New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    hi peeps, sorry kung wrong forum ang pinagpostan ko, wala kasi yung The Workshop.

quick question lang:

my ride is 79 mitsu lancer, yung big eyes (headlights )na bilog.
    it's kinda old na, and di ko naman mashado nagagamit.
    usual level ng gas nya ay 1/4 lang (as seen sa gauge) now kung bigla ba ako magfull tank ay makakaapekto ba yun sa performance ng makina?

sensha kung dumb question. i heard some stories lang about filling up a gas tank that usually ain't full. they say pag matagal nang low level lang ang gas tank, magkakaroon na ng residue yung upper part ng tank na di nababasa ng gasoline, then it will turn to rust.

now, pag finull tank ko na, parang winashout ko lang yung buong tank at pinainom ko lahat ng dumi sa makina? ganun ba logic nun. hope nagets nyo what im tryin to say.

please advice. thanks mga tsikoteer!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    For the most part, modern cars have rust-resistent linings/coatings on the inside of the tanks. However, all cars will end up collecting small amounts of rust and residue on the bottom of the tank anyway.

For this reason, you never want to wait until the fuel light comes on to fill up, since by that point, you'll be sucking gas from the bottom of the tank, and (you guessed it) you'll be sucking that sediment on the bottom with it.

Don't worry about rust; it's inevitable in small amounts. Just remember to keep your tank topped up, and it shouldn't pose a problem.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    thanks for replying.

im just worried lang kasi, the last time i did it with another car (79 mitsu sigma), after ko i-full tank from what i occassionally did (panay 1/4), kumatok ang makina!

what happened was, nagkatubig from radiator yung oil lining ng engine. they mix up na talaga, na tipong tubig at langis na magkasama sa radiator at makina. i dont really know what is the real deal about what happened. baka rin may tama na talaga lining ng cooling system ng engine. nasama ko lang un "full tank" issue when i isolated that problem. kaya now dunno kung uulitin ku ba un

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sorry, I don't speak tagalog at all (I'm trying to learn, and I think I understood the general gist of what you're saying).

If coolant managed to get into your engine chamber, then you have a completely separate radiator leak issue. It is very unlikely that the two are linked. You definitely want to have your radiator looked at if you're getting leaks, though.

EDIT: You may also want to have your engine checked for cracks. This sometimes happens after an overheated and subsequently cracked block/head.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Kung worried ka, why not just have your tank drained and inspected before filling up? It'll take an hour, maybe less at your suking gas station, after all. May drain plug naman 'yang fuel tank eh.

Dati nagpa-drain ako, may nakita pa akong ipis sa loob. hehehe.

I agree. Before pa kumatok yung makina nung isang car mo, may diprensya na na medyo malaki. Hindi dapat naghahalo ang tubig at langis ever. (Naks parang pelikula ni Ate Vi). Kung sakali, na-aggravate lang siya nung nangyari sa gas.

full tank