New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hi everybody! I have been browsing through this site and finally decided to be a member. I hope to learn a lot from all the postings and also be able to share them with others.

Before anything else, I would like to purchase a 2nd hand car and is wondering what are the things that I should take into consideration. First, there are a lot of postings in the internet selling cars and I am not familiar on the SOP's needed in negotiating if I wanted to buy and also the procedures (documentation, payment, etc). Please guide me.

Another thing, I am interested to buy Honda (1999 to 2001). What are the difference between VTI, LXI, and City? Would you know how much should I price these? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buying a car advertised in the internet is the same as buying a car from a second hand dealer. you have to test drive and inspect the car properly, to see the condition of the unit. you cannot just get a car advertised in the internet and that is it. secondly, you have to ensure that the papers are clean to make sure that it is not a hot unit. there are threads here that may help you on how to do it.

on the technical specs, honda vti and lxi are both fuel injected units. while the vti is on the top line level, with vtec engine, power amenities like power antennas, etc, lxi is a 1500 fuel injected car with minimal power amenities (e.g. windows, steering, etc.) both cars differ cosmeticallly too.

the city is a sub-compact car, with lxi and vti variants as well, but it is smaller than the city body wise. ang vti ata ng city is 1500 while the lxi is 1300.

for the price range:

1999-2001 vti: from 280k - 340k.
    1999-2001 lxi: from 250k - 280k.
    1999-2001 city vti: up to 250k.
    1999-2001 city lxi: somewhere between 220k-230k.

imho.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; April 10th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi happy_gilmore!

Usually the 2001 Honda City Vti that i see from Buy&Sell, Tsikot, Car Finder, etc. is around 280k-310k. Is this high? I think 280k-290k is ok if the car is in tip top condition and has low mileage. What do you think?

I am also looking out for a 2nd-hand car. Hopefully the one I'm currently checking out will be ok na.

TC tsikoteers!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    buying a honda is a good choice. but honda are known for its high resale value, but since you are on the buying end of a 2nd hand honda, high nga ang buying rate nyo. but that being said honda is indeed a good brand to buy.

i have sold a couple of my first owned cars. a 2000 honda city lxi (sold in 2003 for 270) and a 2003 toyota altis j (sold in 2005 for 450). based on the habits of my buyers here are what i observed (mga kakilala ko pa mga ito). they bring their mechanics with them (to really check the engine), test drive talaga. look into every cranny of the car to see kung may patong na paint (as in repaint kung may tama or dents dati). the test drive also will be able to expose the car's suspension, which kung pangit nabili mo, patay, gastos. they also asked for the service records (the seller can always get a better price if they have complete casa records to show). lastly, they look for the tires and battery, kasi mga iba, pinapalitan, if naka kuha ka ng discount tapos luma pala yung mga tires and battery, walang kwenta yung discount because those alone will set you back big time, for battery 2sm around 2.5-3.5k for tires around the same price but each yun so times for pa, thats easily 15k gastos hindi mo pa naeenjoy yung kotse, gastos na.

i guess, the most important kasi is to look for people na kakilala mo to sell (number one option) pag wala go to the internet or papers to look for first owned cars (2nd option) last option na talaga yung mga 2nd hand auto dealers. because mahirap mag haggle sa mga dealership, and they have ways to redress the cars they are selling.

for documentation:

the seller will ask for earnest money if you like to reserve (baka maunahan ka) mga 5k ok na yun, on your part ask for a receipt na they received the money.

once sarado na kayo sa price and you liked the car already, you pay for the balance (usually they will want it in cash (i do), managers check minsan ok din) once they pay, you should get the following from them to make the transaction complete.

1. signed deed of sale (not yet notarized)
    2. the original certificate of registration
    3. the original official receipt for current year's registration
    4. original papers of car insurance (compre or tpl)
    5. cars service records (if any, plus points pag meron kasi you will see the repair history)
    6. the car itself

*you should insist that you do the notarizing of the deed of sale, so that you are sure to get a copy and tell them that you will just send a notarized copy to them once you are done with it.

hope this helps. happy hunting, owning your first car (brand new or otherwise is liberating)

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    graystrike,

buying 2nd hand cars is both technical and emotional. I think the other posters discussed the technical side pretty well. So umpisahan mo sa papeles, then sa technicalities nung car.

Sa case ko na walang access sa mekaniko (at wala din akong alam gaano sa kotse), I look for service records. Pag walang service record, walk-away na. Sa experience ko kasi, yung mga responsible 1st owners always maintain a file of service history, and these are handed over to the 2nd owner. So kung walang service records, eh malamang may itinatago about the car.

You have to handle your emotions, lalu na kapag nakakita ka ng kotse na makinis, makintab at mabango sa loob. Hwag kang magmadali...Take your time to check the car, compare it with your other prospects. Never rush in to a sale....unless kilala mo yung may-ari.

Alamin mo din yung price range ng specific models...para alam ko kung hanggang saan ka tatawad.

Use the car dealership for benchmarks...para may reference ka. Pero they should be your last option...sabi nga nung isang poster. Try to get cars from 1st owners.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting. enjoy the experience.

Help! I want to buy....