New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Mag marlboro adventure ako, manila to cotabato. Mga brad, ano kaya ang pinakamagandang ruta na hindi ako ma-ambus.

naka drive na ako hangang liloan sa southern leyte at balak ko sanang mag ferry liloan-surigao. patulong naman sa ruta.

TY.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Been driving in Mindanao a couple of years back and been into different cities. Road conditions are very good, except of course sa mga mountainous area.

Let me think...so your jump-off point is from Surigao.

Find your way going to Butuan City (Agusan del Norte)
    Travel time: 3-4 hours
    Watch out for some unfinished/unpaved roads

From here...you need to get to Davao City

I can think of a couple of options:

OPTION 1: Butuan-Gingoog-Cagayan de Oro-Malaybalay(Bukidnon)-Davao Route

Travel time: total of 6-8 hours (approx.)

This is a good road and if you're looking for a scenic view, I suggest this route. Do expect a panoramic view and driving pleasure along the coast between Butuan and Gingoog and the view stretches until you reach Cagayan de Oro City. On the way you can see on the other side is the island of Camiguin. Expect some mountainous ascends and descends especially between Cagayan de Oro and Malaybalay (Bukidnon). You'll be passing by Manolo Fortich (home of the offroading competitions in the south). If you had driven in Bitukang Manok (Quezon), this place would be familiar though the curves are far more lenghty and treachy. Malaybalay is a city on top of the mountain then on your down you'll be passing by Valencia City and towns of Quezon. As you ascend again you'll find that there are unpaved but flat roads. Then later on you'll be seeing signs that says "Welcome to Davao City". Don't be fooled by this as to let you know, Davao is the biggest city in terms of land area in the world. So, from this sign it will take you about a couple of hours more before reaching city proper.

OPTION 2: Butuan-Prosperidad-Tagum-Panabo-Davao City ROute
    Travel Time: 8-10 hours (Approx.)

If you would base from the map, total distance using this option is considerably shorter but it is in fact hard to traverse. Brace yourself for some unfinished roads (terrible) especially between Butuan-Prosperidad-San Francisco. just expect driving in rough roads for about 3 hours. You'll see signs of hope when you reach the Agusan-Davao border as roads for this areas are very well paved, well signed and quite wider.

And when you're in Davao, you'll have other options as well.

OPTION 1: Davao-Kidapawan via Digos-Gen. Santos

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Just to continue (sorry po naputol)

OPTION 1: Davao-Kidapawan via Digos-Gen. Santos-Koronadal

Travel Time: 3-4 hours

Total flat out roads and a few driving along the coast of Davao Gulf. You'll encounter treacherous climbs ala-Baguio on the approach to Gen. Santos and upon descend you'll be on your way to Koronadal.

OPTION 2: Davao-Kidapawan via Tacurong
    Travel Time: 2-3 hours

A shorter route but a mountainous area as you'll find yourself within the foot of Mount Apo.

Again, these are all suggestions as there are other routes (perhaps) to choose from but base from my experience, these are the safest. Road conditions I have mentioned here are all couple of years back, some may have been repaired and some could have worsened.

Just a couple of question though? What ride will you be bringing? And what time (summer or now na)?

TIPS/ADVISORIES.
    1. Be sure to check your ride conditions. Bring all your tools especially spares (bulbs, fuse,etc and of course, tire). I suggest, if your ride is big enough to accomodate, better have a couple of spare tires. As you can see, you'll find yourself most of the time in rural areas where services would be scarce if not available.
    2. Check on local weather as this would greatly affect your travel time.
    3. Never drive at night. If its already late afternoon and you're in a city, I suggest you should spend the night there. Some areas are not clearly signed and you can have direction problems.

Driving in Mindanao is really an awesome experience. I've done it for over a year and I didn't encounter any hassles nor problems, thank God! Don't be shocked if you encounter some military checkpoints (in full battle gear plus tanks and canons) but they are courteous enough. I may also add that you should bring proper IDs and your vehicle's regs and papers. This would wipeout suspicions if you encounter such. But don't be afraid, people in Mindanao are friendly and disciplined. If you would ask me to choose between walking in Recto/Quiapo and in Mindanao, I would prefer the latter.

Again, just my opinion!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    maraming salamat vhenok!

malamang gamitin ko yung option 1, Butuan-Gingoog-Cagayan de Oro-Malaybalay(Bukidnon)-Davao Route.

gagamitin kong ride pajero gen1, bagong recondition ko. baka mid january ako umalis. so mga two days din pala aabutin yung trip.

abot pa sana ako ng durian season. balita ko P20 per kilo lang duon.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Good luck on your Roadtrip bro!

Mid-Jan is good. Btw, tiga-Kidapawan ka ba?

Yan din ang na-miss ko, the durian. Smells awful but tastes great. Try mo din Durian-flavored Magnolia Ice Cream, you can't find that anywhere else in the archipelago. Grabe sarap, pinag-aagawan pa nga yan kaya madalas nauubos sa suking snack house. Must try also kilawing bariles (tuna)....basta try mo lahat seafoods dun. Sure ka namang fresh lahat yun...and mura pa.

Anyways, balitaan mo na lang me....

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    WOW! Gen1, yan din sana ang gusto kong gawin....at Gen1 din ang plano kong gamitin!

Hindi nga lang ako familiar sa south ...pinakamalayong narating ko sa south ay Batangas (hehehehe)

vhenok:

How do you get across the islands? For example in Luzon, pag umabot ka na sa dulo ng Luzon...how do you get to the next island? RORO?

Do you think, taking the family along can be adviseable? Safe kaya? Sightseeing din kasi yan e...I have always wanted to see Davao...

Salamat po! Is the May-July season inadvisable to undertake this road trip?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    pparado:
    Of course, wala nang mas sasaya pa kapag kasama ko family. It's safe naman, yun nga lang I only drive during daytime whenever I go sa unfamiliar areas. This is the ultimate drive of a lifetime. Dala ka ng cam/pic to document this once in a lifetime journey, who knows baka matagal pa maulit.

Hhhmmm....May-July I think is medyo alanganin considering onset na ng rainy season, you might not want to get caught flooded in an unfamiliar town, or mud stuck somewhere, or maybe delayed ferry services due to bad weather. If you can do it much earlier the better or better yet to pray for a good weather.

If you're starting from Manila....
    Go on your way to the southernmost end of the Island of Luzon, it is in Matnog, Sorsogon Province (Bicol Region). You'll see an arch in the pier that says "YOU ARE LEAVING THE ISLAND OF LUZON".

Island hopping is very possible coz marami naman ferry services to accomodate any vehicles kaya no problem. RORO is an option pero what I know is malalayo na yung gap between piers of stop so you would missed out the adventure of driving on other places...eh di sulitin mo na, sayang di ba?

In my next post I will give infos/tips getting there...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Thank you very much for your reply...at aabangan ko yung mga tips mo!

"Island hopping is very possible coz marami naman ferry services to accomodate any vehicles kaya no problem. RORO is an option pero what I know is malalayo na yung gap between piers of stop so you would missed out the adventure of driving on other places...eh di sulitin mo na, sayang di ba?"
    -You mean, hindi lang pala RORO ang availability ng transferring vehicles between islands? And the ferry services you mentioned are plenty? and safer? and numerous? tama bang sabihin na: if I want to maximize the adventure...maraming ferry services (not RORO w/c is government) that will take vehicles across islands? hindi lang RORO pala?

*sencia na...kulit ko no?

"If you're starting from Manila....
    Go on your way to the southernmost end of the Island of Luzon, it is in Matnog, Sorsogon Province (Bicol Region). You'll see an arch in the pier that says "YOU ARE LEAVING THE ISLAND OF LUZON"."

-basta drive lang ako ng drive? past batangas....etc...hanggang marating ko yang sign na yan? Will I need to spend the night anywhere between Manila and Matnog? (kasi day driving nga is safer)

TY again...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    vhenok:
    hindi ako taga kidapawan. ma-assign lang ako ng mga three months. hindi na kasi ako sanay mag-public, kailangan laging may sariling auto.

ganda sana mag-organize ng trip with tsikoteers ikutin lahat ng major islands ng 'pinas. 'gawin natin with dept of tourism and sponsored by a fuel company like say shell.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    pparado:

kaya ng 10-12 hours ang trip to legaspi city which is a short detour on the way to matnog. legaspi to matnog, mga 3-4 hours. kung alis ka ng mga 6am, andoon ka before sunset. magayon hotel mga P200 pero common bathroom. ok na yun kung koboy ka, safe naman.

yung ibang hotels mga 1,000-1,200 per night, inclusive of breakfast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Land Trip to Kidapawan, Cotabato