New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drave View Post
    You can't over-rev an A/T due to the rev limiter (self protection). I use the L or 1, 2, or 3 depending on the angle of incline or decline. The steeper the angle, the lower the gear, just like in M/T.

Don't be afraid to use those gears. That's the reason why they are there.
    The rev-limiter works by cutting off gasoline supply to the engine when it reaches a pre-defined RPM ceiling (usually near redline). However, the rev-limiter is irrelevant when the torque that turns the engine is coming from the car's momentum.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    *TS

thats right the lower Gears on a AT tyranny such as L/1, 2 & 3 are made for downhill to slow down your car.

I usually use this gears when i go down from Baguio, Gamit na gamit hehehe, it helps in your braking & slowing down.

just my 2 cents

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    downshifting is the right thing to. it wont harm our engine of tranny, just do it gradually and with the help of the brakes so as not to overrev.
    especially on long declines like baguio, you dont want to overheat your brakes an loose stopping power on the steep decline

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Just a while ago, I tried using "L" on the downhill descent at MOA's car park. Whereas before when it was in "D", I had to keep on braking to slow it down. Now with "L", it was so effective that I barely had the need to step on the brakes at all.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Now with "L", it was so effective that I barely had the need to step on the brakes at all.
    And that is what you want to happen when you are going down a long downhill road.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by babang09 View Post
    Mga Sir,

pag downhill ba ang takbo pwedeng ilagay sa L ang gear ng AT. may nabasa kasi ako na bawal daw at sisitrain yung tranny pero may nabasa din naman ako na ok lang.
    agree that you can do this as what most of the posters here said.

if i may add, there are ATs found in other car brands that have this so-called feature: Grade Logic Control (i.e. for Honda vehicles); i'm sure other car brands have something similar (e.g. hill descent control), wherein once you set a specific speed, e.g. cruise control, this feature will limit the speed of the vehicle to a narrow range from the set limit and is specially helpful on long stretches of steep downhill grade (even winding) roads. i believe this feature senses a change in road grade, beyond a pre-determined limit, and automatically does the management of maintaining your set speed. :thumbup:

in my own experience, this feature works great specially on several miles of steep downhill and sometimes even winding roads, and where you have to maintain a certain speed limit at the same time. :2thumbsup:

so if your car is equipped with this feature, then you can either let this feature kick in or override the feature by manually shifting as posted above.

hope this helps

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    And that is what you want to happen when you are going down a long downhill road.
    Wow si sir ghosthunter, ang dami na post since 2002. ngayon lang ulit ako naka visit dito sa tsikot. nasa yo pa ba yung galant gti mo na isinali mo sa slalom sa luneta?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

And the manual says (at least in our ride) that you cannot engage L for a long time..... So, make sure you go back to D after you're through with your ascent or descent....

8303:dishwash:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Downhill shifting for an AT