    HUWWHHAAATTTT???!!! I wasn't aware of prices at that time, pero one would think it'll be a cheaper alternative to the Lancer...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    may nakausap ako malaysians just last month...yan nga daw ang parang toyota satin...sa kanila proton...at kaya daw mura lang sa kanila...

kasi mababa lang daw ang tax na ipinatong ng government.di katulad satin...grabe RVAT.!!! lalo na kapag financing..

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paolorenzo View Post
    HUWWHHAAATTTT???!!! I wasn't aware of prices at that time, pero one would think it'll be a cheaper alternative to the Lancer...
    I don't remember the exact prices, but Protons sold here were cheaper than the Lancers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup they were with 4 wheel disc brakes and better interior than the "egg" lancer...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    One complaint with the Gen.2 was that it didn't even have a glovebox. Talk about "minimalist" going too far.

The Persona fixed that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Malaysia's Proton...