New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, initial d nga nagpakilala ng ae86 sa new generation, including me. hehehe

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I used to wonder why such a old, lowly car like the AE86 was included in many racing video games, like Side by Side, Winding Heat and Battle Gear to name a few. What can this thing do anyway? Sure, it's the last RWD Corolla, but what else?

Initial D marked the rebirth of this car, exploiting its drifting prowess, how its driver is well trained in togue racing. The AE86 had no driver aids like ABS, traction control, stability control, etc. It was mentioned in the series that computer-controlled ABS cannot match the foot of a highly skilled driver. The car, I think, turns the driver into his own ABS. Other than braking, it is he who's in control, with no cheaters to conceal any error he may incur.

Another thing in my mind is the fact that there are Celicas, likewise RWD, that came along with the 86. I think there was even the Celica Supra, the high-performance version, before the Supra marque found itself in a separate car. While Initial D may have a slight bias, I don't see these cars being drifted. Perhaps they should be more able than a mere Corolla coupe.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    maybe kasi it's cheap as well? :D

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    maybe kasi it's cheap as well?
    True, thats a possibility...
    Other than being cheaper, the AE86 was smaller, lighter and more agile than the RWD Celica and 6-cylinder Celica Supra of the same era. It could also be tuned easily.

Toyota Celica Supra

Toyota Celica
    Last edited by AG4; March 11th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ...define "easily tuned". sorry, newbie on board B)

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In other words.... cheap to modify.

Asking why the Trueno was more popular than the Celica is like asking why more people tune Civic Si's and SiRs than Preludes... and the comparison doesn't end there...

The Celica Supra of the time was already midweight with a big engine. The Sprinter/Trueno was lighter, with a small engine up front that, over the years, could be tuned and swapped with more and more powerful 4AGEs. You can do anything with that little four banger, turbo, supercharge, naturally aspirated tunes... anything.

And because it's always a small and light 4-cylinder in front, the Trueno maintains an excellent weight balance through all of this.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thanks to Intial D... reselling price of Eight-Sixes went astronomical. IMO, it's an overhyped car nowadays. In stock form, I'll bet it won't be the best balanced car you could ever drive because it's a hatchback. By the proportion of its wheelbase, front and the back-end, I assume it would be front heavy, but not down to the nose. That's why that thing could easily drift with not-so-much power, because you could do a lot of drastic weight shifting.

Anyways, it's Initial D's fault why many people are crazy about AE86s. Same thing about the Skyline GT-Rs when Gran Turismo introduced it to the world.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4
    This is Keiichi Tsuchiya, the Drift King, he used an AE86 back in the 80's.

Here he is with the restored TRD modified AE86 Trueno which was given to him by Toyota.

PS: He is also the technical consultant for Initial D.
    I hope I could be a drift king too..someday..
    Ganda talaga ng AE86..

For me nauna ang AE86 kasi 1980s na car yun yung initial D. nasa 90s na naintroduce yun...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The AE86 isn't the only car around with ridiculous resale value. Thanks to the new BMW MINI, prices of old rattletrap Austin Minis have gone from 60k - 100k to over 250k. Too damn expensive for cars with rubber cone spring suspensions, horrible electricals (the best ones I've seen use japanese accessories) and questionable body integrity.

Damn... should've bought when I had the chance!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The AE86 isn't the only car around with ridiculous resale value. Thanks to the new BMW MINI, prices of old rattletrap Austin Minis have gone from 60k - 100k to over 250k. Too damn expensive for cars with rubber cone spring suspensions, horrible electricals (the best ones I've seen use japanese accessories) and questionable body integrity.

Damn... should've bought when I had the chance!
    ung barkada ng gf ko sobra mura lang din daw bili ng mini nila dati.

nag panget lang nga ung biglang pagtaas ng presyo ng ae86. considering 20 year old car dapat mura na lang yan, kaso ang mahal pa rin ata ngayon.

magkano na ba bentahan niyan ngayon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
initial D or AE86: which came first?