New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I am getting a Fort which is arriving early next month. I have been driving an MT for the past 8 years and I have never driven an AT. Please help in giving me step-by step instructions on how to drive an AT and do include tips. Thank you and looking forward to your responses.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    For starters, you'll only need to shift to Drive (D) and just use the accelerator to go forward, and of course to slow down gradually, ease up on it, or release it all the way depending on how slowly or quickly you want to slow down. Use the brake pedal, obviously, for quicker braking/stopping. In case you need to use engine brake, you may shift down from D to 3, or 2, or L, depending on your current speed (the gears have upper limits, so try to memorize them).

Obviously, to go backwards, shift to R. Remember to use the shift knob when shifting to and from R (Reverse) and P (park). You also need to press the shift knob when downshifting from D to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to L. You may shift safely from N to D and vice-versa even when the vehicle is in forward motion.

Read the manual for more driving tips...

Hope this helps...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    i have the same queries about driving the a/t. How about the Do and Dont's tips in driving the auto tranny?
    im looking forward to your replies mga gurus, to avoid messing my a/t.
    TIA.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Sa Vios and Avanza manuals, sabi, bawal magtagal sa 2 at L (siguro, bawal din sa 3 ang Fortuner) kahit paakyat. Mag-o-overheat daw ang A/T transmission...

I heeded the manual noong umakyat kami sa Baguio, kaso, noong paakyat kami sa Mines View (hindi naman matarik masyado), medyo ayaw mag-downshift ng A/T, kaya napilitan akong mag-downshift manually to 2 (or switch the overdrive OFF for more power) noong medyo nabibitin... pero sa Marcos Hiway, oks naman kahit puro D lang ako, paakyat at pababa ng Baguio.

Siguro depende sa speed (at rpm) din... may kasunod kasi akong alanganin ang speed noon, kaya siguro nalito ang ECU ng Avanza ko... di makapag-decide na magdownshift, kasi nasa ~2000rpm siya.

Saka sandali lang naman yun, ilang seconds lang... kaya oks lang...
    Last edited by woohoo; October 18th, 2008 at 12:36 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Normally just place it in "D" ok ka na.

Medyo advanced technique na sa automatic ang engine braking technique and manually shifing up from L -> 2 -> D -> enable O/D.

Kahit sa mga paakyat, D lang Ok ka na.

Nasa manual naman lahat. :D

BTW, anong car nga pala ang bibilihin mo?
    Last edited by meledson; October 18th, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Duplicate thread. Mods kindly merge. Thanks.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Fortuner 4x2 diesel sasakyan ko. Tnx.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Mods pasensya na double thread nga kasi yesterday nage-error everytime I click submit - I thought di natutuloy yung new thread. Nakasubmit na naman ako a few minutes ago sa Toyota section. Paki-merge na lang. Thanks.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    1.There is no clutch pedal in an automatic transmission car.
    2.There is no gear shift in an automatic transmission car. Once you put the transmission into drive, everything else is automatic.

Visit this site:
    [SIZE=3]HowStuffWorks "How Automatic Transmissions Work"[/SIZE]
    There is no gear shift in an automatic transmission car. Once you put the transmission into drive, everything else is automatic. ...
    auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.ht... - 67k - Similar pages

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    mga guru pano naman ung s mode sa bagong jazz. may paddle shifter, medyo confusing for me. tia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How to Drive an Automatic