New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kideex View Post
    mga guru pano naman ung s mode sa bagong jazz. may paddle shifter, medyo confusing for me. tia

The paddle (bell) shifters allow you semiautomatic gear selection
    as in a F1 racecar you do not need to operate any clutch.

You just pull one of the paddles, left for down and right for up, and the transmission changes the gear on your command, but still fully automatical. Read your manual carefully.

Do you have a manual gearbox or automatic ?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kideex View Post
    i have the same queries about driving the a/t. How about the Do and Dont's tips in driving the auto tranny?
    im looking forward to your replies mga gurus, to avoid messing my a/t.
    TIA.
    Don't....and never rev the engine while shifting. hehehe. and as everyone says, everything else is automatic. Do.....have your battery checked regulary. a/t's have NO "kadyot" starting technique. When your battery dies, either have the battery replaced on-the-spot OR have your car towed to the nearest battery dealer.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Also during traffic (well at least me) I always shift to N (neutral) and if there is no slope then I just release my foot from the brake pedal. If there is a slope then I use the hand break so it does not move. Never use P to replace the hand break since it puts stress to the automatic tranny. Only use P when you truly are parking and getting out of the car, but at the same time also use the hand break. For most cases putting it in D is enough. Other manufacturers have gimmicks calling the last gear OVERDRIVE or O/D always have that activated regardless so you have access to the final gear. For Honda wala silang O/D button, if you put it into D thats already as if there is O/D, choose D3 if you want to drive up to 3rd gear only. 2 locks the gear to 2nd gear normally use for engine breaking to reduce stress from the foot break when climbing down. L locks the tranny to 1st gear good for steep climbs so there is power. For city driving though you only really need to use D, N, R and P.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    since you're planning a fort, guess it should be the same as the innova a/t.

• engine will start only on P or N position.
    • from P(stationary start) to D/R, can shift only while depressing the brake pedal
    • at D on stop it creeps sometime if you lift your foot out from the brake pedal, shift to N or use your brake
    • during parking, do engage first the handbrake before shifting to P especially on incline parking
    • going to Baguio - no problem with the D position but recommend to downshift while going down (engine brake * 3). sometimes i've seen forts that have slow braking power while on rapid descent
    read your manual before toying your fort... still your best bet for driving information, tips/recommendation! good luck

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Also during traffic (well at least me) I always shift to N (neutral) and if there is no slope then I just release my foot from the brake pedal. If there is a slope then I use the hand break so it does not move. Never use P to replace the hand break since it puts stress to the automatic tranny. Only use P when you truly are parking and getting out of the car, but at the same time also use the hand break. For most cases putting it in D is enough. Other manufacturers have gimmicks calling the last gear OVERDRIVE or O/D always have that activated regardless so you have access to the final gear. For Honda wala silang O/D button, if you put it into D thats already as if there is O/D, choose D3 if you want to drive up to 3rd gear only. 2 locks the gear to 2nd gear normally use for engine breaking to reduce stress from the foot break when climbing down. L locks the tranny to 1st gear good for steep climbs so there is power. For city driving though you only really need to use D, N, R and P.

In other words, P can not take a lot of "stress". So step on the brake when going away from an incline (as in inclined parking etc) and don't let go until you've shifted out of P.

Note on the OD button: some cars (like mine) have a POWER button rather than an OD button. Those 2 have entirely opposite meanings in terms of power and fuel consumption so please check your manual.

While shifting to N and handbraking during traffic is suggested, give the tranny a few seconds to engage when you shift back into gear before stepping on the gas. And never use N when coasting to a stop in case you have to give her gas pala. In other words, use N only when you're reasonably sure na medyo magtatagal kang hindi gumagalaw.

On the road/highway naman and you need a burst of speed like if you're overtaking, pressing on the gas all the way for a few seconds will not only give you more power but it will automatically shift you to a lower gear also.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    *pup2
    sori sir newbie po ako sa a/t, 1st timer talga ako gagamit ng ganitong tranny, may timplada din ba ang tapak sa gas?
    you said pagtinapakan ko ng husto ung gas it give me more power but lowers the gear???, pano naman pag half way down to the floor ang gas pedal. tia

*v6dreamer
    dunno yet wat type po sir, dis tues. palang namin makukuha unit. ty po

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    also, plant your left foot sa footrest until you get used to driving a matic. may tendency kasi na maghanap ka ng clutch,

btw, sorry to modify the question a bit but how do you drive an automatic in floods?

have never tried in the 6 years i've had my car. iwas baha ako palagi. curious lang.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    also, plant your left foot sa footrest until you get used to driving a matic. may tendency kasi na maghanap ka ng clutch,

btw, sorry to modify the question a bit but how do you drive an automatic in floods?

have never tried in the 6 years i've had my car. iwas baha ako palagi. curious lang.
    You drive an AT in floods the same way you drive an MT, slowly and very carefully.

BTT if you plan on going up steep inlcines for extended period of time, like a trip to Baguio, turn off the OD button so you won't overheat the transmission. Otherwise, read the owners manual so you'll know how to use your new vehicle.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    What if kung uphill ang drive like Baguio and walang option na 2, L and OD...safe ba na steady lang sa D?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Fort has no OD off button. It's equivalent on the gated-shifter is '3'.

Floods are easier to tackle with A/T's. And unlike M/T's with have lots of potential water entry points, most A/T's are sealed and have snorkeled breathers (Sentra A/T's breathe through the passenger compartment).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How to Drive an Automatic